Boundless endurance

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

PHB p78 Boundless endurance

How long does this last - the entire encounter while you are bloodied?

Usually yes but stances also end when you fall unconscious.

Rules Compendium p120, 316: Duration: A stance lasts until the character assumes another stance or until the character falls unconscious or dies. A stance also ends at the end of the encounter, unless the stance can be assumed at will
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Rules Compendium p120, 316: Duration: A stance lasts until the character assumes another stance or until the character falls unconscious or dies. A stance also ends at the end of the encounter, unless the stance can be assumed at will

Which was a very, very STUPID rules change, and I highly recommend it be ignored.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Which was a very, very STUPID rules change, and I highly recommend it be ignored.

At first glance I'm not seeing any At Will stances so I guess thats ok - but I agree it wouldn't make much sense to have a permanent for the whole adventure stance. (whole adventure forget about it - whole life until i change my stance lol).

Stances still only last until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes even if you remain conscious, so except for the at will stances of essentials classes, no permanent stances.
At first glance I'm not seeing any At Will stances so I guess thats ok - but I agree it wouldn't make much sense to have a permanent for the whole adventure stance. (whole adventure forget about it - whole life until i change my stance lol).

I assume you mean 'apart from the martial essentials classes' (all of whom have multiple at-will stance powers)
Chandrak's awesome solutions to the 5-minute workday 'problem'
97183719 wrote:
Seeing as there is a disconnect between balance (quantifiable) and fun, (subjective and personal) discussing fun in a thread about balance because you find one system more enjoyable than another is as helpful as discussing religion in a thread about architectural engineering because you think cathedrals look prettier than outhouses.

Yes, this.  "Stances end when you fall unconscious" is a TERRIBLE rules change that serves no purpose, and should be ignored because it unjustifiably nerfs all the Daily Stances.

At first glance I'm not seeing any At Will stances so I guess thats ok - but I agree it wouldn't make much sense to have a permanent for the whole adventure stance. (whole adventure forget about it - whole life until i change my stance lol)

There are a ton of at-will Stances.  But all powers end after 5 Minutes, no matter what.

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Yes, this.  "Stances end when you fall unconscious" is a TERRIBLE rules change that serves no purpose, and should be ignored because it unjustifiably nerfs all the Daily Stances.

I don't understand.  So I'm looking at a Daily Stance 'Rain of Steel'.  So once a day you can use this which hits enemies adjacent to you while you are slashing and cutting.

It makes sense to me if you are suddenly knocked unconcious from a deadly blow that reduces you to 0hp that the power is used up for the day.  Its not like you can keep it up whilst unconcious.

What am I missing?

Before the change, the stance would become active again once you regained consciousness.  So you'd wake up, stand up, and continue slashing and cutting.  Now it doesn't do that, it ends. 

I don't understand.  So I'm looking at a Daily Stance 'Rain of Steel'.  So once a day you can use this which hits enemies adjacent to you while you are slashing and cutting.

It makes sense to me if you are suddenly knocked unconcious from a deadly blow that reduces you to 0hp that the power is used up for the day.  Its not like you can keep it up whilst unconcious.

What am I missing?

When the power was written, it turns off while you're unconscious (because you can't take OAs while unconscious, and the damage stops when you can't take OAs) and then turned back on when you wake up.  So, once you become conscious again, your Daily Power starts working again.

Now, when you fall unconscious, it ends.  And when you get back up, it doesn't start working again.

This is a massive nerf.

Boundless Endurance is the same way.  Before, back when it was written, it turned off when you fell unconscious (because Regeneration stops when you're unconscious) and then turned back on when you woke up.  Now, it just turns off.  This is a massive nerf and makes an already weak Daily Utility power much worse.

Stances turning off when you pass out is a bad rules change.  It adds nothing to the game.  It fixes no problems.  It's a pointless nerf to things that weren't broken before.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.