[Modern] - Hive Mind

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
[Still a WIP]

Introduction

Hive Mind is a combo deck that uses a unique interaction to beat opponents. Its resilience is the best part of the deck, as parts of the combo are counterspells and protection.

How does it work?

The primary interaction here is between Pacts [Slaughter Pact, Pact of Negation, Pact of the Titan, Summoner's Pact], and the signiture card, Hive Mind. Hive Mind copies the Pacts for the opponent, and if you used the correct pact, or multiple pacts, they cannot pay for the upkeep cost and lose the game.

Cards:
Pacts

Each pact has its own role.
Summoner's Pact - Summoner's Pact is a good wincondition for the deck. It doesn't require any other spells for it to be used, which is a big plus.
Pact of the Titan - The go to win condition for Hive Mind. It also doesn't require any other spells for it to be used, a big plus, and the 4/4 token allows for you to go for a beatdown approach if you don't have anything else to do.
Pact of Negation - Pact of Negation is very useful against control decks, to protect your Hive Mind, and you can use it to counter your own spells [holding priority, of course] to kill your opponent.
Slaughter Pact - Sometimes there is hate bears that will cause a problem to the deck. Slaughter Pact is an out to those, and its very good versus aggro decks.
Intervention Pact is barely worth mentioning. Don't run it.

Ramp

Ramp is a key component to the deck. This allows you to go off faster, and is very key against aggro decks, as they will race you.
Lotus Bloom - Lotus Bloom is a very powerful piece of ramp. It may take 3 turns to activate, but it gives you any colour. Against control, you can sit on these, and play through mana leak and condescend. A very versatile piece of ramp.
Seething Song - Seething Song is one of the things that let you go off turn 4. Turn 4 is key with a deck like this, as this is aggro's window to kill you. 
Rite of Flame - More mana ramp never hurt right? You can use it in the same way you use lotus bloom.

Dig and Tutors

Dig and Tutors are crucial to the functioning of the deck. Finding pieces are obviously important to a combo deck.
Ponder - Combo's best friend. Digging 3 deep gives you the most opportunities to find your pieces.
Preordain - In this deck, a lesser Ponder. But it still has its applications, as it is a superior turn 1 play to Ponder.
Gitaxian Probe - A cantrip that gives you information for the low low price of 2 life. I'll take it.
Ethereal Usher - Never ever to be hard cast. Used for its transmute ability to find Hive Mind.
Tolaria West - Serves as a land when you need them, and every other time can serve to get you a black source, a red source, or any of your pacts. Very very powerful stuff.

Protection

Combo decks tend to be fragile. Protection is important so you don't flat out die to counterspells.
Remand - Possibly the best counterspell for this deck. It stalls opponents in the early game, in the late game has the ability to tap opponents out, and draws you a card? Yes please.
Repeal - Repeal is a very versatile bounce spell, that draws you a card. Very strong in this kind of deck.
Gitaxian Probe and Pact of Negation get secondary nods here too. Having information and counterspells are very good against opposing counterspels.

Sideboard Options

Blood Moon - Very useful in the current metagame of Cloudpost control/ramp decks.
Slagstorm - 3 damage is key against decks like Zoo.
Hurkyl's Recall - Very strong against the aggro-finity decks running around.

More copies of Slaughter Pact [for Zoo] and Pact of Negation [for Control] in the sideboard, and a singleton Summoner's Pact for decks that can't make Green mana. More copies of Repeal allows you to play around hate.

[sblock=Sample Decklist]

[sblock]
Photobucket
4 Island
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Steam Vents
3 Watery Grave
2 Tolaria West
1 Mountain

4 Lotus Bloom
4 Rite of Flame
3 Seething Song

2 Ethereal Usher
4 Hive Mind

4 Pact of the Titan
3 Pact of Negation
2 Slaughter Pact

4 Ponder
4 Preordain

1 Thoughtseize
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.

We found red pact the best, since it's 5 mana to pay, wheras 3 mana is payable for some decks like zoo etc and affinity.

Also, black pact needs targets, so it's dead in some match ups.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
I've had targets often basically constantly.  It's been nuts.  You can just kill stuff too with the Black splash.

I think Intervention is better than Summoner's, but the choice is probably another Titan.

I'd board Intervention.  It also requires no Target, and most decks are actually soft to it because they'll assemble GG if they can.  

I'm not a fan of 4x Negation unless you run Probes, but it is hard to slot them in.

Ran Remand for a while, found it too reactive.

I think you run 4 Bloom or run none.

Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
I prefer 4 song over 4 bloom. Bloom may end up dead, while Song can be used if you ever need to hardcast Pacts. They also have a secondary role as a show and tell for your deck.
Photobucket
Been considering Pentad Prism in that slot as well.  Hot, I know.
Show

Instant (21)

Artifact (8)

Creature (6)

Enchantment (4)

Sorcery (2)

My Build.

Sign In to post comments