Does anyone know why the duel decks are excluded from Modern?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
It seems a shame to exclude all those cards with new borders/art when the original rule for whether or not a card would be allowed in modern based on its style.  Does anyone know why these decks are excluded?  They are nice and have some good rares, but they dont seem powerful enough to justify what is essentially an across the board addition to the banlist.  I am I the only person that thinks allowing these would add to the format?  Edit:  I realize that there is some stuff like dark ritual that would have to be banned.
As you mentioned dual decks contain stuff like Dark ritual, Daze, Gush, Fireblast, Price of Progress, Swords to Plowshares, Mishra's Factory etc, if they did allow those cards it would be completely format warping.

As the ban list is pretty big already adding more would just further complicate things
Does anyone know why these decks are excluded?

They're not included in Modern for the same reason they aren't included in Standard or Extended. Special products (such as Duel Decks, From the Vault, Premium Deck Series, and so on) never affect a card's format legality. Only being printed in a block or core set will do that.

If special products changed format legality, Wizards would have to worry about the power level of the cards they include in such products in those formats, which would limit their ability to reprint cool cards from the past significantly. It would also have a significant impact on the secondary market, since demand for many of those cards would skyrocket thanks to their newfound legality, while supply would remain fairly low.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Ah, I see.  A choice between lesser evils then.  Would have loved to have seen some of the less powerful uzra/mercadian block material though, since that was when I first really got into magic.  Not to mention that this format is in desperate need of the standard Counterspell, which is included in the Jace duel deck. Guess I have to hope that they reprint the balanced duel deck stuff in future blocks.  Just to make sure, I can use any duel deck cards that are already format legal in a tourney deck? Edit:  Are friday night promotionals excluded as well?
Does anyone know why these decks are excluded?

They're not included in Modern for the same reason they aren't included in Standard or Extended. Special products (such as Duel Decks, From the Vault, Premium Deck Series, and so on) never affect a card's format legality. Only being printed in a block or core set will do that.

If special products changed format legality, Wizards would have to worry about the power level of the cards they include in such products in those formats, which would limit their ability to reprint cool cards from the past significantly. It would also have a significant impact on the secondary market, since demand for many of those cards would skyrocket thanks to their newfound legality, while supply would remain fairly low.

Recent exception - the brand-new cards printed in the Commander pre-cons. They were given legality in eternal formats, which isn't somrthing they needed to do; just look at unhinged and unglued sets. Otherwise, Zammm is correct in the trend of premium card releases not affecting the set legality of such cards.

Photobucket
Just to make sure, I can use any duel deck cards that are already format legal in a tourney deck?

Yes. Duel Decks cards have black borders and a normal Magic card back, and therefore are legal for use in tournaments, assuming the card is already legal in the appropriate format.

Edit:  Are friday night promotionals excluded as well?

They follow the same rules--the promotional printing doesn't alter their legality. If they were already legal in Standard, the promotional printing is too. If they weren't legal in Standard, the promotional printing isn't legal either.

Recent exception - the brand-new cards printed in the Commander pre-cons. They were given legality in eternal formats, which isn't somrthing they needed to do; just look at unhinged and unglued sets. Otherwise, Zammm is correct in the trend of premium card releases not affecting the set legality of such cards.

It's not really an exception, just the nature of Vintage and Legacy--they essentially base their legality on existence, not set contents. If it's black- or white-bordered, has a normal Magic card back and front, and has been officially released to the general public in some form, then it's legal in Vintage and Legacy.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I wonder if they will make Commander cards legal in Modern. Its going to be an Eternal-like format... and Commander falls within the timeline/print style.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I wonder if they will make Commander cards legal in Modern. Its going to be an Eternal-like format... and Commander falls within the timeline/print style.

I wish some of the commander decks contain useful stuff likeBrainstorm, Hull breach etc...

I wish some of the commander decks contain useful stuff likeBrainstorm, Hull breach etc...

Yeah, but Sol Ring.

Adding more cards to the banlist is, unfortunately, not something they'll want to do. 
I like magic almost as much as i like basketball and surviving aids.
None of the cards printed (for the first time) in the commander pre-cons warrant a banning. Flusterstorm was directly created to give vintage and legacy metas a greater ability to deal with storm decks. Chaos Warp is an experimental design that aims to see if red's color pie can be expanded a bit. Scavenging Ooze is a solid utility dude that provides incremental benefit.

The point is that none of the cards in the pre-cons represent single-card win-conditions, or even degenerate plays.

Photobucket