determining creature's P/T after several spells

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
My wife was attacking with a Giant Spider equipped with 2 Greatsword's, making it an 8/4.

I played Diminish, then I played Barbed Lightning.

She responded with Titanic Growth.

We were trying to figure out how to resolve this. Is this correct:

The Titanic Growth resolves 1st, making it a 12/8, then Barbed lightning deals 3 damage to it, then it becomes a 1/1 equipped with the 2 Greatswords making it a 7/1, so it deals 7 damage?

Thanks!

Check out my FREE Firefox addon: Send To Gatherer

It will send any text you highlight on any Web page to the Gatherer and open it in a popup over the current page, a new tab, or new window.

My favorite rule: 101.2

My wife was attacking with a Giant Spider equipped with 2 Great Sword's, making it an 8/4.

I played Diminish, then I played Barbed Lightning.

She responded with Titanic Growth.

We were trying to figure out how to resolve this. Is this correct:

The Titanic Growth resolves 1st, making it a 12/8, then Barbed lightning deals 3 damage to it, then it becomes a 1/1 equipped with the 2 Great Swords making it a 7/1, so it deals 7 damage?

Thanks!

The Spider is 11/5 with 3 damage on it.

Even thought the Titanic Growth resolved first, it still applies after the Diminish, because effects that change P/T always apply after effects that set the P/T to a specific number.

So the Spider starts as a 1/1 due to Diminish, then you apply the two Greatswords and the Titanic Growth, bringing it to 11/5.

You assume the same thing that I did before reading this nice article by Justin Turner, a DCI judge 2, in which "Interaction of Continuous Effects" is well explained.

"The Seven-layer cake"

www.gatheringmagic.com/the-seven-layer-c... 
Thank you!

It will send any text you highlight on any Web page to the Gatherer and open it in a popup over the current page, a new tab, or new window.

If I played Barbed Lightning on the Giant Spider first and then responded to Barbed Lightning with Diminish, and then she responded with Titanic Growth the Giant Spider would've died, right?

no, in this case the order is irrelevant

the only relevant order is that if you cast Barbed Lightning in response to Titanic Growth if it is already affected by Diminish
that's about the only scenario with those spells in which the spider would die.
proud member of the 2011 community team
Sign In to post comments