Polymorph??

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am a longtime D&D enthusiast but new to 4E.  How does one polymorph in the current game?  Specifically, polymorph other?
I am a longtime D&D enthusiast but new to 4E.  How does one polymorph in the current game?  Specifically, polymorph other?

They do not.

The Warden has some alteration powers that buff themselves. The Druid turns into an animal and eats face. That's about it.
The Druid does get Baleful Polymorph as a daily 15.  There are a couple of powers from the Red Box that do similar things.  But Polymorph attacks are pretty rare.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The only power that allows you to polymorph others that I can find right now is Animal Shapes (Druid 10) but there may be others.  Almost all polymorph powers in 4e are Personal powers though.  I see 162 powers listed that have the Polymorph keyword but Wardens seem to get more of them of anyone - I may be wrong on that though. 

Polymorph spells were one of the most frequently abused game elements in 3E and previous versions of D&D.  There are no more "polymorph and hit the win button" style powers in 4E anymore though.  Most of the polymorph powers now just give you one special attack and perhaps some damage resistance of some sort and occasionally a special movement mode which prevents casters from becoming godly and rendering the rest of the party useless.  I don't know of any polymorph powers that allow you to pick whatever form you want anymore - they're all very explicitly defined in that almost all of them only give you one thing you can transform into with certain specific detailed advantages and nothing else.  Of course, as with all 4e powers you can refluff the descriptive text to make yourself take on any form you want because the descriptive text doesn't affect the rules of what actually happens.

None of this is a bad thing though since they're (almost) all still useful and there is almost no way to creatively interpret the description text to go beyond the bounds of what is appropriate for your level.

I'm looking at you, 3E Druids and Wizards.  Your munchkin days are over.  ;)

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I think there's a monster which does this, Human Transmuter, I think?  You could look at how its power works and adapt.
Playing Scales of War

Rogue.jpg

The wizard has a level 1 daily called Slimy Transmutation that turns a creature into a toad. Druids have a power called Baleful Polymorph that does the same thing but at a higher level. Warlocks can turn their allies into demons for a short time. There might be a couple of others floating around out there.
The rules. for polymorph is the same that fot stance?.. i cant faund it in rulebook?
No (though, they are similar) - They can be found on page 118 of the Rules Compendium.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
can you link me to the Rules compendium?
Or can you past this passage prom Rules compendium.. i have only Players handbook:_(
No; it's several paragraphs long.

You should be able to look it up in the online compendium: www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/gl...
thy :-)) now it is all clear :-)