08/17/2011 StF: "The Feedbackening 2011"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
"Would you, perhaps, like to grab great chunks of concept art and world detail about Innistrad and smear it against your corneas?"

^lol Db too much..ha :p,

but still, innistrad news- next week??? man time goes by fast (im trying not to dive right into card spoilers on this set too much so i can savor the flavor if u will :P) but i defintley will tune in next week to find out what all this stuff is about !
As fun as reading answers to reader mail always is, I will not deny that the last paragraph of this article is what made me giddiest today. Onward! To Innistrad!
Yes! Concept art and world info! Woohoo!
Rules Adviser, casual tournament organizer, lover of EDH and MtG evangelist.
Nathan totally needs to register on the boards now as "Nathan, Mad Agent of Bolas"
I liked the Bolas explanation. It got me thinking of something to add to it.

Flavor-wise, players are planeswalkers. And we're more powerful ones than those represented on cards. We have 20 life, rather than single-digit loyalty. We have a little more than ten spells to sling (going by 36 non-land cards in a deck and the idea that some are four-ofs but not all), rather than three (or in the case of Jace, the Broken, four), though it varies.

So if Bolas (and other villainous 'walkers) are interested in collecting: there's a trophy for ya, someone who has pre-Mending levels of power. And if you're not Bolas-level powerful but are an opportunist... well, a player would be a very, very powerful ally, even if s/he loses.

And hey, if Bolas can have lesser planeswalkers as minions, the idea that the planeswalkers in, say, a black/blue deck are minions who may or may not be happy about this arrangement but come when called makes perfect flavor sense, too. (As does their skedaddling when they're out of loyalty. It's so hard to find good help these days... )
I liked the Bolas explanation. It got me thinking of something to add to it.

Flavor-wise, players are planeswalkers. And we're more powerful ones than those represented on cards. We have 20 life, rather than single-digit loyalty. We have a little more than ten spells to sling (going by 36 non-land cards in a deck and the idea that some are four-ofs but not all), rather than three (or in the case of Jace, the Broken, four), though it varies.

So if Bolas (and other villainous 'walkers) are interested in collecting: there's a trophy for ya, someone who has pre-Mending levels of power. And if you're not Bolas-level powerful but are an opportunist... well, a player would be a very, very powerful ally, even if s/he loses.

And hey, if Bolas can have lesser planeswalkers as minions, the idea that the planeswalkers in, say, a black/blue deck are minions who may or may not be happy about this arrangement but come when called makes perfect flavor sense, too. (As does their skedaddling when they're out of loyalty. It's so hard to find good help these days... )

That doesn't quite work. First of all the loyalty don't represent a planeswalker's toughness (or life total). It more or less represents Loyalty, to you, the planeswalker that summoned them. And the "spells" they're able to use doesn't represent the full extent of their power. Or do you really think the ancient dragon Nicol Bolas is only able to cast 3 spells? This is how there can be multiple versions of a single planeswalker. Jace is a prime example. Every Jace-card represents Jace, just with different spells. And then there are the signature spells in the core sets. And in the books Jace is able to cast even more spells. And that's not even mentioning his duel deck. He seems to have the arsenal of a dedicated mono-blue player, with a couple of splashes of his allied colors.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

@ Power, Toughness, and Granularity:
The main reason for any "unlogical" power/toughness rating on creatures are: WotC don't really care and blame "multiple creatures forming a swarm" for the stats. Even if those creatures haven't mind linked like Kithkins, they form a team. There was a discussion about Vectis Agents being such a team, but the art failed to represent this more obviously.

In my opinion, Magic could do much more to support the size of a creature. There should be at least one 0/1 tribe in every color. My suggestion:

White: Citizens or Goats ^_^
Blue: Homunculi
Black: Rats
Red: Kobolds
Green: Saprolings
Artifact: Myr
Colorless: Eldrazi Spawn

Likewise, Magic could do this for any power rating for every color. However, this will never fix the Birds with Swords problem and wouldn't fix the Greatsword sounding like a mundane weapon.