Modern Mono-Red Burn/Beatdown

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok so, I love Mono Red, I play it in legacy and have been thinking about it for modern. This is my first cut that I've gotten down to 60 cards so ANY comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Creatures
4 Ball Lightning
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Grim Lavamancer

Spells
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Browbeat
4 Magma Jet
4 Searing Blaze
4 Flame Javelin
2 Incinerate

Lands
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
10 Mountain

Sideboard
4 Volcanic Fallout
4 Shattering Spree
4 Boil
3 Tormod's Crypt
Well, Browbeat aside it doesn't look too bad.

Basically, Keldon Marauders is better than Ball Lightning. Browbeat is terrible. Searing Blaze is generally awesome, but you run something of a risk of the opponent playing combo or something with little to no creatures.

Another thing is that 18 lands is too little. You'll probably need 22 - though you *might* be able to squeeze it down to 21.

I'd think that most burn decks will end up splashing a colour or two to be competitive, though. I'm thinking about Goyf and Anathemancer specifically. I made a rough list splashing both back when we started discussing the Modern format - it looks like this:

4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Stomping Grounds
3 Blood Crypt
5 Mountain
2 Teetering Peaks

4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Goblin Guide
2 Kird Ape
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Keldon Marauders
3 Anathemancer

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Magma Jet
3 Rift Bolt
2 Incinerate
2 Flame Javelin
2 Yamabushi's Flame

SB:
2 Tin Street Hooligans
2 Krosan Grip
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Magus of the Moon
3 Pithing Needle
2 Yamabushi's Flame

The reason for Yamabushi's Flame over the last Javelins is Kitchen Finks. It's too much of a beating not to be prepared for.

If you don't want to pay for Goyfs and you can't borrow them, you might be able to borrow Dark Confidants instead. If you get your hands on those, you might want to cut the Javelins entirely - maybe for Chars or the last couple of Yamabushi's Flame. If you can't get Tarmogoyf or Confidants, your Figures should be ok as a replacement.

In that case, drop the Kird Apes for a Rift Bolt and an Incinerate or something, and run a playset of Smash to Smithereens or Shattering Spree or something instead of the Krosan Grip/Tin Street Hooligans package.

That would make the list look like this:

4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Blood Crypt
8 Mountain
2 Teetering Peaks

4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Goblin Guide
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Keldon Marauders
3 Anathemancer

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Magma Jet
4 Rift Bolt
3 Incinerate
2 Flame Javelin
2 Yamabushi's Flame

SB:
4 Smash to Smithereens
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Magus of the Moon
3 Pithing Needle
2 Yamabushi's Flame

I hope that this helps. =)
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
You really should play Shrine of Burning Rage.
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.
Shrine is way to slow for this format in my opinion, it may be great for standard, but I need pure speed.

Browbeat is strictly amazing, 3 for 5 dmg or 3 more cards is ALWAYS good. Splashing for apes or dark confidants is not a bad idea, but I much prefer to save those spots for more burn and such. I want this deck to be as quick as possible.

That being said I've made some changes:
-4 Figure of Destiny +4Chandra's Pheonix
-2 Incinerate +2Koth of the Hammer
-4 Searing Blaze +4 Char

The searing blaze may go into sideboard as it is GREAT against creature based decks.
I did pretty well in an extended PTQ playing mono red splashing green (for bloodbraid elf and some sideboard tech) but that was during a time when the two dominate archetypes were fairies and scapeshift, both of which red decks crushed (my 1 loss was to elves unbelivably enough).

There's a few options, as always I think the weakness of mono red is the two drop slot (same as in legacy, standard pretty much any format), my hope is one day there will be a truely awesome 2 drop red creature but until then it's often a comprimise. It's always a toss up between keldon marauders Plated Geopede Kargan Dragonlord and Hellspark Elemental with stormblood berserker arriving recently. I feel that all of them are sub par in one way or another, I'd be sorely tempted to splash green for goyf.

If You are intent on sticking to mono red you can go the legacy burn esque route and max out on 1 drops Something like

4 Goblin guide
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 rift bolt
4 lightning bolt
4 lavaspike
4 shard volley (maybe)
4 Keldon maurauders
4 char
4 flame javelin

20 land

Otherwise you can slow it down a bit but give it some more staying power with a more RDW type list

Maybe something like

4 Goblin Guide
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Boggart Ram Gang
2 Hell's Thunder
2 Hero of Oxid Ridge
2 Koth of the Hammer

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Flame Javelin
2 Incinerate

24 Lands

Then of course there are the splashes, whitte gives you lightning helix black gives you Blightning  terminate and maybe [c]
Demigod of Revenge[/c] green gives you Bloodbraid Elf and Tarmogoyf

Other directions include the big red route (Deus, Demigod Urabrask the hidden Arc-Slogger etc)

You could even try going with some sort of artifact sub theme, something like Shrapnel Blast, Kuldotha Phoenix Slag Fiend.

Not to mention Stompy lists with Rakdos pit dragon Chalice of the void and turn 1 Blood Moon effects.

Otherwise there's all in red with turn 1 Chandra Ablaze or deus of calamity

So theres quite a lot of areas you can take a mono red list if you desire

As for sideboard utility cards I think smash to smitherines Guttural Response Manabarbs all deserve a look in.

Good luck, hope that provides some food for thought.
@Browbeat: It´s a bad card. It always does whatever your opponent is least afraid of. A couple of situations:

If you mulled to five and your opponent started with a Martyr of Sands, what you really need is something to deal continous amounts of damage or enough CA to overpower them anyway. A Lava Axe to the face will hardly be a nuisance. That just gives them huge CA through their Martyr Life-gain, and thus you are sitting with one card less in hand to attack them with when you really wanted two more.

If your opponent has a couple of solid beaters down and you topdeck a Browbeat, then you cannot remove creatures with it, and you cannot use it to draw into answers or threats. You can only hope that you might topdeck something to kill them with, which will mean that the Lava Axe wasn´t totally wasted.

And even if your opponent lets you draw three cards, you will still have wasted most of a turn drawing cards rather than answering your opponent´s threats. There´s a reason a Control deck will rarely answer a Tarmogoyf with a Thirst for Knowledge. You want to answer it, not draw cards. You only draw cards when you absolutely need to gain some CA - and if that´s the case, then your opponent will choose the damage!

Flames of the Blood hand is infinitely better. When answering a Kitchen Finks or an Obstinate Baloth or a Loxodon Hierarch or Lightning Helix or Sword of War and Peace activation or something, it will effectively deal 6-8+ damage for three mana. Without giving your opponent the choice of you drawing three cards if the lifeloss is inconvinient.

In other words, Browbeat is extremely unflexible. So is Flames, because both can only deal damage to a player, not creatures. Flames of the Blood Hand, however, very often deals a lot more damage to your opponent and doesn´t give your opponent the chance to choose a less painful option if he wants. Thus, Flames is much more relevant, and is more flexible, as it has a higher chance of doing what you want it to do. Even then, Flames of the Blood Hand is not always played - simply because of its lack of flexibility.

In conclusion, Browbeat sucks.

@Scytale1: You really don´t want to slow your burn deck down for more creature presence. Then you´re playing a subpar Zoo list.

Also, you don´t need black to run Demigod of Revenge. Black does, however, give you access to Dark Confidant  (which is infinitely better than Browbeat because it can both deal damage *and* draw you into more burn - not just do whichever one your opponent is least afraid of) and Anathemancer along with Blightning.

Green gives you Bloodbraid Elf (if you want to go that route), Tarmogoyf (definitely) and utility cards like Tin-Street Hooligans, Ancient Grudge and Krosan Grip.

An artifact route might be an option, though, with Blinkmoth Nexus, Shrapnel Blast and a couple of Darksteel Citadels. It will be hard, though, when you have neither Top nor Great Furnace to power Shrapnel Blast with. Mox Opals won´t be good enough without a heap more artifacts, and you don´t want to MD stuff like Pithing Needle, Tormod´s Crypt or Chalice of the Void. I´d suggest just leaving the artifact plan alone. If you do try it out, do *not* run Kuldotha Phoenix or Slag Fiend.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
In the right deck slag fiend is amazing, has excellent synergy with stuff like shrapnel blast, pyerite spell bomb and kuldotha rebirth, its an excellent top deck in late games, often being a 5/5 or higher for 1 mana, obviously it requires you to run stuff like signal pest memnite/frogmite and the like but I certainly think you should test it before criticising it you may be surprised.
I would only play slag fiend in the sideboard. It's awful against anything that runs creatures which is most decks. It shines againes combo though. I would go a more burn route myself something like this.

Burn:
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Rift Bolt
4x Lava Spike
2x Shard Volley
4x Magma Jet
2x Searing Blaze
4x Incinerate
4x Flamebreak

Creatures:
4x Goblin Guide
4x Keldon Marauders 

Artifacts:
2x Ensnaring Bridge
2x Shrine of Burning Rage

Lands:
20x Mountain

Sideboard:
4x Relic of Progenitus
2x Ensnaring Bridge
3x Leyline of Punishment
4x Smash to Smithereens
2x Searing Blaze

Of course alter the sideboard based on the metagame, but as a general list of knowing nothing about the emtagame my sideboard seems decent.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
magus of the moon and/or blood moon needs to be in the side.  Most modern decks i have seen are running maybe 3-4 basic lands.  Drop one shut them down while you burn them out at your leisure.  Its a far better 3 drop than browbeat also it puts a serious hurt on zoo.
Sign In to post comments