[Modern] Reveillark Combo

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not sure how viable this is in the format, but my testing has been fairly successful. I use Viscera Seer instead of Mirror Entity because it actually helps dig toward the combo while also being a piece of the combo. Thoughts?

3x Viscera Seer
2x Venser, Shaper Savant
3x Body Double
4x Mulldrifter
4x Reveillark

4x Preordain
4x Thoughtseize
4x Path to Exile
4x Remand
4x Cryptic Command

3x Island
2x Plains
1x Swamp
4x Watery Grave
4x Hallowed Fountain
1x Godless Shrine
1x Creeping Tar Pit
2x Ghost Quarter
4x Marsh Flats
1x Scalding Tarn
1x Misty Rainforest
Not really familiar with Reveillark combos, but...how do you win? All I see is infinite draw...
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Venser bounces all of their permanents, then you just attack til they're dead. They aren't able to get back into the game because you can combo off again at any moment, and because of the nature of the combo you can even use Venser to bounce their spells if they somehow find one that could disrupt you. You could include a more direct win condition like Bile Urchin if you want, but it's a weak card outside of the combo so I don't recommend it.
Can you hold off aggro until turn 6?

Yeah... it looks more like an infinite draw deck o3o

If so, at least protect yourself, add Jace's Erasures and Haunting Echoes

Once about half the opponent's deck is in the graveyard hit him/her with the Haunting Echoes. Who says you have to win by taking out the opponent's life?

:D

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
I actually prefer Avatar's wincon, and think the combo is very cool, I just worry because it seems very slow and requires so many pieces. Most combos are fast and compact, which is what gives them their edge against aggro. This combo deck looks like aggro might clock it too fast, though the countermagic would give it interesting numbers against control and other combo. It's essentially a control deck that drops a combo finish instead of a Frost Titan.
Can this be competitive on standard tournaments?
This isn't legal in Standard. In fact I think there are only like 15 standard-legal cards in this whole list.
Against aggro, you have ways to soak up lots of damage and buy yourself turns until you draw your combo. Viscera Seer, Venser, Body Double, Thoughtseize, Path to Exile, Remand, and Cryptic Command all help slow them down a lot. That said, aggro is still a rough matchup and I'd definitely want to dedicate several sideboard slots to combatting it. Don't hesitate to use your creatures as chump blockers when needed. You don't need any of them on the board when you're ready to combo.

Another option is to just build a more proactive deck with more lower drops that can be recurred with Reveillark. You could cut Venser entirely and use Inquisitor Exarch as an aggressive creature, defensive creature, and combo piece all in one. Here you might use Mirror Entity over Viscera Seer as well, so you have a better chance of winning even when you don't draw the combo, and you could keep it at only 2 colors. I might try this version a bit and see how it does.
why not just play hulk flash?  Its basically the same idea and is a much more consistent option.
why not just play hulk flash?  Its basically the same idea and is a much more consistent option.

Because it isn't legal.

3x Viscera Seer
2x Venser, Shaper Savant
3x Body Double
4x Mulldrifter
4x Reveillark

4x Preordain
4x Thoughtseize
4x Path to Exile
4x Remand
4x Cryptic Command

3x Island
2x Plains
1x Swamp
4x Watery Grave
4x Hallowed Fountain
1x Godless Shrine
1x Creeping Tar Pit
2x Ghost Quarter
4x Marsh Flats
1x Scalding Tarn
1x Misty Rainforest

Firstly, I think Reveillark Combo is going to be a strong contender since Rev's biggest enemy, faeries, isn't in the format. Plus Dredge is gone as well, as the sideboarding for dredge and rev is very close. I like you're spells but your creatures are kind of meh. Meddling Mage and Phantasmal Image are amazing additions to this deck and Meddling Mage protects your deck. Also, this deck can go in amazing directions now that other cards are available to run. Vanish into Memory or Aethermage's Touch to kind of cheat the combo into play? Plus, while I understand the black helps protect your combo with Thoughtseize, wouldn't it be easier to run just U/W and streamline to make the combo come out as fast as possible? 

Here's a deck I would run:
x4 Rev
x4 Meddling Mage
x4 Mulldrifter
x2 Body Double
x2 Phantasmal Image
x2 Mirror Entity 
x2 Venser Shaper Savant

x4 Preordain 
x4 Remand
x4 Cryptic Command
x3 Path to Exile
x2 Aethermage's Touch

x2 Miren Moaning Well
x4 Hallowed Fountain
x4 Seachrome Coast
x4 Mystic Gate
x4 Scalding Tarn
x1 Plains
x4 Island        

Because of the uncertaintly of Modern, i couldn't say how well this deck will work but I think this is what I'd  be comfortable piloting when first testing. 
Against aggro, you have ways to soak up lots of damage and buy yourself turns until you draw your combo. Viscera Seer, Venser, Body Double, Thoughtseize, Path to Exile, Remand, and Cryptic Command all help slow them down a lot. That said, aggro is still a rough matchup and I'd definitely want to dedicate several sideboard slots to combatting it. Don't hesitate to use your creatures as chump blockers when needed. You don't need any of them on the board when you're ready to combo.

Another option is to just build a more proactive deck with more lower drops that can be recurred with Reveillark. You could cut Venser entirely and use Inquisitor Exarch as an aggressive creature, defensive creature, and combo piece all in one. Here you might use Mirror Entity over Viscera Seer as well, so you have a better chance of winning even when you don't draw the combo, and you could keep it at only 2 colors. I might try this version a bit and see how it does.

Agreed with above post. Wall of Omens is also a great idea. And Inquisitor is a great win-con over Venser....
Meddling Mage is good, but 4 maindeck? What would you even name if you play it on turn 2? It is much better from the board when you know what they're playing and have a good idea of what they might bring in to stop your combo. I don't really like Phantasmal Image here because it's just not doing much for you. Most of the time you'll just be copying a Meddling Mage because everything else is in your graveyard.

As I said, I would try out a more anti-aggro version of the deck, and it has been playing pretty well. Here is the testing list:

4x Inquisitor Exarch
3x Blade Splicer
3x Mirror Entity
1x Venser, Shaper Savant
4x Mulldrifter
3x Reveillark
2x Body Double

4x Preordain
4x Path to Exile
4x Cryptic Command
2x Wrath of God
2x Gideon Jura

5x Island
3x Plains
4x Hallowed Fountain
2x Glacial Fortress
2x Celestial Colonnade
2x Ghost Quarter
3x Scalding Tarn
3x Arid Mesa

Sideboard:
1x Wrath of God
3x Ethersworn Canonist (storm combo)
3x Leyline of Sanctity (discard, mill)
3x Bribery (12-Post)
2x Sower of Temptation
3x ???
I guess I can agree with the Meddling Mage comment, mainly because we still really don't know what decks are gonna be good and frecognizable. When lark was good in Extended (for a very short time) you knew what a deck was usually by the lands they played turn one. But if Twelvepost, Martyr decks, or Storm decks do end up being good then I think Meddling Mage is very important.

I like your new list by the way. It looks a lot better and could definitely  be very good in a heavy Zoo format (which I think is expected for the Por-Tour).        

this deck seems like i needs a lot of things to go right to work properly....

this deck seems like i needs a lot of things to go right to work properly....

It really depends. If you just want to focus on comboing off every game as consistently as possible, you should just play Protean Hulk. If you want a deck with more raw power outside of the combo so that you can win through control and creatures alone while also having the option of comboing off, then play Reveillark. It's like the difference between straight Exarch Twin decks and RUG Birthing Pod decks with the Twin combo built in. Reveillark is great because every single card provides card advantage or is recurrable with Lark, making it hard to combat effectively.
Sign In to post comments