De-rail this thread

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rules

The objective of this game is to de-rail the topic.
Quote the previous post and respond to it with a maximum of 2 sentences.
Then change the topic so it is as far off from the original topic as possible.

Who was the worst DM you've ever played with?

I had a friend who we only allowed to DM once because he sucked so bad. I posted the story in a previous thread, but in case you didn't see it,
here it is

We started out in the middle of a goblin horde attack on the keep we were in. They were easily winning and we were supposed to try to escape. The DM didn't like psionics, so he had a high level wizard wish my class away. I'm left running around with  freaking dagger. My cousin's wizard blows his load by shooting his magic missle. so the two of us are just trying to avoid being butchered by the goblins. Fortunately the DM was completely inexperienced and the quickling brownie thief was tearing up everything in his way. So after about 5 minutes of total boredom, my cousin and I just start making jokes about how useless our characters were. after about another five minutes of jokes, the DM and the other player got tired of it and ended the game.

One of the best adventures we played was the one we played 2 minutes after that one ended.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
Rules

The objective of this game is to de-rail the topic.
Quote the previous post and respond to it with a maximum of 2 sentences.
Then change the topic so it is as far off from the original topic as possible.

Who was the worst DM you've ever played with?

I had a friend who we only allowed to DM once because he sucked so bad. I posted the story in a previous thread, but in case you didn't see it,
here it is

We started out in the middle of a goblin horde attack on the keep we were in. They were easily winning and we were supposed to try to escape. The DM didn't like psionics, so he had a high level wizard wish my class away. I'm left running around with  freaking dagger. My cousin's wizard blows his load by shooting his magic missle. so the two of us are just trying to avoid being butchered by the goblins. Fortunately the DM was completely inexperienced and the quickling brownie thief was tearing up everything in his way. So after about 5 minutes of total boredom, my cousin and I just start making jokes about how useless our characters were. after about another five minutes of jokes, the DM and the other player got tired of it and ended the game.

One of the best adventures we played was the one we played 2 minutes after that one ended.

I have a toss-up for worst DM.  One of them is... me. 

On an entirely unrelated note, Tim Pawlenty dropped out of the running for GOP Presidential candidate.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
I have a toss-up for worst DM.  One of them is... me. 

On an entirely unrelated note, Tim Pawlenty dropped out of the running for GOP Presidential candidate.

Yeah, I guess he finally figured out he had no chance. 

I went out for shushi earlier. Good stuff. 
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.

I prefer all-you-can-eat Mongolian BBQ.  It's better and it's ALL YOU CAN EAT!!!

Anybody see Captian and Thor?  How were they?

"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?

I prefer all-you-can-eat Mongolian BBQ.  It's better and it's ALL YOU CAN EAT!!!

Anybody see Captian and Thor?  How were they?

I saw both. Thor... horrible. Captain... not too bad actually. Much better than Thor.

My cats decided that they want marshmellows. What the hell?  
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
I am going to try to make home made sushi one day or another.

Speaking of things that taste like fish, Hippy Girl will be coming over tonight. She'll be making trout or salmon.

That sounds tasty.. the food, not the hippie. So when is the wedding?

I have to go to another stupid graduate orientation this Friday. What a waste of time. Best of all, I have to pay $35 to go to an orientation I don't want to go to.  
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
My cats decided that they want marshmellows. What the hell?

Fluffy sugar.  'Nuff said.

Is it just me, or do people seem to be taking more interest in this year's NFL preseason than... ever?

User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Fluffy sugar.  'Nuff said.

Is it just me, or do people seem to be taking more interest in this year's NFL preseason than... ever?

It is just you.

So I was asking myself, what is the meaning of life?

The 1927 Yankees.

What is the etymology of "the"?

User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Rules?

You should read the rules. it helps.

What is your favorite vegetable? 
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
My damned puppy thinks anything not to heavy to lift is food, he has eatten some of the most disgusting stuff, including a dirty sock which he puked up a few hours later.

I used to have a dog who would eat sponges. 

What's the worst thing about the state of Washington?

User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
My damned puppy thinks anything not to heavy to lift is food, he has eatten some of the most disgusting stuff, including a dirty sock which he puked up a few hours later.

The rain. Then the rest of the weather.

Why do we do pointless crap like this?

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls

The rain. Then the rest of the weather.

Why do we do pointless crap like this?

Because we don't get to decide the weather. 

So have you reported any other threads today? 
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Likely

Someone didn't read the rules.

I once found half a worm in an apple.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
Likely

Someone didn't read the rules.

I once found half a worm in an apple.

This is the OTT we don't like rules or enforcement

I won a drawing for a 100$ giftcard for hastings

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Nah, I heard trappedslider doenst do that sort of thing anymore, right?

And were not allowed to talk about D&D in the OTT!?

Or wait thats still on topic, uhm damn!!

IM ussually very good at derailing topics, and off-topic posting, but now im sorta put on the spot here, I cant think of a damn thing!!

Uhm, uhm, Corn, yeah corn, you ever notice that corn must have no nutritional value at all, or maybe humans just have trouble digesting the stuff, I mean it just goes right through ya you know? Not only that but your body seems to go out of its way to reasemble it back into kernal form, I mean I know I chewed the stuff up, but then when it comes out....
And from what I understand, the rest of the world makes fun of us Americans for eating it. I say from what I understand, cause ive never actually been out of the country, unless Canada counts?
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
...cause ive never actually been out of the country, unless Canada counts?

A) Only if you call it by its truename: Canadia.
B) Second on-topic sentence: I've been to Canadia and got turned away at the border into Mexico because I didn't have any ID. 

[W]hen girls say "no," they really mean, of course, please chain our bodies together against my will.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
...cause ive never actually been out of the country, unless Canada counts?

A) Only if you call it by its truename: Canadia.
B) Second on-topic sentence: I've been to Canadia and got turned away at the border into Mexico because I didn't have any ID. 

[W]hen girls say "no," they really mean, of course, please chain our bodies together against my will.

What.  The.

Soooo ... anyone see the new Game Informer with Borderlands 2 info?  I'm excited!
Benevolent God of Death "No one told you when to run."
Soooo ... anyone see the new Game Informer with Borderlands 2 info?  I'm excited!

Sorry, but I'm more of a movie buff than video gamer.  I prefer Entertainment Weekly, Maxim, and Cinescape.

Bus driver fired, for saving three undercover cops!  Best part: according to the story, he was fired before even making it back to the garage.  They rehired him, but he has an official reprimand for "not reporting the incident".   

User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Bus Driver is so awesome that saving 3 undercover cops is part of his normal life.

What do you think about changing your shift at work? I had to today. I kind of like not going in immediately after waking up in the morning.
http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.
Never ever reward it and don't let anyone else either.  If anyone feed's 'em at the table then it doesn't work.

Sorta like the whole "use humor to deflate the situation thing" they tell (or used to tell) elementary school students as a "how to deal with bullies" tactic.  Then again, maybe standing up in the auditorium and telling the speaker it didn't work because bullies were "too dumb to understand" might have been too humorous1... 
________
1True story.  I was a smart-ass even in 1st grade. 
Resident Over-Educated Ivory-Tower Elitist [You don't have the Need-to-Know for that, citizen]
I don't allow the dogs in the same room when we're eating. All you have to do is take them out of the room any time someone is sitting down with food. You might end up with a few cold meals at first, but most dogs catch on pretty fast. Just be calm and consistent. Any time the puppy's head comes past the doorfame, you have to address the issue. In the beginning that'll mean getting up and blocking him/her. Move toward the dog and it will back up to stay out of "your space".

Escher's point about not rewarding it is also extremely important, but I'd like to add that feeding isn't the only type of reward. Don't pet it while you're eating, or give it any attention other than what's needed to achieve the desired result. In my case that's teaching it to leave the room, but you may be more lenient than me and simply require it to lay quietly somewhere out of the way. I prefer keeping them out of the room altogether because it makes it easier to make sure other people don't reward it either.

It can have all the attention it wants as soon as the meal is over and the dishes are cleared away. Now, when I sit down with food I don't even have to give a command. The dogs leave the room, and find some place else to play. They've learned that after I eat, as long as they stayed away, I am going to pet them or give them a few treats or take them out for a game.

An additional note: Please, please, please train your dog. Start with basic obedience, yes, but once that's learned, keep at it. Think of new things to teach them. Dogs need to have their minds exercised as well as their bodies. Give them the mental stimulation they need, or they'll get bored and restless no matter how much you walk them. A bored dog will find something to entertain itself, and you probably won't like it. A lot of "problem dogs" are just bored.

Final note: Stay calm and focused. Never lose your cool and scream at your dog. It doesn't really help. It just freaks your dog out, at best, or makes you seem weak and unstable, at worst.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
I don't know what's worse, an OTTer's reading comprehension or his/her attention span ...

Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Sorry, had too many threads open. Thought I was reading WDYWTTA. I got suckered by a subject that's important to me, having seen too many "problem animals" on death row.

I'll pay more attention to what thread I'm in in the future.

OMG I did it agian!

What are some good names for kobolds?
PARTY PARTY HARD
PARTY HARD 

3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2
That thing needs a siezure warning.

I like cake.
Bugbears and pixie wings.

Good Idea: Stopping to smell the roses.
Bad Idea: Stopping to feel the roses.
Turquoise bicycle shoe fins actualize radishes greenly.
3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

It's been raining all freaking day. This sucks.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

It's been raining all freaking day summer. This sucks.

Welcome to PEI, Canada.

It always rains on my birthday.

Purple peanuts pack a powerful punch.
It always rains on my birthday.

Purple peanuts pack a powerful punch.

Are you sure you didn't get the purple peanuts from a powerful punch?

Pie... I want some apple pie. 
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

Are you sure you didn't get the purple peanuts from a powerful punch?

Pie... I want some apple pie. 

We all do, man. We all do.

So what does one do with a horny pants cyclop, his jewish cat familiar and a few beer canes. 

i do believe i already gave that answer in a previous post:

PARTY PARTY HARD
PARTY HARD

Yes. Yes he is.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
And now you're all copying Timmeh. Probably because TD said something about rereading the introductory thread.
But at least the letters are highly visible now.
You totally misunderstand. We're paying respect to a certain OTTer who bears a striking resemblance to this avatar.
You totally misunderstand. We're paying respect to a certain OTTer who bears a striking resemblance to this avatar.

But that doesn't look anything like me.

Or RH.
You need to think about our banned brothers and sisters!

Free Tibet! 

Are Tibetan chicks hawt?  Cuz if so, I'm down for them being free!

Who wants a ride on the bannedwagon?

Two... Ah ah ah! Three.. Ah ah ah! Four... Ah ah ah! Six... Ah ah ah!!
88534793 wrote:
Punctuation exists for a reason, and your neglect of the shift key is to the point where Social Services should be involved.
I’ve removed content from this thread because vulgarity is a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here:  wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg... .

I’ve removed content from this thread because XXX is a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code of Conduct here: wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg...

If you need help, you can contact us through the Knowledge Base. You can log in there with the same account you use to post here. Having trouble accessing the Knowledge Base? Post here and we can get it fixed.
Uhm, this kinda screws things up doesnt it? So now do I go by the orc post or go with the one before it!?

Well just to play it safe, I'll go with both.
Yes  I want a ride!, Getting rides is awesome!!!

And yeah, content has totally been removed from this thread, totally!

And I got a new hat!!

purty snazzy, yes?
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Yes, quite snazzy. It fits you well.

Bleh, my right shoulder has been so tight and tense. It's so blanking annoying.

Resident Grouch and Corrupting Influence A Monster Appears I'm Black and Blue how 'bout you?

Sign In to post comments