Zendikar Post-Eldrazi (Just for Reading)

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just part of a YmtC project. For the third time, I attempted to create a full set by myself (Yes, the other 2 didn't make it through.)

This is not a flavor project, but I thought its a waste to have my background lingering in my word documents only.

Obviously fan-made, and created so because I don't see WotC messing with Zendikar for at least the next half-decade.

Zendikar Post-Eldrazi and Planeswalkers
100 years has passed since the events of "Rise of the Eldrazi".

Zendikar fought bravely, but eventually lost to the plane-eaters of the Aether, who have successfully broken free of their physical-prison-forms and have since left the plane.

The plane is now barren, however the plane still survives. Having prepared its defenses for the past 1000 years the Eldrazi were dormant under its crust, Zendikar did not completely fold under the crushing existence and appetite of the Eldrazi Titans.

The roil that once made the plane unstable was the key to its survival. Today, the roil is severely weakened as the plane was devoured, stabilizing the plane’s structure. Today’s Zendikar is no longer the violent land it once was, and mana sources steadily leak bit by bit from various sources.

Like the plane, some of its denizens have survived, having adapted to harsh conditions for many generations. Now, these tribes scatter and fight to claim for territories, based on their preferences of mana.

Boundaries have been redefined and locations renamed. The gods that many tribes have revered are now renounced in the revelation of the Eldrazi and their purpose, or lack of it. Today’s tribes stand for themselves and only themselves, living the life they envision.

Planeswalker that saw the destruction of Zendikar recognised the potential of the now barren-but-rebuilding plane. Some of them have stepped in, attempting to make Zendikar a stronghold of theirs.

One of these planeswalkers is Velocity, the first sentient Weird. Created by the Izzet Magewrights on the plane of Ravnica, Velocity gained sentience and fought for his freedom. During the course of the Guildwars as the Guildpact entered is dissension phase, Velocity claimed victory in the form of survival. After ascending to a planeswalker and the creation of personal planar portals, Velocity sought out planes habitable for his species to thrive on. And Zendikar is such a plane he had found. Now Velocity has stepped in, determined to make Zendikar a haven for his kind, in the name of both freedom and progress of his species.

However, Nissa Revane, the elvish planeswalker from Zendikar seeks to keep the outsiders out from Zendikar, in the belief that the plane only belongs to the deserving surviving tribes of the Eldrazi onslaught for the past 100 years. She unites the elvish tribes of Zendikar together and seeks to claim much of Zendikar territory for her own, driving out the Weirds.

The demon Ob Nixilis, who had once fallen in the plane of Zendikar, resulting in the loss of his spark and fracturing of his soul, has successfully restored them during the course of attempting to defeat the Eldrazi Spawn Lineage. He fell during the course of battle against the endless legions of Eldrazi, but awoke to find himself alive and saved by a piercing rift of white mana, a result of the dying roil. Accepting the fate that he was powerless against a force that took away his planned revenge for the plane, he ran into the rift, expecting to be pulverised. Instead, he found himself reenergised and had his spark restored. Now, Ob Nixilis remains on Zendikar, no longer bent on revenge. A demon he may still be, but his enlightenment reduces his vindictiveness, while granting him powers no other demon has wielded. Now he seeks to establish his own personal stronghold around the border of the white and black mana zones, where he had reignited his spark.

Major Tribes of Zendikar
The Kor are among the most numerous of survivors, being well adapted to dangers everywhere. Now that they plane has settled down, some of the Kor seek to establish community and order, leading to the creation of towns and cities. However, many Kor are too used to the lifestyle of an adventurer and consistently move in the mountain ranges of Zendikar, only staying briefly in small settlements in the area. Regardless of choice, the Kor maintain respect for each other, and the business of treasure-finding and blacksmithing still continues strongly in Kor culture.

The Merfolk, similarly, have survived in decent numbers. Resultant of the settlement of the plane, the Merfolk split themselves in similar fashion to the Kor, some preferring forming colonies underwater or on the shores, while others continue the life of adventurers in the depths of Zendikar. However, the merfolk are especially upset over the revelations of their "gods" as the Eldrazi Titans and their disdain is obvious. Now they only believe on what is real and living and many Merfolk are also researching on the various life forms of Zendikar, especially those in the seas, on the shorelines and in the forests where water is abundant.

The Vampires, now freed from slavery to the Eldrazi as the titans have left and the Lineage is largely dead, enjoy their freedom. Determined not to fall under another pact of slavery, the Vampires quickly regrouped into their various clans, led by a Bloodchief. The Bloodchiefs had met to defined boundaries clearly so as to minimalise disputes between clans and continue to meet once a year to update each other on statuses, as well as for the annual friendly matches, wagering their territory in hope of winning more. The Vampires are highly territorial, protecting viciously against invaders and yet extremely hospitable to visitors and allies to their territory, an organised civilisation.

The Vampires recognise Ob Nixilis as a formidable force, and consider him superior to their bloodchiefs. They do not pay tribute to him in any form as it amounts to slavery to him, but respect his stronghold area as well as his power. Fortunately Ob Nixilis is satisfied that his stronghold is well-defined, considers the Vampires’ territorial nature and that their domain surrounds his as a natural defense and therefore does not seek to expand his territory over to the Vampires’. Major disputes between vampire tribes often result in the request for Ob Nixilis as the final judge, and few object to his decisions.

The Goblins of Zendikar did not survive the Eldrazi onslaught and have gone extinct. As a result, the majority of the mountainous regions are inhabited by the Weirds brought into Zendikar by Velocity, with a scattering of Kor settlements. Many of the mountains were converted to superstructures for the Weirds to use as accommodation and laboratories. The Weirds adapted to the mountainous lifestyle rather easily. Most sentient Weirds are in charge of various laboratories dedicated to a variety of causes, including the study of mana, spellcraft and the biodiversity of Zendikar. A minority found their place in the industries mining and crafting, associating their businesses with the Kor settlements in the mountains. The Kor are generally open to the Weirds in the mountains and conduct businesses with them. In the areas where the mountains comes in contact with streams, rivers or the oceans, business is done with the merfolk, who find the unnatural form of Weirds uncomfortable, but still considers the Weirds allies as they are willing to establish friendly relations. The Weirds very seldom come into contact with Vampires and most encounters are fleeting.

The elves of Zendikar have been united by Nissa Revane and are the tribe most against the entry of the Weirds. As such, the mountainous forest borders are heavily patrolled. Many elves wield death magic now and elvish territory is highly unwelcoming to visitors of any form. Occasionally, the elves invade into mountainous regions, wanting to drive the Weirds out of Zendikar, but are almost always repelled successfully by a mix of mountainous inhabitants.

Other tribes of Zendikar
Many of the other species of Zendikar still survive to this day.

The angels no longer revere Emeria and now simply dedicate themselves to blessing those they deem worthy. Many angels are considered saintly guardians of Kor Settlements, may it those in mountainous regions or large cities. The Sky Ruins have already collapsed and the area is one many go to when they seek audience with the angels.

The various life forms of the oceans, such as crabs, jellyfish, octopuses and krakens still thrive in the depths of Zendikar and are favourite study subjects of Merfolk Researches. Lorthos and Wrexial went missing and are presumed dead and the Sphinxes are as elusive as ever that it is often wondered if they survived the Eldrazi onslaught.

The various horrors of Zendikar such as shades and specters still exist. Demons still lurk on Zendikar but are few in number and most avoid Ob Nixilis’ stronghold.

The wild beasts of the mountains still exist. Elementals, dragons, boars, ogres and Minotaurs still run in the area. Kazuul fell in battle against the lineage and the mountain passes are largely accessible without extortion as a result, but the dangers remain.

The beasts of the forest have largely survived. However, due to the increasing taint of death magic of the expanding elvish territory, the beasts became more concentrated in certain areas and many wild battles between these beasts occur in these areas.

Humans have also survived, but most of them are unwelcomed in the Vampire and Elf territories. As a result, most of them inhabit in settlements of the Kor. Some choose to mingle with the Weird society in the mountains or the merfolk establishments on the shorelines.

While reading this I constantly had the feeling like I was reading the last part of a three-block structure. It doesn't really feel like a sequel to Zendikar, more like a sequel to Zendikar's sequel.

Zendikar: Setting up the scene, letting us know what's what and introducing the Eldrazi. Gideon goes off to find reinforcements.

Block 2: Continuation of Rise of the Eldrazi. We see combat against the Eldrazi, the races of Zendikar united with the help of Gideon's Superfriends. The Eldrazi are too powerful to be defeated, but are eventually scared away, making them Somebody Else's Problem.

Your Block: The aftermath.

Anyway, nothing wrong with that, just wanted to point it out.

Other things I noticed:

- First of all, I don't think created creatures can ascend as a planeswalker, so Velocity doesn't really make sense.

- You kill of all major legends, except for Ob Nixilis, the Fallen. While not weird on its own it seems out of character to have an easy redemption. The little bit we know of him points to him wanting to destroy or rule Zendikar. At best he's a third party in Block 2, at worst he collaborates with the EldrazI.

- Vampires have the same problem as Ob Nixilis. They are either servants or collaborators neither of which will improve their standing with the rest of the plane. Their numbers will be low when the Eldrazi are gone and their enemies many, so having them group up is a sensible move.

- The Goblin genocide really bugs me. If any race should be wiped out it should have been either Elves (because their long lifespan they would have little children) or Vampires (see above). The Zendikar Goblins seem particularly resilient. You seem to have killed them of for the sake of introducing your Blue/Red tribe that doesn't make sense in the first place.

- Lastly, where are the Surrokar?

I did like reading it (despite my critique), it's just wildly different from how I would've done it.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Its does sound like a Zendikar Block 3, because Gideon didn't get the team on in time (Now that you mentioned it, I should reduce the 100 year count to like 30 or so). The Eldrazi vs Zendikar "war" was just a one-sided slaughter. The Eldrazi weren't scared off Zendikar, they devoured the plane whole and as a result, broke out of the physical prison the Lithomancer planeswalker placed them in. I couldn't see how to create a set out of Eldrazi devouring Zendikar while every denizen atttempts to survive.

But the plane and its denizens had 1000 years to prepare, and therefore unlike most planes, they actually "survived".

As for created creatures having sparks, Karn Liberated seems to imply its possible. I don't find it too farfetched that the Izzet have indirectly created a "spark" when Karn can operate with Venser's heart, despite not having any circulatory system to maintain it. (Yes, and from that, we concluded Yawgmoth just had no luck creating it then.)

Most legends died against the Eldrazi, except Ob Nixilis, because its most probable that he survives, having ascended once before. The deaths of the rest magnifies the destruction done by the Eldrazi on the plane. It wasn't out of character, Ob Nixilis tried taking down the lineage as his vegeance for Zendikar was stolen by them (destroying the plane instead of him doing so) and failed in the process. He nearly died before the unstable, dying roil "chose" to pierce him with a stream of white mana. He's now effectively .

The Vampires have also lost much of their numbers, accounting for their tamed down nature and unity. As servants of the Eldrazi (they were bound to serve), they lost numbers both to any resistance as well as their own masters (The Eldrazi don't look like they care if they annihilated a few thousand of their own servants while moving about).

Maybe I'll need to change the goblin part. You are right, they are resilient. I just didn't see them interested in science all of a sudden. Maybe they've been relegated to a minor race, many working alongside (read: under) the Weirds.

And yes, I forgot about the Surrakar. I'll think of something up.

The background was based on the following enemy-colored tribes.
- Vampires
- Weirds
 - Elves
 - Kor
- Merfolk    
but the card near-death experience shows emakruel dead

No... it doesn't.
… and then, the squirrels came.

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's official: this meme is the new "Marit Lage Is An Eldrazi!"

It took a while, but the Wizards Forums did not disappoint.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
As for created creatures having sparks, Karn Liberated seems to imply its possible. I don't find it too farfetched that the Izzet have indirectly created a "spark" when Karn can operate with Venser's heart, despite not having any circulatory system to maintain it. (Yes, and from that, we concluded Yawgmoth just had no luck creating it then.)

The reason Karn has a spark was the conglomeration of the Legacy intergrating Urza's spark and soul (as well as about a thousand others) into Karn's frame.

Karn before ascension and after ascension are two different beings. Karn after ascension is actually the gestalt consciousness of all those beings folded into Karn's guiding mind. He actually has Urza and Gerrard's memories. He's a much more complex being, even if Karn remained the dominant personality.

It's not like Urza bloody well created a spark for Karn. Created beings have to jump through hoops to get a spark and sparks cannot be created.

Meanwhile, Venser's heart still makes no sense.
And I am disappointed in all of you that knew all this and didn't correct him.

The reason Karn has a spark was the conglomeration of the Legacy intergrating Urza's spark and soul (as well as about a thousand others) into Karn's frame.

Karn before ascension and after ascension are two different beings. Karn after ascension is actually the gestalt consciousness of all those beings folded into Karn's guiding mind. He actually has Urza and Gerrard's memories. He's a much more complex being, even if Karn remained the dominant personality.

It's not like Urza bloody well created a spark for Karn. Created beings have to jump through hoops to get a spark and sparks cannot be created.

Meanwhile, Venser's heart still makes no sense.
And I am disappointed in all of you that knew all this and didn't correct him.

I think what you're missing is that it is less important that it make any sort of sense than it is that their be a Weird Planeswalker.

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

The biggest criticism i have with the material in the original post is that it skips over the most interesting part: the people of Zendikar trying to fight off the Eldrazi!