Heartless Hidetsugu + Lifelink?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Heartless Hidetsugu + lifelink

Would this work to give me a lot of life each turn?

Depends on the number of players and how much life each one has.  If its a two player game and your only opponent has few life left, then it won't give you much.   If you're in a Commander game and your opponents have most of their starting life, then you're get a lot.

It would also stop you from losing half your life, in effect.
So would a Furnace of Rath double that damage, dealing 100% of each player's hp unless it rounds down of course?

Would the lifelink prevent me from dying? Meaning, would I lose that life, and then gain it right back before I lose the game?

Can I redirect the damage being dealt to any player, including myself to a planeswalker that that player control's instead?
So would a Furnace of Rath double that damage, dealing 100% of each player's hp unless it rounds down of course?

If a player has an even amount of life, they will go to zero.  Otherwise they will end up at 1 lfe.

Would the lifelink prevent me from dying? Meaning, would I lose that life, and then gain it right back before I lose the game?

Yes.

Can I redirect the damage being dealt to any player, including myself to a planeswalker that that player control's instead?

You can do that for the damage dealt to your opponents.  You can't do it for the damage dealt to you.

Overblaze works too for the kill.
Ah, thank you very much.

Also, in a two-headed giant game, would Heartless Hidetsugu be dealing damage to both opponents individually, and thus would wipe out their shared life total, granted it was even?
Ah, thank you very much.

Also, in a two-headed giant game, would Heartless Hidetsugu be dealing damage to both opponents individually, and thus would wipe out their shared life total, granted it was even?

Both players will get hit, but it won't wipe them out.  The first player will lose half the life, then the other player will lose half of what's left, so they'll be left with about 1/4 of what they started with.

That it would, indeed. He's called Heartless for a reason, picking on the casual formats.

Edit: Rudolf.... you sure? The damage is all dealt at once, isn't it? Don't you calculate how much damage it deals for all players at once and then do it, killing the team? How do you figure out who goes first (which can matter for many cards they may have)?

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

That it would, indeed. He's called Heartless for a reason, picking on the casual formats.

Edit: Rudolf.... you sure? The damage is all dealt at once, isn't it? Don't you calculate how much damage it deals for all players at once and then do it, killing the team? How do you figure out who goes first (which can matter for many cards they may have)?

You might be right, I'm not as sure now as when I wrote my reply.

I'm 99% sure, because I can't see how you would get to order them. But some confirmation would be nice.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

Two-Headed Giant rules:

810.9a If a cost or effect needs to know the value of an individual player’s life total, that cost or effect uses the team’s life total instead.
Example: In a Two-Headed Giant game, a player on a team that has 11 life controls Lurking Evil, an enchantment that reads, “Pay half your life, rounded up: Lurking Evil becomes a 4/4 Horror creature with flying.” To activate the ability, that player must pay 6 life. The team winds up at 5 life.

All damage from Heartless Hidetsugu will be done simultaneously and if a team has an even amount of life, they will go to zero. Otherwise they will end up at 1 lfe. Lifelink will give the controller of Heartless Hidetsugu life back before state-based effects are checked and thereby survive.
Another question:

What if an opponent's life total is in the negatives? Say, thanks to an enemy's Platinum Angel preventing them from losing? How does Hidetsugu calculate that? I presume that it deals 0 damage, since negative damage doesn't really make sense.

Also, even though I'm not losing life points, I presume that since damage is still being dealt to me, that effects that trigger when I'm dealt damage still work?
Another question:

What if an opponent's life total is in the negatives? Say, thanks to an enemy's Platinum Angel preventing them from losing? How does Hidetsugu calculate that? I presume that it deals 0 damage, since negative damage doesn't really make sense.

Yes, it is calculated as 0. No damage will be dealt.

107.1b. Most of the time, the Magic game uses only positive numbers and zero. You can't choose a negative number, deal negative damage, gain negative life, and so on. However, it's possible for a game value, such as a creature's power, to be less than zero. If a calculation or comparison needs to use a negative value, it does so. If a calculation that would determine the result of an effect yields a negative number, zero is used instead, unless that effect sets a player's life total to a specific value, doubles a player's life total, sets a creature's power or toughness to a specific value, or otherwise modifies a creature's power or toughness.

Also, even though I'm not losing life points, I presume that since damage is still being dealt to me, that effects that trigger when I'm dealt damage still work?

No, they don't trigger.

119.8. If a source would deal 0 damage, it does not deal damage at all. That means abilities that trigger on damage being dealt won't trigger. It also means that replacement effects that would increase the damage dealt by that source, or would have that source deal that damage to a different object or player, have no event to replace, so they have no effect.

[<o>]

No, they don't trigger.

119.8. If a source would deal 0 damage, it does not deal damage at all. That means abilities that trigger on damage being dealt won't trigger. It also means that replacement effects that would increase the damage dealt by that source, or would have that source deal that damage to a different object or player, have no event to replace, so they have no effect.

I'm pretty sure this answer is wrong.  You ARE being dealt damage.  You just happen to be gaining that much life at the same time.  Something that triggers off of you being dealt damage will trigger.  Similarly, something that triggers off of you gaining life will also trigger.

I'm not 100'% sure on this one though.  Anyone else's thoughts?
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.

No, they don't trigger.

I'm pretty sure this answer is wrong.  You ARE being dealt damage.  You just happen to be gaining that much life at the same time.  Something that triggers off of you being dealt damage will trigger.  Similarly, something that triggers off of you gaining life will also trigger.

If his question is "Do they trigger when my creature tries to deal negative damage" then it is no, as his creature won't deal damage. If his queston was in addition to the discussio of negative damage, but not tied in [aka, if he meant when he deals damage to himself, and gains it back via lifelink at the same time, does it still trigger "when X deals damage" effects] then yes, they will trigger.

I think the two of Josh's questions were answered as if they were tied together [in regards to the negative life total/damage] is what ocurred
Level 1 Judge. Feel free to call me out on any errors. I'm only human, and am working to improve.

No, they don't trigger.

I'm with you.
You have been dealt damage, and have been granted life. The numbers just happen to be the same.
Bloodthirst creatures will notice.

119.3f Damage dealt by a source with lifelink causes that source’s controller to gain that much life, in addition to the damage’s other results.

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

Ok, I misread that part. I was answering this:

* If a player has negative life (Platinum Angel keeps him alive) and Hidetsugu's ability is used, no damage will be dealt to him, and any "whenever this player is dealt damage" ability will not trigger.

But the answer to the question asked would be:

* If Hidetsugu's controller has positive (non-zero) life, and Hidetsugu has Lifelink, then damage will be dealt to him and he will gain life; even if he gains that much or even more life than the damage dealt, any "whenever this player is dealt damage" ability will trigger.

[<o>]