Disarming build

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there any build that is good at disarming opponents?  I know that there are a number of builds that are good at grappling/grabbing but I am looking for the next step, to disarm the opponent.  It doesn't need to be through physical strength either, eg using a called shot from a bow to disarm an opponent.  Any ideas?
I don't think 4e has rules for disarming, or for called shots.
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me

The only ability in the game that can disarm anyone is Exorcism of Steel, fighter attack 17.

(Well, the only PC ability.  Jarlaxle Baenre can also do it.)
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.

The only ability in the game that can disarm anyone is Exorcism of Steel, fighter attack 17.

(Well, the only PC ability.  Jarlaxle Baenre can also do it.)

Haha geez... I've been in several campaigns and run one where that power would have just demolished a climactic event in the plot.
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
in lue of disarming it is all about penalties to attack rolls. stack enough penalties and they are effectively disarmed
Why go for the arms, let your grass eat away their legs.
Convince your DM to give you a Rust Monster as a mount?
Thinking way outside the box; isn't there a rogue at-will that lets you pick pocket as part of the attack?
You could just dominate them and make them drop their weapon, or you could knock them unconscious and take their weapon.
SquashuaY, you are probably thinking of Palming Strike which lets you draw an item as a free action.  The Rogue does have a few encounter utility powers related to does this.  I hadn't thought of using dominate, anyone got ideas which class is best at that?
It's worth noting here, that by strict RAW, monsters don't actually use [W] dice at all.  None of their powers rely on them actually having their weapons.  A disarmed monster is just as capable of killing you as before it was disarmed.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
True, but if I am in a group with that kind of DM then I am looking for a new group.  But it is a valid point.  Also as a note, none of my current DMs are that strict on RAW.  I am sure that monsters that use natural weapons (ie a wolf) they wouldn't let me disarm, but those that actually use a weapon (ie a goblin) they would.
Indeed.  As a DM, I wouldn't do it, I was just pointing out the RAW.  It's also worth being aware that the DM has to do some on-the-fly calculation to take away weapons from enemies, and they won't become as much less effective as you would in the same situation, because they have no enhancement bonus to hit to lose.  So, disarm my goblin, he loses proficiency, so loses 2 to hit, and his damage dice drop down to Xd4 + static.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Yeah, I was just trying to build someone like Eliot Spencer (the Hitter) from Leverage.  Or at least with his combat style.
It's worth noting here, that by strict RAW, monsters don't actually use [W] dice at all.  None of their powers rely on them actually having their weapons.  A disarmed monster is just as capable of killing you as before it was disarmed.

Many humanoid adversaries, especially those presented in more recent books, have the (weapon) keyword on some of their power entries.  While it is within the DM's purview to rule that a creature's powers work with different weapons than the equipment listed in their description, or no weapons at all, this keyword should give a pretty good indication of what creature powers are intended to function through a weapon.

As previously stated, however, this doesn't clarify as to what happens if you deprive the creature of its listed equipment. 
Yeah, I was just trying to build someone like Eliot Spencer (the Hitter) from Leverage.  Or at least with his combat style.

Well then that's much easier.  Knock your opponent unconscious, and then pick their weapon up!

Not necessarily; there are some monster powers that say 'requires quarterstaff' or 'requires wand' or whathaveyou.  They are pretty few and far between, however.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
SHould've said most monsters, I agree - though I've yet to run across a statblock like that myself, that's probably because I've only really run LFR.
SHould've said most monsters, I agree - though I've yet to run across a statblock like that myself, that's probably because I've only really run LFR.

Quick look in the Compendium actually turned up a surprising number of them. Its sort of a bizarre requirement since all of the creatures I looked at had only the required weapon in their gear.