mm.. twe'lik

what are the best things about twe'liks.
sexy, headtails, and eaten by rancors dont count sorry.

sexy

Deceptive.

Generally speaking they are way down on my list of species I'd like to play.

NICE avatar, Kira!

It's funny, but is become sort of a running joke with my wife about the chicks with head-tails. Why ARE twi'lek (and togruta) kinda hot? Possibly because the females are typically played by an actress that's a babe to start with, but there seems to be more to it.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.

Are you asking about Twil’eks in general or Twil’eks from an RPG point of view?

Twil’eks in general are sexy (the females, anyway).

As for playing a Twil’ek, they would make good Scoundrels with their ability to reroll Deception checks. Combat Trickery and Dastardly Strike would make a deadly combo.

If you’re set on playing a Twil’ek force-user, take the Jedi Heritage species feat, which grants 2 extra force powers for each Force Training. That would help offset the -2 WIS penalty.

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

OR... you could just play something that sounds... I dunno... FUN!
Whither thou, role-playing?
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.

So in a game that's heavily focused on character builds and tactical combat, you should ignore them in your decision making processes for... what, exactly?
Not ignore them, but also not use them as a be-all end-all. If you won't play a certain species/race at a given class because of Numbers, then what's the point of the whole thing?
If you won't play a certain species/race at a given class because of Numbers

Who in this thread has said that?
Eeeh... that would be... YOU, pretty much, actually.

I think your bias is making you see things that are not there.

Please quote where I say anything like "I won't play twi'leks because of their stats".

So in a game that's heavily focused on character builds and tactical combat, you should ignore them in your decision making processes--

--completely.

Make what you want, how you want, and if someone tells you another way you could do it, take it under advisement.

I don't see how that's good advice.

Saga is a focused on tactical combat & character builds. Ignoring that will only lead to players making mechanically poor decisions that don't line up with their idea of what they want to play.

Whether you want to play an ace lightsaber duelist, a silver-tongued scoundrel, or a belligerent astromech droid, you need to consider the game mechanics in the choices you make. You're not just gonna luck into the right skills, feats, talents, etc that happen to mechanically represent your idea of your PC.

This isn't some stupid "rollplaying vs roleplaying" thing. It's not a binary choice between one or the other. You need to consider both for a fun game.

Blue skin?  I've always loved the multicolor pigment, but blue skin is AWESOME!!!
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

Saga is a focused on tactical combat & character builds. Ignoring that will only lead to players making mechanically poor decisions that don't line up with their idea of what they want to play.

Sadly this is why I am seriously considering giving up all forms of role playing games. The numbers trump the imagination.

Whether you want to play an ace lightsaber duelist, a silver-tongued scoundrel, or a belligerent astromech droid, you need to consider the game mechanics in the choices you make. You're not just gonna luck into the right skills, feats, talents, etc that happen to mechanically represent your idea of your PC.

That's just it. You are submitting your imagination to the mechanics, not the other way around.

This isn't some stupid "rollplaying vs roleplaying" thing. It's not a binary choice between one or the other. You need to consider both for a fun game.

Of course not, it's just that because of the mechanics being so overwhelming in the mentality of modern RPG players, there may not be a binary choice, but now there are WRONG choices because of the limitations of the mechanics, which really irks me.

Halber

Good points there, Halber. I'll go one further and confess that even hearing people refer to their character as a 'build' makes me wince. 

That's just it. You are submitting your imagination to the mechanics, not the other way around.

How would the "other way around" work, and work well? Please give an example.

If you're looking at the Twi'lek from a character building perspective they work best as Nobles or Scoundrels.  Those two classes are most likely to have Deception trained and thus get more from the Deceptive trait.  Those two classes also have most of the CHA based skills so that bonus is more useful and they have better WILL Defense scores to make up for the WIS penalty; the bonus to FORT also helps as neither class gets a bonus there.

Despite being best suited for Noble or Scoundrel a twi'lek doesn't have any flaws that make it a bad choice for the other three base classes.  Sure the WIS penalty hurts a little when it comes to Force Training but the CHA provides a better UtF modifier and you could play a "jedi" with few Force Powers but which still makes use of a high UtF modifier.  As a Soldier or Scout they have no drawbacks except the slightly lower WILL defense with Great Fortitude maybe being a boon to them.

I don't see how that's good advice.

"Make your character how you want, and if someone shows you another way you can do it, consider their advice" is bad advice?

In the past I've talked about character concepts on these boards. Such as a Scoundrel/Jedi that used Uncanny Luck+Recurring Success in eventual conjunction with Serenity. I had people say it was pointless. I had people say I was giving up too much of my character (5 levels) to the Scoundrel class to be an effective Jedi. I had people say the idea had merit but I should consider other ways (be they lower character cost or more recurring) to get natural 20s. Ultimately, I still have the concept written down somewhere and if someone were to randomly run a Saga game, I would still consider making that character.

The funny thing is, this is completely based off game mechanics and it still supports my advice: Make your character how you want, and if someone suggests otherwise, take it under advisement.

I'll go one further and confess that even hearing people refer to their character as a 'build' makes me wince. 

And a thousand times this.
So what exactly is this thread about?

FATE. At least, the aspects part of it. Right? ;)

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

So, you tell me you should ignore the mechanics, then base your idea of a character entirely on the mechanics, with no consideration for personality, background, etc.

That's... special.

FATE. At least, the aspects part of it. Right? ;)

Even with Aspects you're still acting within the confines of the mechanics.

People here are trying to paint that as badwrongfun.

I'll go one further and confess that even hearing people refer to their character as a 'build' makes me wince. 

And a thousand times this.

When it comes to "builds" I'm all for them BUT also realize that within a build there are multiple ways to actually roleplay that character.

Of course when I make "builds" I generally make them species neutral and also leave holes in places so that they can be customized to the character who is using it.

So, you tell me you should ignore the mechanics, then base your idea of a character entirely on the mechanics, with no consideration for personality, background, etc.

That's... special.

"Make your character how you want".

You want them to be fully optimized numbers and letters? Fine.
I want to make an inefficient "build" but like the way the character works? Fine.
Someone else wants to make a Twi-lek Jedi? Fine.
I also had an idea for a Herglic Jedi. Gonna tell me I'm wrong?

So yeah, if you feel you want to make a character that doesn't "play" well but is fun to play, you should absolutely and completely ignore the game mechanics.
When it comes to "builds" I'm all for them BUT also realize that within a build there are multiple ways to actually roleplay that character.

I should clarify that I don't fault the players for using the term 'build' - I fault the system for necessitating such a term. I'm not a Saga-hater, but it seems to me that, back in the day (Star Wars D6, D&D 2E), if you asked someone to describe their character, a big smile would come over their face, and they'd tell you what their character is like... I never see that happen anymore, and that sucks a lot of the fun out of it, for me. Frown

Getting back to the OP ...

According to the Clone Wars show, they have French accents.

Oh, and they come in many different colors. 

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

I should clarify that I don't fault the players for using the term 'build' - I fault the system for necessitating such a term. I'm not a Saga-hater, but it seems to me that, back in the day (Star Wars D6, D&D 2E), if you asked someone to describe their character, a big smile would come over their face, and they'd tell you what their character is like... I never see that happen anymore, and that sucks a lot of the fun out of it, for me. 

Maybe that's a result of the video game culture.

With d6 your character description may have nothing to do with game mechanics but the truth is that it often would relate to where points are assigned.  With no levels it is so much easier to describe a character in narative terms because mechanical terms are almost the same thing; you can't destribe a d6 character as being a 20th-level whatever.

With 2ed DnD if you just tell me your class I already know a LOT about your character.  After that the only things that really mattered were your magic item/equipment which often defined a 2ed character and to a lesser extent how they were played.

At least with SAGA there are usually a couple ways to build a character concept depending on how optimized it is or what nuances it should have.

I should clarify that I don't fault the players for using the term 'build' - I fault the system for necessitating such a term. I'm not a Saga-hater, but it seems to me that, back in the day (Star Wars D6, D&D 2E), if you asked someone to describe their character, a big smile would come over their face, and they'd tell you what their character is like... I never see that happen anymore, and that sucks a lot of the fun out of it, for me. Frown

I'm sorry to hear that! But I can tell you that I would not do that. If I was to tell you about my last D&D 3.5 PC I would not tell you what class he was, I would tell you that he was a bit like Strider, but more dark and with a twisted sense of humor. He was not a Ranger, even though he could as well have been one. He would not get involved before assessing the situation at hand. Even though he never did anything evil, everyone thought about him as the Belkar of the group. He even learned a vile spell to use in a tight spot, not that he ever did. He had one priced possession, his collapsible-mithril-grappling-hook with a long elven rope. Not that he used it to break in, even though he could have. If he didn't find a new way of using it in an encounter or adventure of his, he was not happy.
On the first encounter everyone was fighting the thugs that came to the Inn making trouble. He remained sitting at the end of the bar desk eating grilled chicken! That is until he saw an opening and casually threw a dagger in the back of an enraged ogre. He was getting a bit too close for comfort. Then back to eating chicken. With the help of a spell the dagger almost killed the Ogre, and he was soon dealt with by the others.
While the fight was raging 4 kobolds was sneaking in the through the back door, clearly up to no good. He remained at the desk eating until they started up the stairs. With a spell he put 3 of them to sleep, and then rushed after the last one. He caught up to the last kobold as he sunk his poisoned dagger into a sleeping lady upstairs. He quickly dispensed of the last kobold. But as there was nothing for him to do about poisons, he strolled downstairs still holding a half eaten chicken leg in one hand. Absentmindedly saying that they better get a healer or a priest and do something about the poisoned lady. Then he went back to eating chicken!
So it's not like he was not a hero, he just would not take on any old crazy quest trusted his way. I could go on describing him all night, but i need some sleep now.

20801.jpg

I should clarify that I don't fault the players for using the term 'build' - I fault the system for necessitating such a term.

Yeah, I kinda feel guilty sometimes for using multiple books. And I only use about half of them. But even with just half the available stuff for "builds" it's still a different feel to it than if you're just using one or two books, never mind a whole different system. And my characters are probably way under-optimized compared to average.

Also, never mind the aesthetics of it, I'm terrible about continually tinkering with a build, never being satisfied with the end result. I think I need Jedi counselling.
Children believe what we tell them, they have complete faith in us. I ask of you a little of this childlike simplicity, and to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words: "A long time ago...." (Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) Winner of You Build the Character #12, YbtC #22, YbtC #24, YbtC #28 and YbtC #35 Winner of You Make the... Contest #8
With 2ed DnD if you just tell me your class I already know a LOT about your character.  After that the only things that really mattered were your magic item/equipment which often defined a 2ed character and to a lesser extent how they were played.

See, that's the exact opposite of my experience! If I tell you my character is a Thief, do you already know all you need to know about her? That's like saying you already know everything about every Prep, Jock, Headbanger, Brain, and Freak you come across at school... did The Breakfast Club teach us nothing??? Laughing

See, that's the exact opposite of my experience! If I tell you my character is a Thief, do you already know all you need to know about her? That's like saying you already know everything about every Prep, Jock, Headbanger, Brain, and Freak you come across at school... did The Breakfast Club teach us nothing??? 

I would say yes, I really do. I like to know how my allies opperate and what mechanics they use so I can synergise with them, at least as the game continues. I like it when other players or the GM says, "You guys make a good team."

Edit: On topic: I like Twi'lecks and the women are sexy. Some of the men are handsom too, like Shado Vao and Tott Doneeta.

I've made at least one Twi'leck with every class and a couple of combo ones. They really don't suck at anything, they just aren't as awesome at some things.

That's probably because Saga GM's are making their campaigns too focused on combat. Which is understandable, since there is a lot of emphasis on combat in Saga.

GM's need to get back to the old-school Gm'ing, where you could go a long time without needing to roll too many dice.

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

HA!!
With all respect (and I mean that sincerely, no malice intended), REAL "old-school GMing" was like, "okay, you're standing at the door to the dungeon" followed shortly by an inordinate amount of choppin, dicin' and blastin' until all the loot was gone. Real role-playing didn't start to occur for most players until the slashing got a little bit repetitive & dull.

In that sense, I think the inevitable pendulum has swung, and is on the return trip; players got way into role-playing, to the point where IT became dull, and now it's gone back more to hackin' & blastin.'
I suppose the big challenge will be to create a rules-set that challenges & rewards both. Not for WotC, of course; that opportunity is expended. Next it'll be up to Fantasy Flight Games to see if they can create the feel, create the balance.

HA!!
With all respect (and I mean that sincerely, no malice intended), REAL "old-school GMing" was like, "okay, you're standing at the door to the dungeon" followed shortly by an inordinate amount of choppin, dicin' and blastin' until all the loot was gone. Real role-playing didn't start to occur for most players until the slashing got a little bit repetitive & dull.

I once had a GM start a game as follows:

GM: "You guys are all at a bar and a guy walks in and says 'I need some guys for this thing.' and you say 'Hey, we're some guys!'".

HA!!

I once had a GM start a game as follows:

GM: "You guys are all at a bar and a guy walks in and says 'I need some guys for this thing.' and you say 'Hey, we're some guys!'".

Were they Twilek guys? 

Di your lekku rise and signal interest?  :D
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want
Hahaha, I'm having a visual of this twi'lek with his lekku perking up and making a quizzical grunting sound like Scooby-Doo!
so twileks...
are sexy (except for the fat one)
come in multialbe colors
have headtails,
headtails b perky
are deceptive
are french
are strong in the force
make people have philosophical debates about rpgs

miss anything?

miss anything?

Maybe Twi'leks are allergic to iodine...
Children believe what we tell them, they have complete faith in us. I ask of you a little of this childlike simplicity, and to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words: "A long time ago...." (Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) Winner of You Build the Character #12, YbtC #22, YbtC #24, YbtC #28 and YbtC #35 Winner of You Make the... Contest #8

See, that's the exact opposite of my experience! If I tell you my character is a Thief, do you already know all you need to know about her? That's like saying you already know everything about every Prep, Jock, Headbanger, Brain, and Freak you come across at school... did The Breakfast Club teach us nothing??? 

I would say yes, I really do. I like to know how my allies opperate and what mechanics they use so I can synergise with them, at least as the game continues. I like it when other players or the GM says, "You guys make a good team."

Edit: On topic: I like Twi'lecks and the women are sexy. Some of the men are handsom too, like Shado Vao and Tott Doneeta.

I've made at least one Twi'leck with every class and a couple of combo ones. They really don't suck at anything, they just aren't as awesome at some things.

Just as a reply to the idea that somehow 2nd ed D&D had wonderful imagination and was great for "role" playing, I imagined an awesome pirate, with a pirate-y sword, and swashing buckles, acrobatically leaping around the battlefield.

So in our first fight, I described my aerobatic attack, the DM gave me a -6 to my d20 roll to hit THAC0, due to the difficulty of my crazy acrobatic "stunt" and when I rolled poorly, had me fall on my ass, break a table, and gave my opponent a +4 bonus to hit me, since I'd dropped my sword, and was tangled up in a table.

From there, every time I described my Errol Flynn type combat, I got a penalty to hit, and got trashed, stopped describing it and played it boring.

Nowadays, if I want to be Acrobatic, I take the Acrobatic skill, mobile combatant, running attack, move by attack, any number of swash buckle-y feats and talents, and get to live out my pirate fantasies without being at the whims of a DM.

I consider the new reality to be giving free reign to my imagination, and can build my character in any way I like, to fit my imagined concept.

YMMV