The Modern Market

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well Modern has been having an interesting affect on the market. Some things I noticed just today:

Grove of the Burnwillows - If only I'd bought some four days ago.

Vesuva - I remember when these where $0.99 each...those were good times.

And something everyone noticed some time ago:

Shock Lands - 50% price rise. Regret not buying them now?

Even with StarCityGames' slightly bloated prices that's pretty much what they are most places, with a deviation of $1.00 - $3.00. So, my question is, what other cards do you think will be seeing price hikes (invest now, while they're cheap) and which do you think are just temporary rises and should be ignored?

Right now I'm keeping a close watch on Tunnel Ignus, Ethersworn Canonist, Wurmcoil Engine, Disrupting Shoal, Summoner's Pact, Dramatic Entrance, Realms Uncharted, and Demigod of Revenge.
I'm glad I got my playset of Vesuva a couple years ago, when they were reasonably priced.

I imagine once Pro Tour Philadelphia gets over with and we see some of the more solid decks the format has produced. Anything that's on those lists that isn't already expensive will probably go up in price.

As for what I think might be going up some time soon; I'm also watching Summoner's Pact and Dramatic Entrance, since they could be a potent mix with something like Progenitus. Artifact control could be good, so Ethersworn Canonist is something to consider as well. I'm also watching anything associated with Twelve-Post and anything that might give Zoo trouble.
Considering the whole point of modern is to keep the price manageble through reprints, I think we're seeing a bit of a bubble right now. I guess if you need the cards now you have to pay a premium, but since it's an "eternal" format I'm in no rush. In fact I just sold a set of Dark Confidants for an insane profit. I'll miss Bob. At least until he's reprinted.
Yeah, Shocklands just skyrocketed.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
It probably isn't what I should have done but I finally broke down and bought some Bobs, sniped an ebay auction at a painful 135.

*sigh*

I traded a JTMS for a playset of bob a little while back, seemed good then, and better now. Goyf at £70 is a kicking though. Just as well I don't play green.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
The price of Tarmogoyf (¥7990 at my local shop) is the reason why I don't play green, which has always bothered me. Can't play Zoo, can't play Bant, can't play Jund; the list just keeps going and going. Pretty much anything that is green and isn't combo uses Goyf.

I suppose banning Jace at least eliminates some of the need to sell your own organs for card money. You can now keep your stomach and one lung. You'll need to sell all the others to afford everything else.
The price of Goyf is focusing me into Red/White/Black, which is fine as they're my favorite colors...but I do NOT have the land base and won't be paying for it either.

Dat Shock price...

I traded a JTMS for a playset of bob a little while back, seemed good then, and better now. Goyf at £70 is a kicking though. Just as well I don't play green.

This goyf **** is bugging me. I just sat down to look at the idea of building a modern deck. Probably bant based, mostly cause I have a playset of Knight of the Reliquaries and Noble Hirearchs left over from Conflux kicking around.  The price on that card made me throw that away.

Reason I'm quoting you Cyrus is that I'm curious if your twinsanity has any place in Modern. It still remains one of my favorite decks to play, and I still have most of the shell for it (CC's Twincasts and Sanitys).

In keeping on target, has anyone noticed or predicting any price jumps for any specific blue spells?
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
Twinsanity has no place in a meta where Eldrazi dudes, living end, KotR, and splinter twin all have a serious presence.

Photobucket
I'm watching the price on Goryo's Vengeance...using it with fauna shaman and Emrakul......isane.

I just bought 24 for $.99 each.... 
Emrakul doesnt stay in graveyards. As soon as you put him in, you shuffle the gy into your library
Emrakul doesnt stay in graveyards. As soon as you put him in, you shuffle the gy into your library

You can respond to Emrakul's "is put into a graveyard from anywhere" trigger by casting Goryo's Vengeance which will cheat Emrakul onto the battlefield, preventing it from being shuffled into your library.