Character Builder Portraits - online somewhere?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can we access the (growing) collection of online CB portraits outside the online CB?   Preferably as a downloadable collection of portraits?
I guess not... 
A lot of them are just cullled from the different books and released as Art Gallery files on DDi.  Some aren't. 

Myself, I like to have my character tokens match my actual character sheets.  So when I make a character who's character builder art I can't find in another fashion I just use my laptop's snipping tool and "cut out" the image straight from character builder.  

It's easiest to do from the larger image when you are first choosing your profile pic.
It's shame that the majority of D&D character portrait art is still in a very grey area. If you search for usuable images, most are copyright, or are community edits of copyrighted images. Very little is legitimate.

Technically, snipping stuff out of character builder for use elsewhere is copyright infringement, as is about 90% of the portrait customisation posted on the D&D forums - including edits of Art Gallery material.

DDI could/should set this straight - by for instance simply making portrait images available for re-use under some basic guidleines. CreativeCommons or even the OGL would be fit for this.
It's shame that the majority of D&D character portrait art is still in a very grey area. If you search for usuable images, most are copyright, or are community edits of copyrighted images. Very little is legitimate.

Technically, snipping stuff out of character builder for use elsewhere is copyright infringement, as is about 90% of the portrait customisation posted on the D&D forums - including edits of Art Gallery material.

DDI could/should set this straight - by for instance simply making portrait images available for re-use under some basic guidleines. CreativeCommons or even the OGL would be fit for this.

I'm not a lawyer, but I have my doubts that WotC legal is going to come banging on your door for printing out character tokens of copyrighted images. I also don't really have a moral issue with it since I'm paying a monthly fee for them and I'm not redistributing or otherwise selling them (personal use). 

I'm not a lawyer, but I have my doubts that WotC legal is going to come banging on your door for printing out character tokens of copyrighted images. I also don't really have a moral issue with it since I'm paying a monthly fee for them and I'm not redistributing or otherwise selling them (personal use). 

To extend on this I doubt that WotC is EVER going to put it's IP under an OGL type license again.  As DrNick points out you can most likely use said art while WotC maintains ownership/control so that they can't be used on fansites or redistributed.

True, however there's a difference between them not pursuing copyright issues (because in practice it benefits them to have fans creating some buzz), compared to providing some decent image media as a service.

There's nothing stopping them doing both - i.e. have a collection of limited licensed images accessed via official DDI, plus they can obviously tolerate a little unofficial personal re-use of other stuff, as that is what happens right now on their own forums. Giving this sort of re-use some sanctioning might encourage a bit more sharing, and more players would benefit. By providing it officially they can still reserve the right to shut down bulk sharing of the images ouside of their own services, which is where it becomes morally difficult to justify and possibly financially damaging to them.

A collection of accessible, re-usable artwork should be quite a nice easy resource to provide, it doesn't give away too much, and would do a lot to promote DDI.

On a related note ... the Character Builder update coming next Tuesday will allow you to upload your own character portraits. Oh, I said it!

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Excellent! Thanks!

(And because all good news should come with a request for more... how about more than 20 PCs and getting house rule support? Pretty please?)

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

On a related note ... the Character Builder update coming next Tuesday will allow you to upload your own character portraits. Oh, I said it!

Steve

House-ruled feats! House-ruled feats! Even the Rule of Three column this week suggests that we may want to house rule in free expertise and defense feats. Please give us the option in the official character builder.

Steve

Bad Steve! Bad!  

Paolo Marcucci "Building better worlds"
Huge news leaked here! People have been asking for this for a while and it's nice to see you deliver. Thank you dev team for making this happen. Next on the to do list should be custom magic items and houserules in general. Expand the character limit to 30 and I'll send you a case of whisky Laughing

Steve

House-ruled feats! House-ruled feats! Even the Rule of Three column this week suggests that we may want to house rule in free expertise and defense feats. Please give us the option in the official character builder.

I feel they will eventually add this but it is probably not a high priority.

Steve

Wow. You guys are on point this month. gg Steve. gg.
OK, I need to offer a technical clarification. You can't "upload" your own portraits to the character builder. You'll provide a URL to a portrait that exists elsewhere on the web, the same way you do when inserting an image into a forum post. The images need to live on a server somewhere, not just on your hard drive. Images can be pulled from the photos section of your Onesite profile, Flickr, Facebook (provided you extract the proper URL), or in some other cloud space of your own. They won't actually be uploaded to or stored on the CB servers. We don't want to give people the wrong impression of how this feature will work.

Steve

P.S. One stumbling block in this system is that custom portraits won't display in the "My Characters" module of your Onesite profile. We're aware of that issue and working on a solution, but there's no ETA on when it will be ready.

I have no problem with the above. Having to upload to photobucket or whatever is still way better than what I was doing before (using photoshop to paste in the pic I wanted).

OK, I need to offer a technical clarification. You can't "upload" your own portraits to the character builder. You'll provide a URL to a portrait that exists elsewhere on the web, the same way you do when inserting an image into a forum post. The images need to live on a server somewhere, not just on your hard drive. Images can be pulled from the photos section of your Onesite profile, Flickr, Facebook (provided you extract the proper URL), or in some other cloud space of your own. They won't actually be uploaded to or stored on the CB servers. We don't want to give people the wrong impression of how this feature will work.

Steve

P.S. One stumbling block in this system is that custom portraits won't display in the "My Characters" module of your Onesite profile. We're aware of that issue and working on a solution, but there's no ETA on when it will be ready.

No problem for me. Facebook or flickr are stable internet entities that have good picture management options. I couldn't care less whether its on the flickr server or WotC server as long I can see my custom art on my character sheet Smile

Steve

Hmmmmm..... just thinking ahead. If the new MB does have cloud storage available, would it possible to use the portrait feature you describe above to set up custom portraits for monsters? It would be great to click on my custom monster and see my custom art right next to it.

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure using art from anywhere on the web for your character falls under fair use and is most cirtainly allowed.  Too many people don't know about the fair use clauses in copyright.

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure using art from anywhere on the web for your character falls under fair use and is most cirtainly allowed.  Too many people don't know about the fair use clauses in copyright.

That is most likely wrong when it comes to use of images for character portraits

Fair use does not cover copying images for arbitrary personal re-use. It is in general for commentry, critique, learning and journalism. So, for instance it would be fair use to show D&D images in your "unboxing video", or to quote a short passage form a rule book if you were critiquing it.

Wikipedia has a reasonable entry on the topic: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Edit: I could do with reading the article mysel. Toned down first paragraph. The truth of the matter is Fair Use has not been tested in this area (and this is unlikely to be done unless money is changing hands somewhere, or images are being ripped in 100s). It is my opinion that taking a published image and using it for your character is not covered by Fair Use.

Definitely setting up a collection of such things on the internet would not be covered, but that would be a useful service, and WotC are the right sort of company to make it happen.

Steve

Is that the way it will always be, in that users will never be able to upload images of their own?

If that is the case, are there any restrictions in... for example... me creating a service whose sole purpose is to host images for the Character Builder, so that any user can upload their image to my service and easily link to it within the CB?

And to non-WotC employees out there... Is this a product that would be necessary and useful? I'm guessing that not everyone is savvy enough to host their own images (even if they were to use simpler tools like Flickr)... This service would be a "Character Builder Image Hosting Service for Dummies", sort of thing.       

Darklight Interactive - "Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

A Walk In the Dark blog

Current PCs
Expedition to Castle Greyhawk (DnD 4e) - Jaana Allera, 13th level Human Rogue
Free file-hosting services are ubiquitous these days. If there's someone who doesn't know how to find and use one ... well, the kindest and best advice for them is to learn. It's the wave of the future. Most people using these forums already have access to Onesite's photo albums.

But I can't think of any reason why you couldn't create such a host. The main concern would be whether people actually have the right to use the images they're uploading for the stated purpose, and whether you'd be liable in any way if they don't. I'm not a lawyer, so I can't answer those questions for you.

Steve 

How about posting the pictures you want to use for your portraits here?  Here's the secret to actually getting them to take when you paste the URL in the proper place:

Upload the picture you want here.

Click on Edit.

Right Click on the Picture and Choose Image Properties.

Left Click or CTRL C to copy the URL

CTRL V to paste in the Portrait Spot.

VIOLA! Custom Portrait!

(You might have to mess around with the size, the recommended 4.5x5 makes some portraits look very bad.)

Sign In to post comments