Modern Dragonstorm

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oh, am I the first one to post a combo deck here? Hehehe.

Well, legacy has the ANT storm deck, my guess is that Modern will have the Dragonstorm combo deck. There's no Force of Will here, combo out freely!

Thoughts? Ideas? No sideboard yet, don't know what the meta will be like. Thought of Lightning Bolt, Pyroclasm or Magma Jet. I just need to combo out before Tarmogoyf kills me.
I'd probably play it more like Belcher/All in Red especially because there is no Force of Will.

Land: 20
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
4 Fungal Reaches
8 Mountain

Fast Mana and Cantrips: 24
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Rite of Flame
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Seething Song
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Manamorphose

Kill: 16
4 Dragonstorm
4 Empty the Warrens
4 Bogardan Hellkite
1 Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
3 Deus of Calamity 

Numbers have to be tweaked, but I like how you can storm out for many goblins turn 1 and put pressure on your opponent as you restock your hand. Turn 1 Deus can land screw your opponent.
My Trade Thread Control capabilities are in all the colors. The difference is in the way they say no.
I'd probably play it more like Belcher/All in Red especially because there is no Force of Will.

4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
4 Fungal Reaches
8 Mountain

4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Rite of Flame
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Seething Song
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Manamorphose

4 Dragonstorm
4 Empty the Warrens
4 Bogardan Hellkite
3 Deus of Calamity 

Numbers have to be tweaked, but I like how you can storm out for many goblins turn 1 and put pressure on your opponent as you restock your hand. Turn 1 Deus can land screw your opponent.

Didn't think of that. However, will those goblins be enough to be a winning condition? I mean, a Pyroclasm will ruin your day. Deus of Calamity turn one seems brutal indeed. If we are about to use storm as just another winning condition and use big amounts of mana to summon big beasts, why not use Blightsteel Colossus or something like that instead?

4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
4 Fungal Reaches
8 Mountain

4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Rite of Flame
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Seething Song
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Manamorphose

4 Dragonstorm
4 Empty the Warrens
4 Bogardan Hellkite
3 Deus of Calamity 

Didn't think of that. However, will those goblins be enough to be a winning condition? I mean, a Pyroclasm will ruin your day. Deus of Calamity turn one seems brutal indeed. If we are about to use storm as just another winning condition and use big amounts of mana to summon big beasts, why not use Blightsteel Colossus or something like that instead?

The goblins can get there, after all while a Pyroclasm or Ratchet Bomb or Engineered explosives can be problematic, they still have to draw it just like any hate piece. Storming for 10+ goblins turn 1 puts your opponent on a fast clock and gets around things like Leyline of Sanctity. The mana requirements for Empty the Warrens are also significantly less than Dragonstorm, which makes it easier to hit on turn 1. If you wanted to use Goblin Bushwhacker in the list you could theoretically swing for 22 on turn 1. There is a reason why Empty the Warrens is used in Belcher and TES. As for using Deus, getting RRRRR is quite easy for this deck and can be hit turn 1. Hitting 12 mana would be a lot harder.
My Trade Thread Control capabilities are in all the colors. The difference is in the way they say no.

4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
4 Fungal Reaches
8 Mountain

4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Rite of Flame
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Seething Song
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Manamorphose

4 Dragonstorm
4 Empty the Warrens
4 Bogardan Hellkite
3 Deus of Calamity 

The goblins can get there, after all while a Pyroclasm or Ratchet Bomb or Engineered explosives can be problematic, they still have to draw it just like any hate piece. Storming for 10+ goblins turn 1 puts your opponent on a fast clock and gets around things like Leyline of Sanctity. The mana requirements for Empty the Warrens are also significantly less than Dragonstorm, which makes it easier to hit on turn 1. If you wanted to use Goblin Bushwhacker in the list you could theoretically swing for 22 on turn 1. There is a reason why Empty the Warrens is used in Belcher and TES. As for using Deus, getting RRRRR is quite easy for this deck and can be hit turn 1. Hitting 12 mana would be a lot harder.

You're right. I'm gonna stick with your version of Dragonstorm. Seems like a pretty budget deck and pretty effective. The only thing that worries me is that Spell Snare and Spell Pierce almost kill the deck instantly. I'm gonna use Boseiju, who Shelters All at least 1 time.

I think I'll cut 2 lands and go down to 18. I don't think this deck will need more than 3 lands on the battlefield anyway.

Sideboard ideas so far are:

1 Volcanic Awakening (Yep. I've waited to use 1-of this card for so long. Seems like that in this deck's SB can do a lot of damage).
4 Blood Moon (thinking of using this card as a 2-of in main board an 2-of in sideboard, plus 3 Magus of the Moon in sideboard. It's another instant lock I pretty much like. I prefer Back to Basics but obviously this isn't legacy.)
2-3 more Boseiju, who Shelters All. I'm gonna hate any opponent who counters my Desperate Ritual with a Spell Snare.

I need help at that matter. Gotta see more decklists and figure out how take 'em quickly out. Against non-control decks, this deck can pretty much like achieve an instant kill I think. Against control decks, there're gonna be a lot of problems. Any ideas at that matter?
The great things about Dragonstorm are its speed and its resilience to counter spells. Rather than trying to build an all-in deck, just play to those strengths. You can devote your sideboard to aggro and hate.

4x Bogardan Hellkite
1x Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund

4x Ponder
4x Preordain
4x Peer through Depths
3x See Beyond

4x Gigadrowse
4x Remand

4x Rite of Flame
4x Seething Song
4x Dragonstorm

3x Island
1x Mountain
4x Steam Vents
4x Cascade Bluffs
3x Scalding Tarn
3x Misty Rainforest
2x Arid Mesa
I don't know - a counterspell targeting the first Seething Song sounds like trouble to me.

I'd probably build it as an all-in deck and then side in Guttural Resposes or something for the Control MU.

I'm no expert, though - maybe a couple of Boseijus MD will do the trick.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
There are a few ways I've seen Dragonstorm built.  One is the R/U version that packs some control, the all in monored versions, and a version that uses Spinerock Knoll back in TS/Lor standard. Each one would have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I personally like the all in version due to its variety of win cons and no need to wait. Being able to put immediate pressure on your opponent and ignoring Leyline of Sanctity is a great thing.
I don't know - a counterspell targeting the first Seething Song sounds like trouble to me.

I'd probably build it as an all-in deck and then side in Guttural Resposes or something for the Control MU.

I'm no expert, though - maybe a couple of Boseijus MD will do the trick.

Well the idea is to wait until you can Gigadrowse to tap them out at EOT, then win the next turn unhindered.
That might be kinda hard to do playing 20 lands...
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
That might be kinda hard to do playing 20 lands...

Not in testing so far. The deck digs so frequently that you'll be hitting most of your land drops. By the time you're ready to combo off, your typical opponent will have 1-4 untapped lands at the end of their turn, which is easily tapped. A control player will have more, possibly as much as 5-6. In those cases I will generally hold off until I can catch them after they've played a spell and tap the rest. It's usually not hard to do game 1, and game 2 I have Guttural Response to help even more. I would recommend testing versions with blue. They rarely combo off on turn 1, but the resilience makes them much better than all-in versions.
Ok. I'll definitely try it out.
Just a note, I just replaced Guttural Response with Dispel in the sideboard. Somehow I forgot that spell existed.
Sign In to post comments