An Updated Set of Rare Lands V. 1.1

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yesterday I posted a set of way too powerful Rare lands. After getting valuable feedback, this is the second, toned-down version of the lands. Any feedback will once again be very appreciated!

Glass Desert
Land -- Rare

Glass Desert enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever damage is dealt to you, sacrifice Glass Desert.
: Add or to your mana pool.

*The idea of this land is to produce a lot of mana, but to be easily destroyed.

Sacred Garden*
Land -- Rare

Sacred Garden enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever Sacred Garden enters the battlefield, you may choose one: pay and put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token on the battlefield, or pay and gain 2 life.**

*A more straightforward type of dual land.
** The prices of the "upon entering" bonuses increased by 1 mana due to valuable feedback. Thanks!

Wartime Stash*
Land -- Rare

Wartime Stash enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add to your mana pool.
: Put a storage counter on Wartime Stash.
, remove any number of storage counters from Wartime Stash: Add as many to your mana pool as storage counters removed in this way.

*I like storage lands. You choose not to use its mana now, but later.

Altar of the Beast*
Land -- Rare

At the beginning of your pre-combat main phase you may sacrifice a permanent you control. If you do, add mana to your mana pool equal to the number and type of colored symbols in the cost of the sacrificed permanent. (For example, sacrificing a permanent with a cost of produces . Sacrificing permanent with a cost of produces no mana.)
If you choose not to sacrifice a permanent, add or to your mana pool and sacrifice Altar of the Beast.

*This land can produce tons of mana, but comes with the heavy drawback that requires you to sacrifice permanents or lose it.

Quicksand Swamp*
Land -- Rare

Quicksand Swamp enters the battlefield tapped.
, Exile a card from your hand: If the discarded card is a creature card, add to your mana pool. If it is not, add to your mana pool.**

*Would you be willing to sacrifice your long-term potential for a short burst of mana?
** Changed from ", discard a card from your hand" due to valuable feedback. Thanks!

Glass Desert
Land -- Rare

Glass Desert enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever damage is dealt to you, sacrifice Glass Desert.

Sacred Garden
Land -- Rare

Sacred Garden enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever Sacred Garden enters the battlefield, choose one: pay and put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token on the battlefield, or gain 1 life.

Wartime Stash
Land -- Rare

Wartime Stash enters the battlefield tapped with no counters.
: Add to your mana pool.
: Put a storage counter on Wartime Stash.
, remove any number of storage counters from Wartime Stash: Add as many to your mana pool as storage counters removed in this way.

Altar of the Beast
Land -- Rare

At the beginning of your pre-combat main phase you may sacrifice a permanent you control. If you do, add mana to your mana pool equal to the number and type of colored symbols in the cost of the sacrificed permanent. (For example, sacrificing a permanent with a cost of produces . Sacrificing permanent with a cost of produces no mana.)
If you choose not to sacrifice a permanent, add or to your mana pool and sacrifice Altar of the Beast.

Quicksand Swamp
Land -- Rare

Quicksand Swamp enters the battlefield tapped.
, Discard a card from your hand: If the discarded card is a creature card, add to your mana pool. If it is not, add to your mana pool.
, Sacrifice Quicksand Swamp: Add or to your mana pool.
Glass desert - O.o yay good drawback.

Sacred Garden - Good land but in my opinion just barely under broken. O.o

Wartime Stash - good land is good.

Altar of the Beast - Good card with great ramp with a decent drawback to it. The new fact it only accepts color'd mana brings it to the level of being rare and not broken in my opinion.

Quicksand Swamp - Good card... sadly Extremely Abuseable... How?? turn one drop this land, turn two swamp, untap Quicksand then use it to discard , dark ritual with extra swamp and then Rise From The Grave back into play... in basic words in a black deck this is broken O.O,
Glass desert is too swingy. It's drawback is crippling. A single hornet sting can send you back 1+ lands. but when it works it work insanely well.

Sacred garden is strictly better than the refuge cycle. good concept, but the refuge cycle wasn't that bad.

wartime stash is pretty good. It kind of reminds me of Coalition Relic... Hell coalition relic lands would be pretty camn awesome. CIPT, taps for eiother color but it can tap to double for next turn.

Altar of the beast is pretty bad. Elemental Resonance was not a very good card and this card isn't much better seeing it requires you to sacrifice permanents every turn. Not only this but very color heavy permanents. It doesn't work well outside of very specific decks (Like reanimator and um...).

Quicksand swamp is broken. Dredge and reanimator strategies would love it.

In general, lands that tap for for than one mana are tough to design.

As for some balance suggestions.

Sacred garden could probably require a bit more mana (maybe 2 for the saproling and 1 for the life and up the lifegain to 2?)
Quicksand swamp requiring exile instead of discard is a quick fix, that changes the power level drastically.
IMAGE(http://kherkeep.com/images/smilies/plowbeast.png)Why can't everyone see the inherent goodness in destruction? Or the evil in creation? A forest cannot live without the nutrients provided by the destructive force of a forest fire. And if I am wrong, then why is lifeblood of creation - water - the most destructive force on the planet? 701.4. Cast
Thanks, guys! Balancing weird lands without breaking them is very hard, but also very fun. I'm trying to create cards that are more than just lands, but to add new dimensions and choices to your game. This is fairly obvious in the case of Glass Desert - it's a card that requires careful timing to play. The same applies for Altar of the Beast - it definitely won't make every deck, but played in the right circumstances I think will be a game-changer. It might be especially valuable for color-heavy mono-color decks. You always have the option to stop sacrificing permanents when the situation dictates it.

I didn't thought of the Dredge and Reanimator in the case of the Quicksand Swamp. Yeah, I'll change "discard" to "exile" right away. I'll also increase the costs of Sacred Garden's bonuses.

Please, keep the feedback coming!
Wartime Stash doesn't need the "enters the battlefield with no counters" line of text.  Look at Dreadship Reef.
Wartime Stash doesn't need the "enters the battlefield with no counters" line of text.  Look at Dreadship Reef.

Thanks! Fixed!
Sign In to post comments