The Modern Metagame

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Which decks do you all think will be widely represented at a Modern tournament? And which will be the viable archetypes?

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that at least some of the archetypes you can count on seeing will be:

Aggro:
'Big' Zoo
Domain Zoo
Artifact Aggro
Goblins
Merfolk
RDW/Burn

Midrange:
Death Cloud
Elves
Doran
Jund

Combo:
Hive Mind
Ad Nauseam
Living End
Dragonstorm
Greater Gorgodon Persist (kind of a comboish Midrange kind of thing, really, from what I've seen)

Control:
U/x
Martyr

Feel free (and very much encouraged) to add some, but the primary function of this thread is to figure out which of these decks will actually be viable. Any thoughts?

Personally, I'm thinking that both Zoo variants could be viable, along with Ad Nauseam, Dragonstorm, Elves, Doran and some U/x Control with Engineered Explosives.

/EDIT/: Forgot 12-Post when I... ahem... posted this. That deck is probably going to be degenerate.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
judging the history of magic some variation of u/x control will dominate my guess would be u/w jace stoneforge baneslayer and a ton of permission cards followed by tooth and nail and probably some affinity/artifact aggro mixes. 
judging the history of magic some variation of u/x control will dominate my guess would be u/w jace stoneforge baneslayer and a ton of permission cards followed by tooth and nail and probably some affinity/artifact aggro mixes. 

jace and stoneforge are banned bro.
Want to know how to keep a moron busy? Reread this sentence to find out!
I'd add MBC and BUG to control.
Niche, I eagerly anticipate a MBC thread for modern.
It's not necessarily a deck archetype, but expect to see a lot of pestermite/twin/exarch/kikki packages floating around in a bunch of lists.

Photobucket
Since aether vial, blood moon, and magus of the moon are all fair game expect a strong showing from goblins. 
Given the current banned list (which is far too overreaching, in my opinion), I'd say that Zoo (and all of its variants) will be in the best shape.  I had a wonderful slew of decks set up (legal under the Community Cup banned list).  This is currently what I'm looking into as viable options

Zoo
Little Zoo ( , using as many aggressive creatures as possible, curving out around 3 CMC)

Big Zoo ( , using a little bit of ramp, curving out at Baneslayer and the like, possibly using Ranger of Eos as the curve-topper)

Bloodbraid Zoo ( , Peaking the CMC at 4 and making sure that there are no bad cascades)

Maverick (aka Zenith Zoo) ( , slower and more mid-ranged, CMC peaking at either 3 or 4 depending on the build, running a large toolbox of "value" creatures and efficient-as-Hell beaters)

Bant Zoo ( , more like an midrange control deck featuring Counter Magic alongside efficient beaters, cappinig off creatures at 3 CMC), possibly featuring Green Sun's Zenith - although more for card advantage than as a toolbox)

Hateful Zoo ( , running as many efficient "hate bears" as possible to counter popular play strategies, pairing them with efficient beaters

Punishing Zoo ( , Like Big Zoo, this deck beats up on quicker variants, building more around the Punishing/Grove combo with the usual suspects present)

Domain Zoo (4-5 color zoo that makes use of Tribal Flames, insanely, quick ground forces, and colorful, hate cards)

Doran Zoo ( , Semi-Treefolk Tribal, using the best removal and disruption  available, many of which are themselves creatures

Mid-Range / Aggro-Control
/ / Merfolk (probably with Aether Vial)

/ Fae (even without Bitterblossom, they have strong Counter Magic, hand disruption and creature removal, perhaps with Bob and company for card draw)

Elf-ish Rock (paired with hand disruption, of course - sometimes tribal, sometimes not)

3-color Junk (because there are too many good cards not to)

Control
Twelve-post Control / Urzatron! (card draw, counterspells, Sweepers and the three Eldrazi Titans give a powerful late-game.  Green splashes gives more land tutoring while red gives land destruction

Generic / control

Teachings Control

Gifts Control

Full-On Five Color Control (complete with filter lands, shock lands, pain lands and Reflecting Pool)

Next Level Blue (maybe, because it's proven itself in the past)

Combo
Various Storm Combo

Elffinity (slower, but still good)

Next Level Twin Combo

Hive Mind Combo (maybe)

Cascade Combo (worse than Hypergenesis, but it still has potential)

In Memorium
Basically, the (unnecessary) casualties of the new banned list (other than the obvious combo decks), are:

non-little, non-punishing zoo decks, junk, some boros, control, aggro-control (Stoneforge Mystic)

aggro-control - particularly Fae - and junk (Bitterblossom)

control, junk, some Bloodbraid variants (Ancestral Vision

Control, Junk and some combo (Jace, the Mind Sculptor)

any possible reanimator (Dread Return)

control, aggro-control, junk, combo (Mental Misstep, the most innocent card on the list).

Unnecessary victims of the first banned list were:

Affinity aggro / aggro-control and Metalcraft mid-range / control (all artifact lands)

any deck running a Stoneforge Mystic Package and some mid-range / zoo variants (Umezawa's Jitte
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Maybe someone will make a reanimator type deck with Gifts Ungiven and Goryo's Vengeance, or a Fauna Shaman/Time of Need variant!
Death Cloud will be legit. The deck is so rock solid and has a degenerate play.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Would goblin charbelcher deck be viable?

Greater Gorgodon Persist (kind of a comboish Midrange kind of thing, really, from what I've seen)

That deck had infinite combo in it, right? Suspended gargadon + Melira + murderous redcap? Id reckon commune with nature would help assembling it as all comboparts are creatures. I havent seen the list.
"And the word my father taught me that evening, the word meaning 'the strongest', was mage." - Tezzeret the seeker, Test of Metal

Hulk combo is something that is probably legit, since you have Footsteps, gifts etc. Mannequin is another reanimator spell.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
Maybe someone will make a reanimator type deck with Gifts Ungiven and Goryo's Vengeance, or a Fauna Shaman/Time of Need variant!

That actually sounds pretty interesting...

Any ideas for a Gifts package?

Reya Dawnbringer, Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, Nicol Bolas and something else? Technically, you could even use Emrakul, seeing as Goryo's Vengeance is instant-speed... which would put it just about at the same speed as Hive Mind, I guess.

/EDIT/: @Cyrus: What would a gifts package for a Hulk Combo deck look like?
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM

My freind has a legacy hulk deck, but basically, you ship stuff to the GY, then cast footsteps of goryo or instant speed necromancy.

It would probably lose speed thanks to no Entomb/Careful study, (no living wish sucks as well)but Idea's Unbound is probably good enough. This is literally of the top of my head:

4 Protean Hulk
1 Mogg Fanatic
4 Viscera Seer
1 Body Double
1 Reveillark
(11)

4 Ideas Unbound
4 Thoughtseize
4 Remand
4 Draw-discard etc?
3 Gifts Ungiven
4 Footsteps of the Goryo
4 Makeshift Mannequin
(27)

Some lands.... Yuo could probably play a random fattty to mannequin back as well if you wanted.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
Just from watching on MTGO it seems that Zoo and 12 post are the most popular decks. Other decks I've seen include u/x control, living end combo, and elves.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
If 12-Post turns out to be as good as people say it is, then Bloodbraid Zoo might be the best way to go. Rangers won't really work against a list like that - it's not about overwhelming them with powerful threats, it's about killing them before they get to fight back, while having actual hate for them.

4 Wild Nacatl
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Qasali Pridemage
3 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Bloodbraid Elf

3 Punishing Fire
2 Lightning Helix
3 Molten Rain
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Path to Exile

23 Lands

1 Ghost Quarter
1 Sejiri Steppe
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Forest
4 Arid Mesa
3 Sacred Foundry
3 Temple Garden
2 Stomping Ground
4 Grove of the Burnwillows
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Verdant Catacombs

SB: 1 Molten Rain
SB: 1 Path to Exile
SB: 3 Fulminator Mage
SB: 2 Gaddock Teeg
SB: 2 Char
SB: 3 Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB: 3 Ancient Grudge

I don't know if that would be packing too much 12-Post hate - Molten Rain, however, should be good in the Control, Midrange and 12-Post MU's, while you just side them out against aggro decks and when you need something else. Bloodbraid Elf cascades into it, though, which gives you more of a fighting chance in that MU. I don't know.

Any ideas for a Gifts package?

Reya Dawnbringer, Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, Nicol Bolas and something else?

Why use Reya when you can play Sheoldred? Simply better imo. I would imagine Iona to be part of a reanimate package nearly always.

"And the word my father taught me that evening, the word meaning 'the strongest', was mage." - Tezzeret the seeker, Test of Metal

My freind has a legacy hulk deck, but basically, you ship stuff to the GY, then cast footsteps of goryo or instant speed necromancy.

It would probably lose speed thanks to no Entomb/Careful study, (no living wish sucks as well)but Idea's Unbound is probably good enough. This is literally of the top of my head:

4 Protean Hulk
1 Mogg Fanatic
4 Viscera Seer
1 Body Double
1 Reveillark
(11)

4 Ideas Unbound
4 Thoughtseize
4 Remand
4 Draw-discard etc?
3 Gifts Ungiven
4 Footsteps of the Goryo
4 Makeshift Mannequin
(27)

Some lands.... Yuo could probably play a random fattty to mannequin back as well if you wanted.

I still don't understand the Footsteps interaction, since Footsteps requires a legendary creature target.

Photobucket

4 Protean Hulk
1 Mogg Fanatic
4 Viscera Seer
1 Body Double
1 Reveillark
(11)

4 Ideas Unbound
4 Thoughtseize
4 Remand
4 Draw-discard etc?
3 Gifts Ungiven
4 Footsteps of the Goryo
4 Makeshift Mannequin
(27)

I still don't understand the Footsteps interaction, since Footsteps requires a legendary creature target.

Nope, that's Goryo's Vengeance.

Through the Breach might be better, though. On the other hand, the combo itself would still be subject to GY hate, so...

Several points:

Do you see any deck using the Life from the Loam engine? I don't know if Niche was thinking about it, but Loam is a nice partner for Death cloud and has Raven's crime for the control grind. The only nasty fact is that now every deck has access to Surgical Extraction and it isn't nice to autolose to a zero mana card.

Which will be the prevalent form of nonbasic hate? Blood Moon can make sort of a Geddon act for Zoo and the various red decks can use it too. I don't think the format is going to be slow enough for Tectonic Edge to be relevant and Ghost quarter has always looked weak in my opinion, save when the purpose is to destroy a utility lands like Dark Depths. Honestly, I would like to see a cheap nonbasic hate card able to hate Zoo out of the metagame by itself.

I have the impression than Timely Reinforcements + Wrath of God is a better deal than Firespout as antiaggro hate. With the absense of Mental Misstep, blue can't be relied on for the aggro matchup. I see this as a very positive effect, since it gives a place on the metagame for nonblue control decks such as Martyr or the various forms of ramp. Of course, this needs the hope that turn three combo doesn't find a way to sneak in and ruin the party.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
For the loam engine the best way to use it is in a gifts package I actually happen to have a list from a while ago that I believe won some ptq saved on my computer here it is.

/ Lands
    3 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
    1 [SOK] Miren, the Moaning Well
    3 [ZEN] Plains (3)
    2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    3 [RAV] Temple Garden
    1 [ZEN] Island (4)
    1 [DIS] Ghost Quarter
    1 [DIS] Hallowed Fountain
    3 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
    1 [ZEN] Emeria, the Sky Ruin
    1 [ZEN] Forest (4)
    2 [GP] Godless Shrine
    1 [RAV] Overgrown Tomb
    1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

// Creatures
    3 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    3 [FD] Eternal Witness
    4 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
    1 [RAV] Loxodon Hierarch
    1 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage
    4 [CHK] Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1 [CHK] Yosei, the Morning Star

// Spells
    1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    2 [10E] Wrath of God
    1 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
    2 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
    1 [RAV] Life from the Loam
    1 [FD] Rude Awakening
    4 [CHK] Gifts Ungiven
    4 [CFX] Path to Exile
    2 [DS] Pulse of the Fields
    1 [EVE] Raven's Crime

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [DIS] Ghost Quarter
SB: 1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
SB: 3 [ZEN] Ravenous Trap
SB: 2 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 3 [PLC] Extirpate
SB: 3 [9E] Mana Leak
SB: 2 [10E] Pithing Needle

It's from the last season of old extended so it's a little dated but when I have played it I have found that searching loam urbog raven's crime and some random tech has always lead to very good results.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Haha, I could see a pretty cool gifts package in Loam, Raven's Crime, Flame Jab and Tectonic Edge/Ghost Quarter (against decks with few basics). Loamhammer! =)
what about boros aggro? or will that be strictly worse than zoo?
Haha, I could see a pretty cool gifts package in Loam, Raven's Crime, Flame Jab and Tectonic Edge/Ghost Quarter (against decks with few basics). Loamhammer! =)

Worm Harvest wants to play as a way better wincon than Flame Jab.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I'd probably rather go with Flame Jab and then have enough red filters to support it. Being able to just keep dealing damage to everything around you is pretty powerful - you basically get a free Inferno Titan activation each turn. 5 mana obviously gets you more, but 5 mana is a lot.

Also, with a land base to support multiple Jab activations in one turn, Seismic Assault makes Loam even more bonkers. I could even see Loam being a 3-of along with four Gifts. Then you can also play a singleton Worm Harvest so that if you get Loam in your hand, your package is Worm Harvest, Flame Jab, Raven's Crime and Tec/Ghost.

This gives you the added benefit of being able to go for Loam, Flame Jab, Worm Harvest, Raven's Crime if you've already got your utility land or Loam, Jab, Harvest, Quarter against aggro.

*Starts brewing*
Rough list:

1 Obstinate Baloth
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Eternal Witness
4 Kitchen Finks
1 Deity of Scars

3 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Damnation
1 Slagstorm
1 Primal Command
1 Rude Awakening
2 Life from the Loam
4 Gifts Ungiven
2 Smother
1 Doom Blade
1 Dismember
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Flame Jab
1 Worm Harvest
1 Raven's Crime

1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Tectonic Edge
2 Misty Rainforest
3 Verdant Catacombs
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Cascade Bluffs
1 Fire-Lit Thicket
1 Steam Vents
2 Stomping Ground
1 Watery Grave
1 Breeding Pool
1 Forest
1 Island
1 Swamp

No Assault, though. =)

Thoughts?