Astral Ascendant PP's Radiant Curse feature and Curse damage 1/turn?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Vestige Warlock Paragon Path Astral Ascendant has a level 11 feature that lets you deal your Warlock's Curse damage when an ally hits a cursed enemy, but still only once per round. How does the change to Warlock's Curse dealing damage 1/turn affect this? As a DM I ruled it that you could only deal curse damage on an ally's attack 1/round, but you could still deal curse damage when you hit cursed enemies 1/turn.

A more generous interpretation of this feature would allow you to deal your curse damage on every ally's turn when they hit a cursed enemy.

In any case, this Paragon Path got a huge upgrade.
...whatever
First of all, try the Homebrew forum for non-RAW topics.

Secondly, that's a bit much. At least the rogue has to be granted attacks. This warlock would be meeting striker benchmarks *without ever making his own attacks.*(assuming, of course, his allies can hit stuff). At paragon you're talking 9 (2d8) average radiant damage per ally, or 45 DPR in a 6-man group, and that's without optimizing your curse.
First of all, try the Homebrew forum for non-RAW topics.

Secondly, that's a bit much. At least the rogue has to be granted attacks. This warlock would be meeting striker benchmarks *without ever making his own attacks.*(assuming, of course, his allies can hit stuff). At paragon you're talking 9 (2d8) average radiant damage per ally, or 45 DPR in a 6-man group, and that's without optimizing your curse.

I don't think its exactly non-RAW, though by no means is it clear how that feature is supposed to work now. Warlock's Curse damage used to be 1/round, and the Paragon Path feature was written with that in mind. Now that Warlock's Curse has been changed to 1/turn, how does this feature work?
...whatever
The same way it always has worked, 1/round.  The only real debate is if you can use the PP curse after you've used it yourself in that round. (Which is a subject for the Rules Q&A fourm, still not CO)

Your Warlock’s Curse deals radiant damage. You can deal your Warlock’s Curse’s extra damage to a creature affected by your Warlock’s Curse when an ally hits that creature, but still only once per round.

Even tho curse is 1/turn, this feature is "still only once per round."  <-- even after the update, that makes sense.  There's zero way to contrue this as once/turn.
The same way it always has worked, 1/round.  The only real debate is if you can use the PP curse after you've used it yourself in that round. (Which is a subject for the Rules Q&A fourm, still not CO)

Your Warlock’s Curse deals radiant damage. You can deal your Warlock’s Curse’s extra damage to a creature affected by your Warlock’s Curse when an ally hits that creature, but still only once per round.

Even tho curse is 1/turn, this feature is "still only once per round."  <-- even after the update, that makes sense.  There's zero way to contrue this as once/turn.

Then the question becomes can you deal curse damage on an ally's attack if you've dealt curse damage on your turn.
...whatever
You can deal curse damage once per turn.

You can deal curse damage via Astral Ascendant once per round.

Would that make it a Sky Blue or Gold path feature?
...whatever
My hybrid that took it it became like purple     Rogue|Warlock that spams Rogue powers and lets an ally do curse damage 1/rnd

The build is strictly inferior to a straight rogue now, since I can't get off-turn striker damage.
I asked this in Rules a while ago, and to CS.  CS told me there wasn't a clear cut answer,  and it was submitted to the development team for future errata/clarification.  Just FYI.
Apologies for the Necro, thought I would use this thread instead of creating another one.

cdrombach, did you get a response from CS about this in the end?
I thought "submitted to the dev team" was the answer they gave.
Sorry for the necro but I was wondering if anyone had any additional insight on this one.
On what, exactly? 1/round meaning once per round and 1/turn meaning once per turn?

The original question was seemingly answered in post #6

EDIT: Nevermind, read over the entry, at 1/turn, it wouldn't be completely overpowered.  Also, given the wording, it could be argued.  Expect table variation.

You can deal your Warlock’s Curse’s extra damage to a creature affected by your Warlock’s Curse when an ally hits that creature, but still only once per round.