I want to get into modern

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
What would be a good deck to build that doesn't fold to every other deck and I can make on a budget?
What would be a good deck to build that doesn't fold to every other deck and I can make on a budget?

That's a pretty lofty set of requirements.

That's a pretty lofty set of requirements.

Not really. Living end is dirt cheap after the shocklands, and the old extended lists didnt even run fetchlands.

Also, goblins is pretty cheap, as is elves. Finally, a basic marty or the sands list tends to be pretty cheap, since the new finishers are sun titan and elesh norn.

Photobucket
mono red could be playbable and is going to be dirt cheap.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

take tempered steel... mix it with affinity... profit.
Since we have a section for modern now, I'll be moving this to modern general.  Make sure to post your modern-related threads there in the future!
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
...dirt cheap after the shocklands...

Yep, and Zoo is dirt cheap after goyf, the shocklands, and fetches.  Saying something is dirt cheap after you spend 80+ dollars on lands is a bit far fetched.

Mono red goblin bloodmoon will be cheap, straight forward, and can really hurt many of the decks in the metagame.
As general advice, investing in Shocklands and Zendikar fetches will probably be a good plan. That way, you can build a lot of very powerful decks without having to invest much.

Most people can borrow a set of Dark Confidants or Tarmogoyfs for a tournament. That's rarely a real problem if you have a couple of friends who also play. Otherwise, you can often trade for them, then trade those for what you need in your next deck when that becomes relevant.

The real problem is often the manabases. In Modern, they won't rotate out, though, so once you've made an investment in a couple of playsets of shocks and a couple of playsets of fetches, you can play a lot of the best decks in the format. Just trade your shocks for the shocks you need in a specific deck and the same with fetches.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
any deck that costs less that $200 is a cheap deck, just sayin'.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

...dirt cheap after the shocklands...

Yep, and Zoo is dirt cheap after goyf, the shocklands, and fetches.  Saying something is dirt cheap after you spend 80+ dollars on lands is a bit far fetched.

Mono red goblin bloodmoon will be cheap, straight forward, and can really hurt many of the decks in the metagame.

No, I'm serious when I say living end is dirt cheap after the shocks. The entire deck, including sideboard, costs roughly $150. That's nothing, especially when you consider a playset of goyfs for zoo is going to run you roughly $250.

Photobucket
As mentioned, monored or monogreen elves should give you a lot of bang for the buck. Monowhite weenie might also. 

You probably won't win tournaments, but with an aggressive mono colored deck you should be able to put up a good fight most of the time, and you avoid the financial hit of expensive mana bases.
As mentioned, monored or monogreen elves should give you a lot of bang for the buck. Monowhite weenie might also. 

You probably won't win tournaments, but with an aggressive mono colored deck you should be able to put up a good fight most of the time, and you avoid the financial hit of expensive mana bases.

Problem with avoiding the financial hit of expensive mana bases is hitting the expensive tournament fees with no rewards.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
Well, that is the nature of tournaments and events, very few people get rewards.  Some people (no necessarily me) find that paying $10 to get in to a tournament is worth it for the fun of playing in the tournament.  Besides, you can test all you want, but until you actually participate you will not really be able to tune your deck and play to the metagame.
The good news about a non-rotating format, is that any "new" classic can be acquired on the go.  Meaning, you can pick up new dual lands out of packs and just replace the budget ones since the rest of your deck won't rotate out on you in the process.

The good news about starting this non-rotating format at a time where Force of Will doesn't exist means you don't have to start out with $240 for the first 4 cards.  Nor do you have to spend another $500 on just the manabase, either.  Sure, Goyf sucks, though....

I think starting with a budgetized version of a deck is a good way to go, then as you pick up more powerful stuff randomly, you can improve that one deck to the point where it can be seriously competitive.  

At least that's my goal: exclude the mana-base for now, find a deck that looks fun and yet has the tools to be competitive within my playstyle.  Tweak over time. 

At least that's my goal: exclude the mana-base for now, find a deck that looks fun and yet has the tools to be competitive within my playstyle.  Tweak over time. 

That's not a bad mindset, considering that there's zero restrictions on reprints for Modern. WotC has basically guaranteed that whatever set contains the shocklands are going to be a mega-seller, as will the new ISD set since it contains the enemy duals.

Photobucket
I think the cost to be competitive will keep a lot of people out of it. Sad. Good Format.
No Pro Tour for the poor. 
I think the cost to be competitive will keep a lot of people out of it. Sad. Good Format.
No Pro Tour for the poor. 

umm this has always been the case at pro tours, the pros spend money or know many other folks that have the cards they need. At least with modern, while some cards might be expencive to buy in on, you can peicemeal what you need over time. which is a dang sight better that standard in certain cases.
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
Good point. I'm not lookin to play competitive, it just seems Modern might even be more expensive than Standard in terms of rounding out decks with high power singles, but no rotation means you wont have to buy a new set of cards every three months, so, maybe the scale balances.
Good point. I'm not lookin to play competitive, it just seems Modern might even be more expensive than Standard in terms of rounding out decks with high power singles, but no rotation means you wont have to buy a new set of cards every three months, so, maybe the scale balances.

If you assume that with each rotation you have to spend $100-$200 to stay competetive in standard, Modern should be cheaper after only one rotation.  Those numbers are completely speculative without much thought,  but it illustrates the point.  Even Legacy comes out cheaper after a few rotations, so Modern will do so much faster.  The deck you choose has some impact on it, and you can play a cheaper deck until you can acquire all the shocklands you need.
The cheapest deck that's viable would be some sort of eggstorm.  I'll give it a rough go.  You COULD cut Moxen.

4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Inkmoth Nexus 
4 Blinkmoth Nexus
4 Glimmervoid

4 Mox Opal
4 Azorious Signet
2 Talismen of Progress

4 Conjurer's Bauble
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
4 Terrarion

3 Locket of Yesterdays
4 Krak-Clan Ironworks 

4 Second Sunrise
3 Open the Vaults 

2 Time Sieve

2 Grapeshot

Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
The cheapest deck that's viable would be some sort of eggstorm.  I'll give it a rough go.  You COULD cut Moxen.

4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Inkmoth Nexus 
4 Blinkmoth Nexus
4 Glimmervoid

4 Mox Opal
4 Azorious Signet
2 Talismen of Progress

4 Conjurer's Bauble
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
4 Terrarion

3 Locket of Yesterdays
4 Krak-Clan Ironworks 

4 Second Sunrise
3 Open the Vaults 

2 Time Sieve

2 Grapeshot

Meh...I think Mono-Red Blood Moon aggro is probably an easier win, and probably just as cheap.
True to the point in that you do get to run 8 moon effects, which really screws with so many land bases its not funny.
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
Sí!  It also has some of the best aggro creatures, Mass D, Land D, Targeted D, and Face Burn; in addition it is probably the second best color for mana accelleration (even if it is short term) and has a few fat fliers (if that is the rout you want to go).  On the downside it is probably the color that has most common protection from it, but that is not too big a problem.  I think you could go a long way with a deck core of:
3-4x Blood Moon
3-4x Magus of the Moon
2-3x Shrine of Burning Rage
2-3x Grim Lavamancer

...though I have not put too much work in to it.
id go
 4 blood
3 magus
3 shrine
2 grim

You dont want grims too early even if you run the full 8 fetches, magus can still be killed via some type of removal but you still want to see him.
then blood is likely the safest since not many folks do main or much sb enchanment removal. Shrine I always like at three cause even with its reach it still has the problem of I dont want to draw two in my opening hand, but you still want them sometime.
Boros is cheap to build if you ain't looking to win a major event, i rebuilt one the other day on mtgo and all i spent was 15 bucks. and yes i know duel lands are expensive but city of brass is cheap.
Whatever deck you decide to run with I reccomend testing the **** out of it in MWS to determine the deck's effectiveness against all deck archetypes. Its quite a bad feeling to buy a bunch of cards for a deck to find out your deck isn't that good.