Tournament results

37 posts / 0 new
Last post

I thought we could get a thread together and link all the tournaments for Modern that happen. I know there was a Modern side event at either the SCG or the TCG this weekend, so if someone can find the top 8 we could stick in here and being to build up the database
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
After a couple minutes on google, I found this.

The top 8 was the following:

W/U Caw Blade

W/U Tron Control

R/G/W Zoo

G/W/U Zoo

Domain Zoo

B/R/G Zoo

U/R/G Pyromancer Ascension

Domain Zoo

So we have 5 Zoo variants (1 Bant, 1 Jund, 1 Naya, 2 Domain), 1 Pyromancer Ascension (splashing green for Tarmogoyf, Engineered Explosives and Firespout), 1 Tron (featuring Gifts Ungiven) and 1 Caw Blade (featuring Sprites, Cliques and Commands).
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Lol caw blade won without the help from visions, jace mind scuplter, and stoneforge Yea they def not unbanning those 3 now haha
Give it time, I dont think Caw blade will do to well in modern.
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
Wow, so I guess zoo will be one of the top decks after all.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
What's interesting is that there is no twelve-post. Could it be that nobody played it?
In Legacy, Blue is the best color. Let's punish blue, in Modern. And they listened!
I like that caw blade deck. Vendilion clique targetting yourself after you fill hand with hawks looks like fun. I Like cryptic command, nice counters and strong creature land. Does this deck really need 3 swords though?

Thry need to unban mental misstep such bull!!!
What's interesting is that there is no twelve-post. Could it be that nobody played it?

Zoo STOMPS 12-post, I believe, solely on the basis of speed. If that was the top 8, I'm not surprised that post wasn't there.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Zoo STOMPS 12-post, I believe, solely on the basis of speed. If that was the top 8, I'm not surprised that post wasn't there.

UR Post with Bolts should start to develop.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet

UR Post with Bolts should start to develop.

I have to question whether or not that's good enough... Zoo is pretty resilient all around, and a few bolts isn't going to stop the deck. Not to mention that Proclamation of Rebirth is a real card.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Zoo doesn't stomp 12-Post. It stomps people who don't spend enough time learning how to play their deck. We've had about a week since the new banned list to build and test decks. Give it some time, and 12-Post should get better. 
Fight for the Cookie! click for a secret message!
Show
click (again) for a secret message!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ
Show
WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?
Creator of:
Show
Standard:
Show
Soul Stealer Angeltap Bloodchief Ascension Black Knights Infect Knights Mono-Green Control Turbo Bant The Solution
Extended:
Show
Tight Sight 2010 Dralnu Fog Extended Knights Kor Dad Bolas Ramp
Legacy:
Show
DragonForce Tight Sight 2011 Hulk-Tooth All-in-Black Wake
Wins I have Witnessed[sblock]
57070368 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
Even metallix is gone now.
I'm right here.
U/X Post seems strong enough, it merely needs time to develop the ideal version. U/W looks good, U/R looks good, U/G looks good, Mono-G looks good.
Photobucket
I'll be riding Pyro.

Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Zoo doesn't stomp 12-Post. It stomps people who don't spend enough time learning how to play their deck. We've had about a week since the new banned list to build and test decks. Give it some time, and 12-Post should get better. 

Zoo is VERY fast. 12-Post is not. Casting an Eldrazi on t5 is not going to be enough unless it's Emrakul and you've been able to play multiple removal spells already. And the Zoo player isn't smart enough to have any SB for you at all.

So yeah, I guess 12-post can beat bad Zoo players pretty easily. 

Melira combo is the best deck I've seen around.

Stomped an amazing Zoo list 4-0.

Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
I don't think the point of the 12-Post deck is going to be that. It'll be more like Urzatron from old extended, where you have answers, you just also have a nasty mana engine. In fact, because of Glimmerpost, its aggro matchup should be better than the old Urzatron decks, at least by a little bit. That incidental lifegain might buy just enough time to get something going. Also, it'll probably pack Engineered Explosives, maybe Chalice of the Void, and so on. 
So, yeah. 12-Post won't be winning anything if it becomes all about landing a giant spaghetti monster ASAP, but if it actually goes and plays control, I could see it doing very well.
Show
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
Show
Creator of:
Show
Standard:
Show
Soul Stealer Angeltap Bloodchief Ascension Black Knights Infect Knights Mono-Green Control Turbo Bant The Solution
Extended:
Show
Legacy:
Show
57070368 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
I'm right here.

Nice personal anecdote?

Combo decks that rely entirely on creatures tend to suck, especially when Zoo stops the combo with a single path to exile, bolt, or lightning helix.

Photobucket

Post decks beat zoo. Bad post decks dont'.

There was a modern side event at GB nats, but had very few players, the decks:

Boros
Boros
Big Zoo
UG 12 Post
RWU 12 Post
Pyro
D-Storm
Eggs
Treehouse
BUG Loam
Punishing Jund
Swans
EDIT: Merfolk

There were some other decks, I think another treehouse, but I'm not sure.

Winning deck was Punishing Jund, beating Boros in the final. Also, the eggs deck went 3-1 as well.

Also, guess what is legal in modern that I hit upon this weekend.... Lightning Angel. Beats clique in the air, can block zoo guys favourable whilst attacking, and is white for martyr of sands....
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
Just so you guys know, that Modern event at TCG only had 20 people. So the results don't mean much.
Team GFG: Great Flatbread Gangsters
Accomplishments
Top 8 Charlotte Regionals 2011- Qualified for Nationals 1st place TCG Player Qualifier- Qualified for TCG Player Championship 2nd place SCG Invitational Qualifier Top 32 SCG Charlotte Open 2011 (7-2, stupid tiebreakers)
MTGO name: Battle7
I wish this format got more attention. Probably because it reminds me so much of extended right before thopter depths took off. (Note: I liked this meta as well)

I will be sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for a blue control deck that piggybacks on goyf' to place well and then blow up. Some day my dream will come true T_T.
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.
I wish this format got more attention. Probably because it reminds me so much of extended right before thopter depths took off. (Note: I liked this meta as well)

I will be sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for a blue control deck that piggybacks on goyf' to place well and then blow up. Some day my dream will come true T_T.

Nothing is stopping you from building NLB zoo really hasn't changed and neither have combo decks just update a few cards from newer sets add some fetch lands and come up with a sideboard plan for 12 post and you have a competitive deck.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
That many Zoo's are surprising. It can't last.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
After the first 8 dailies, 12 post is far and away the favorite, then Zoo, Affinity, RDW, Living End, and Melira/Reveillark decks
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
How is caw blade not in that list after it took 1st place?
How is caw blade not in that list after it took 1st place?

Because that tourney was 20 people, and the decklists were all terrible? The latest results from the MTGO dailies show that UW control is having a tough time against the field.

Photobucket
Ah aight. This deck did pretty good. U/W aggro control with swords just no caw.

Nice personal anecdote?

Combo decks that rely entirely on creatures tend to suck, especially when Zoo stops the combo with a single path to exile, bolt, or lightning helix.

Cool story bro.

I'll combo out in response. 
Show
SO if we're going strictly by results I pulled a bunch from the MTGO Daily events, and some pretty clear splits can be made

Tier 1:
Twelve Post
Affinity
Zoo

Tier 1.5:

Storm Variants
Living End
Melira Lark
Boros
Splinter Twin
Merfolk (only 6 appearances so far, but 3 4-0's in the last 2 days shows the deck is gaining momentum)

Tier 2:

RDW
Elves
GB Rock
GB Death Cloud
RG Shamans
Pyromancer's Ascension 
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
SO if we're going strictly by results I pulled a bunch from the MTGO Daily events, and some pretty clear splits can be made

Tier 1:
Twelve Post
Affinity
Zoo

Tier 1.5:

Storm Variants
Living End
Melira Lark
Boros
Splinter Twin
Merfolk (only 6 appearances so far, but 3 4-0's in the last 2 days shows the deck is gaining momentum)

Tier 2:

RDW
Elves
GB Rock
GB Death Cloud
RG Shamans
Pyromancer's Ascension 

O_o what are people doing? doran rock i think is good enough for it to see play, but it is not.

also i'm laughing at folk not being tier one because it has about all of the tools it needs from legacy folk other then FoW and Daze....   i'd almost think spell pierce and mana leak would help alot too for those spots.
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]

:P Lawls, I don't think CawBlade is the name for it once you remove Blade of the Bloodchief AND birds. Doesn't that make it "Faerie Sword" or something of that nature?

Also, Zoo is just a plain force in Modern (it's pretty much the same deck from OverExtended), it shouldn't be too dominating, but if it does, I bet you Tarmogoyf or Dark Confidant would be the first card to get banned xD

IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Doran Rock's problem is that it's a "play fair" deck, which means that it runs enough disruption to slow down the opponent, while playing cheap threats to gain incremental advantage. That's all fine and dandy, but it's not going to do a lot against something like a dedicated splinter twin deck that has 8 copies of 2 combo pieces. It also doesn't help against zoo when their creatures are just as good, on top of being extremely cheap to play with just-as-cheap removal spells.

Photobucket
Why would anyone play Tron when Vesuva-Post-Post is in the format? :S
Modern is actually much faster than Legacy, it's more comboriffic, because there isn't a cheap [see: free] counterspell like FoW or MM to block the combo/aggro shenenigans. Thus, Merfolk is a deck just too slow for the meta.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet

Best guess budget reasons or they're simply one of those people who refuse to play the best deck they could and instead play something like tron over post so they can make claims to being a unique sunflower.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

My playsets of Antiquities Urza's lands... foreign.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Well, Tron lands enter the battlefield untapped, so I guess they can potentially be quicker, and it doesn't matter as much which one you open up with-Never mind. I can't do it. Yeah. There's no good reason to play Urzatron over 12-Post. 
Show
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
Show
Creator of:
Show
Standard:
Show
Extended:
Show
Legacy:
Show
57070368 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
I'm right here.