Card questions and battle scenarios.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Good morning.
This morning's game play, has resulted in a couple of questions, that I'd like help with.

1) Palladium Myr only produces colourless Mana (not my right to select 2 specific colour mana), right?

2) War Report states "You gain life equal to the number of creatures on the battlefield plus the number of artifacts on the battlefield." As it specifies creatures PLUS artifacts, does that mean that a card on the battlefield that is an "Artifact Creature" would cause you to gain 2 life (after all, an Artifact Creature is subject to spells cast AGAINST both creatures and artifcats).

3) Maul Splicer states "When Maul Splicer enters the battlefield, put two 3/3 colorless Golem artifact creature tokens onto the battlefield." Do these 2 artifact creature tokens suffer from "casting sickness", as the Maul Splicer does?

4) Blood Ogre with Bloodthirst 1(+1/+1) and First Strike attacks Maul Splicer (1/1) and Precursor Golem (3/3) both block. How does the battle resolve? Presumably it the outcome is different depending on whether the attacker selects to attack mail splicer first, as opposed to attacking the precursor golem first.

5) A Golem artifact creature token (3/3) and First Strike attacks. The defending player selects to block with Crumbling Colossus how does the battle resolve? Does the Trample effect take place when the Colossus is defending?  Is the Colossus sacrificed for defending (as it can retaliate to the initial attack)?

Thanks.
Good morning.
This morning's game play, has resulted in a couple of questions, that I'd like help with.

1) Palladium Myr only produces colourless Mana (not my right to select 2 specific colour mana), right?

Correct. You do not get to create mana of any color, the mana is colorless.

2) War Report states "You gain life equal to the number of creatures on the battlefield plus the number of artifacts on the battlefield." As it specifies creatures PLUS artifacts, does that mean that a card on the battlefield that is an "Artifact Creature" would cause you to gain 2 life (after all, an Artifact Creature is subject to spells cast AGAINST both creatures and artifcats).

Yes. Count the number of creatures on the battlefield, then count the number of artifacts, the total is how much life is gained. An artifact creature does give 2 life.

3) Maul Splicer states "When Maul Splicer enters the battlefield, put two 3/3 colorless Golem artifact creature tokens onto the battlefield." Do these 2 artifact creature tokens suffer from "casting sickness", as the Maul Splicer does?

It is informally termed "summoning sickness" and yes. Any creature, whether represented by a card or a token, is subject to summoning sickness if you have not controlled it continously since the start of your most recent turn.

4) Blood Ogre with Bloodthirst 1(+1/+1) and First Strike attacks Maul Splicer (1/1) and Precursor Golem (3/3) both block. How does the battle resolve? Presumably it the outcome is different depending on whether the attacker selects to attack mail splicer first, as opposed to attacking the precursor golem first.

If he assigns the blocking order as Splicer>Precursor, most likely the player will assign 1 to the splicer, and 2 to the golem [he could technically assign it all to the splicer]. However then the golem will kill the ogre in the normal combat damage step. Most likely he will assign it Precursor>Splicer and once he kills the golem, then the splicer will only deal 1 damage to the ogre, which will live.

5) A Golem artifact creature token (3/3) and First Strike attacks. The defending player selects to block with Crumbling Colossus how does the battle resolve? Does the Trample effect take place when the Colossus is defending?

No. Trample only interacts when a creature is attacking and has trample [allows excess damage to be assigned to the defending player].

Is the Colossus sacrificed for defending (as it can retaliate to the initial attack)?

No, it did was not declared as an attacker, and will not be sacrificed.

Level 1 Judge. Feel free to call me out on any errors. I'm only human, and am working to improve.
1. That's correct. If a card taps for mana and doesn't use the specific mana symbols (), it taps for colorless like it says. So it can be used to pay for the in Blade Splicer's mana cost, but not for the .

2. Basically, the effect counts two different sets - the number of creatures on the battlefield, and the number of artifacts on the battlefield. An artifact creature will be counter on both these sets, so yes, an artifact creature will basically give you 2 life towards War Report.

3. Yes - all creatures suffer from summoning sickness (unless they have haste). Being a token or nontoken creature is irrelevant.\

4. When you have multiple blockers for an attacking creature, the attacker orders those blockers during the special action of the declare blockers step. As such, you can order it so that the Precursor Golem takes damage first, then the Maul Splicer if any damage remains. If you order it in this way, the Blood Ogre will deal 3 damage to the Precursor Golem in the first strike damage step, killing it. The Maul Splicer will deal 1 damage to the Blood Ogre in the normal damage step, but this won't be enough damage to kill it.

If you order it the other way around, then you'll kill the Maul Splicer but not the Precursor Golem, and the Precursor Golem will still be around to kill the Blood Ogre.

5. Trample only matters if a creature is attacking; trample on a defending creature is irrelevant. Its triggered ability only cares about when it attacks, not when it is declared as a defender. The battle is likely to resolve with the 3/3 dying, and the Crumbling Colossus staying alive with 3 damage marked on it until end of turn.

Hope that helped! 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
1.  Correct.  (2) on a card means 2 colorless mana.  If you could make mana of any color, the card would say so (Alloy Myr, for example).

2.  War Report counts the number of creatures on the battlefield,  as well as the number of artifacts on the battlefield.  An Artifact Creature is both an artifact and a creature, and as such is included in the count for each. 

3.  Every creature is "summoning sick" unless it has haste, or you've controlled it continuously since the start of your most recent turn.  So, yes, the Golem tokens generated by Maul Splicer will indeed be subject to "summoning sickness".

4.  Blood Ogre deals its combat damage in the first combat damage step, since it has first strike.  At this point, Blood Ogre's controller can choose to assign its combat damage (3 points of it,  since I'm assuming it has a +1/+1 counter on it via Bloodthirst) to both Maul splicer and Precursor Golem.  However, 3 damage is only enough to assign lethal damage to either Maul Splicer or Precursor Golem, not both -- Blood Ogre would need 4 power to do that. 

Edit - Bah, my answer to this question isn't all that comprehensive: Jason and Allanen both did a better job of explaining it to ya.  :D

5.  A blocking creature with trample never gets to assign any damage to the attacking player -- trample only matters on an attacking creature.

Crumbling Colossus is only sacrificed by its own ability when it attacks.  This means "declared as an attacker", which was certainly not the case here.

Edit - Heh, figured I'd be beaten to the punch, given how long I was taking.
Thanks guys, all questions answered, and all answers understood. :-)

Have a great weekend.

Game on!
Sign In to post comments