Psionics: Do you treat it as similar or different from magic?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know there is a section detailing this in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, but I won't have access to my books for two weeks (moving to Arizona).

Does this cause an imbalance when you treat it the same (or different) from magic? Is there an even field for the two?

If you treat it the same or different, what made you come to the solution you chose?
Treat it the same as magic. Treating it different will make a mess of the game.

The only reason it's even mentioned is because 2E hammered away at the idea and the authors felt compelled to include it for the sake of 'tradition'.
Same. Fluff-wise you can think of the source as different, but no more so than Arcane and Divine are different.

Once you get to the level of effects and mechanics, things need to be the same to prevent you either needing a psionic character to fight the psionic monsters, or vice-versa that your psionic character gets destroyed by all mind flayers (by RAW, this is exactly what would happen in 2E psionics, unless a considerable amount of homebrewing or cheating is used to power up the psionic character, which then turns out unbalanced as it gets to do loads of extra stuff).

What do you mean by different?

I mean I treat it different when it comes down to the fluff and appearance. The only crunch difference between psionics and arcane is that psionics have more forced movement effects.

As far as Psionics go I like them, especially with running dark sun. Dark Sun turns Psionics into the main staple while the Arcane powers are turned into destructive forces.
Ant Farm
What do you mean by different?

I mean I treat it different when it comes down to the fluff and appearance. The only crunch difference between psionics and arcane is that psionics have more forced movement effects.

As far as Psionics go I like them, especially with running dark sun. Dark Sun turns Psionics into the main staple while the Arcane powers are turned into destructive forces.

In 3.5's Expanded Psionics Handbook, there was an option to treat psionics as not-magic.  Detect Magic wouldn't find psionics, and a Null Psionics Field wouldn't impair magic, for example.

It was a really bad idea.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

In 3.5's Expanded Psionics Handbook, there was an option to treat psionics as not-magic.  Detect Magic wouldn't find psionics, and a Null Psionics Field wouldn't impair magic, for example.

It was a really bad idea.

Only thing like that, that I do, is make rolls for identifying psionic weapons with insight checks. Detect Magic identifies that it is a psionic weapon, but insight tells you what it is.
Ant Farm
I would just tend to describe their effects differently, if possible, but supernatural is supernatural. Doesn't much matter how it comes about.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Thematically, I allow some differences with Psionic classes.  

The differences are:
* Psionic implements do not need to be held.
* Using a psionic power does not create an observable stream of energy; the target is simply affected if it is hit.
* Psionic powers do not require verbal or semantic components; the Psion or such "wills" something to happen, and, if the attack hits, the target is affected.  For instance, a Psionic power that stuns a target could be the result of the Psion entering the target's mind, finding a specific childhood memory, and bringing that memory to the surface; the target would be lost in its childhood thoughts for a short period of time.  

The reasoning behind my madness comes from role playing qualities.  A Psionic character can appear to be a normal fighter, a weaponless merchant, or any other profession.  So far, this has added quite a bit to the adventures and NPC interactions, and I'm very pleased with the outcome.  

With that said, the game's rules for combat, combat advantage, or other mechanical limitations or situations are not affected.  A Psionic character is in just as much danger as any other class when combat starts, but, during role-played interactions, the Psionic character--especially the Psion--has the distinct ability to pass itself off as a non-threatening individual.

By the by, these seemingly beneficial aspects of playing a Psion or any Psionic class have not caused anyone to abandon his or her current character.  Swords, armor, and good ol' lightning bolts and fireballs are still the players' favorites. 
Honestly, yeah, I would treat them differently.  Psychic energy is not the same as magic, pure and simple.
You have arcane magic.
You have divine magic.
You have psionic magic.

They are ALL magic!  'Dispel Magic' works on them all in the same way.
for my part i tend to seperate magic and psionics, in terms of where the power exactly comes from, this doesn't have to be so of course, but i like the fact that it isn't simply the same flavor.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/8.jpg)

My view on the "Magic trio" has always been that Divine magic always comes from an outside source (Even when you could "embody Domains", I always figured you'd just captured one of the God(desse)s attention for your dedication.), Psionics always comes from within (even if it was unlocked by some outside stimulation) and Arcane magic comes from the energies of the world/life (Sorcerers tap their own life essance while Wizards learn to unlock the world around them).

Things like Dispell Magic can be seen to dampen the potential in those three forms of magic (the Divine's link to their Diety, the Psion's inner core and for the Arcane it actually dampens the world's energies themselves for Wizards and work the same sort of way as for Psions for Sorcerers).

[And with those five sents tossed into the pot, I head out for the weekend.]
Sign In to post comments