08/15/2011 Draft Simulator

58 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Booster Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I wonder if i made good selects on my draft.. could i make something some what competitive out of these selections..:
Round 1:
Garruk, Primal Hunter
Titanic Growth
Greater Basilisk
Elixir of Immortality
Autumn's Veil
Garruk's Companion
Divine Favor
Fog
Sacred Wolf
Brindle Boar
Llanowar Elves
Demystify
Personal Sanctuary
Angel's Feather
Mountain

Round 2:
Armored Warhorse
Alabaster Mage
Stave Off
Rampant Growth
Brindle Boar
Trollhide
Pride Guardian
Bountiful Harvest
Sacred Wolf
Stave Off
Firebreathing
Lifelink
Bountiful Harvest
Angel's Mercy
Forest

Round 3:
Llanowar Elves
Gladecover Scout
Rites of Flourishing
Brindle Boar
Lifelink
Bountiful Harvest
Griffin Rider
Fog
Runeclaw Bear
Merfolk Mesmerist
Reclaim
Doubling Chant
Plummet
Sundial of the Infinite
Swamp

I have never did a draft or anything and i found this to be fun... and i know its just a simulator.. thanks.. for any imput.
Round 1:
Garruk, Primal Hunter
Serra Angel
Llanowar Elves
Rampant Growth
Stonehorn Dignitary
Garruk's Companion
Alabaster Mage
Naturalize
Griffin Sentinel
Titanic Growth
Timely Reinforcements
Circle of Flame
Goblin Tunneler
Angel's Feather
Mountain

Round 2:
Timely Reinforcements
Pacifism
Stormfront Pegasus
Rampant Growth
Trollhide
Giant Spider
Mighty Leap
Plummet
Stonehorn Dignitary
Stave Off
Stave Off
Lifelink
Bountiful Harvest
Angel's Mercy
Forest

Round 3:
Greatsword
Archon of Justice
Chandra's Outrage
Peregrine Griffin
Crown of Empires
Griffin Sentinel
Rampant Growth
Stonehorn Dignitary
Runeclaw Bear
Brink of Disaster
Reclaim
Brindle Boar
Naturalize
Swamp
Swamp

Starting with Garruk was a no brainer. Followed by the best creature in pack 2. Then I grabbed Llanowar elves to make sure I could cast that Garruk before being in a horrible board position. Kept that plan going with rampant growth. More mana, more chances of drawing spells.

The deck has 3 Stonehorn dignitary and 2 timely reinforcements. So it would stand up to bloodlust nicely. I could even splash circle of flame if I felt like it. Archon of Justice was a no brainer as well, and I made sure to pick greatsword for my griffins or for the 1/1 tokens to carry. Stave off can protect Serra, or archon of Justice for some great bluffs. Alabaster mage is just gravy, but it gives the deck even more staying power.

@ Gothpojken. You usually want to stick to 1 or 2 colors. otherwise, you'll get color screwed and be unable to cast your spells.

Deck.

Creatures  14

Llanowar elves 
Serra angel
3x Stonehorn dignitary
Alabaster mage
garruk's companion
2x Griffin sentinel
Runeclaw bear
Archon of justice
Stormfront pegasus
Giant spider
peregrine griffin

instant/sorcery 7

Naturalise
3x Rampant growth
Stave off
2x timely reinforcements 

Artifact/enchantment

Greatsword
Crown of empires 
Trollhide 

9 forest
7 plains 
Testing this before I play my first real draft game... so is anyone *not* going to pick Garruk first up?  hehe

After the first round I was still uncertain of my 2nd colour, it was a close call between white for cheap cards, but then the Goblin Chieftain turned up, and while I didn't think I would be able to make great use of him I was certain some of the other players would.

In the end I was fairly happy with the choices, but I'm still an amateur

Round 1:Garruk, Primal HunterTitanic GrowthGreater BasiliskSacred WolfReclaimGarruk's CompanionLurking CrocodileNaturalizeSacred WolfBrindle BoarLlanowar ElvesDemystifyGoblin TunnelerAngel's FeatherMountain

Round 2:Goblin ChieftainIncinerateLurking CrocodileGarruk's CompanionAct of TreasonRootbound CragGoblin PikerPlummetSacred WolfLava AxeFirebreathingWurm's ToothBountiful HarvestForestForest

Round 3:Volcanic DragonFireballRites of FlourishingDoubling ChantGarruk's HordeGoblin ArsonistCrimson MageGoblin TunnelerLlanowar ElvesGladecover ScoutReclaimBrindle BoarNaturalizeBountiful HarvestSwamp

EDIT: I tried it again seeing how strong you could make it not choosing Garruk/green ... I went black and red, but due to the number of cards still had to pick a several of a third colour.  Seems obvious that you have to play green with this draw. 
The end is always nigh.

Round 1:
Sphinx of Uthuun
Day of Judgment
Doom Blade
Scepter of Empires
Stormblood Berserker
Devouring Swarm
Goblin Arsonist
Disentomb
Manic Vandal
Tormented Soul
Fiery Hellhound
Goblin Tunneler
Wall of Torches
Runeclaw Bear
Forest

Round 2:
Blood Seeker
Act of Treason
Zombie Goliath
Goblin Arsonist
Goblin Fireslinger
Incinerate
Slaughter Cry
Warpath Ghoul
Goblin Piker
Tormented Soul
Pride Guardian
Wurm's Tooth
Flight
Lifelink
Forest

Round 3:
Cemetery Reaper
Doom Blade
Consume Spirit
Lava Axe
Reassembling Skeleton
Volcanic Dragon
Child of Night
Blood Ogre
Distress
Tormented Soul
Brink of Disaster
Phantasmal Bear
Firebreathing
Bountiful Harvest
Mountain

Probably should have gone with gravedigger in Pack 2 Pick 3. I think the Sphinx and DOJ were the best cards in the first two packs, but after seeing another doom blade and so much good red, I had to switch things up. I was glad i took devouring swarm in the second pack when i saw reassembling skeleton in the third. That is a sweet combo.  

Does anyone else notice a disproportionate amount of Planeswalkers/other mythics in the cpu decks on a regular basis? There was a Chandra, Gideon, and Sorin in this pod...    

How are we not suppose to pick the Sphinx Pack one pick one? If you choose him I can't and wouldn't fault anyone for doing so. I even like it as a singleton for standard. However, when I look at the lack of white in the pack with a powerful card like the Lawkeeper it gives me a pretty oppertunistic area to force white. I end up taking a slew of weaker cards in pack one to force the white. Towards the end of pack one I grab a few goblins (cause there's nothing really left ot pick) and a goblin grenade.

Pack two I take the rare, and start to flesh out the curve with red and white. I get the deciding factor on pick three, the red removal spell? or the grand abolisher. in real life we know the abolisher is still valued $ wise, but I go for the removal and the computer lets the abolisher wheel back to me. We pass on the second warsurge.

It doesn't really look like a deck until we get the fireball out of pack three and then it starts to feel REAL good when we get the 7th pick pacificism. This pairs well with volcanic dragon and our curve is complete. I'd feel okay trying to outrace the Sphinx if it comes down to it now. And barring any hexproof creatures I'd feel okay with the removal we have for blue and white.

The only card it feels like i'd have missed from the white-red draft here is the griffin rider, cause i'm rollin with more then enough support cards to have made it a beefy 4/4 flyer.
Round 1:
Sphinx of Uthuun
Doom Blade
Doom Blade
Blood Ogre
Sutured Ghoul
Ponder
Alluring Siren
Disentomb
Kite Shield
Tormented Soul
Goblin Grenade
Goblin Tunneler
Wall of Torches
Runeclaw Bear
Forest

Round 2:
Diabolic Tutor
Aether Adept
Rune-Scarred Demon
Phantasmal Image
Amphin Cutthroat
Divination
Coral Merfolk
Turn to Frog
Merfolk Mesmerist
Diabolic Tutor
Zombie Goliath
Goblin Tunneler
Flight
Lifelink
Forest

Round 3:
Cemetery Reaper
Doom Blade
Consume Spirit
Ice Cage
Reassembling Skeleton
Aven Fleetwing
Child of Night
Coral Merfolk
Distress
Tormented Soul
Divine Favor
Stave Off
Firebreathing
Bountiful Harvest
Mountain

I didn't pay too much attention during this draft, as I am tired, but I am pretty happy with the way it turned out for me.  Came out with a ton of doom blades and some nice top end kill conditions in the demon and sphinx.  I was a little worried about the curve, as I don't think I have many guys, but I'm sure the removal package could keep me going for a while.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I'm a pretty big fan of Blue control so I was happy to nab both of the Mana Leaks, Cancel and Turn into Frog available in the draft. Along with Aether Adept and Ponder they all have super strong effects for common cards.

I also feel that the Illusion type cards are very good value-for-mana, and their drawback doesn't put me off too much in a draft like this. I didn't see too many targeted spells available, and the ones that are (like Doom Blade or Goblin Grenade) would kill your Illusion anyway. Phantasmal Bear, Image and Dragon were good to pick up.

And yeah, the mythic rare cards available in these online drafts are tremendously unrealistic. You get a mythic rare in about 1 out of 8 boosters... Don't put 3 Planeswalkers in one booster draft :/  There should be a reality-check on the cards presented...

Round 1:
Sphinx of Uthuun
Aether Adept
Merfolk Looter
Lure
Mana Leak
Runeclaw Bear
Alluring Siren
Garruk's Companion
Greater Basilisk
Amphin Cutthroat
Runeclaw Bear
Fog
Wall of Torches
Manic Vandal
Forest

Round 2:
Levitation
Phantasmal Bear
Jade Mage
Phantasmal Image
Naturalize
Divination
Time Reversal
Turn to Frog
Hunter's Insight
Flashfreeze
Gladecover Scout
Kraken's Eye
Flight
Lifelink
Forest

Round 3:
Brindle Boar
Turn to Frog
Reclaim
Phantasmal Bear
Mana Leak
Giant Spider
Phantasmal Dragon
Skywinder Drake
Arachnus Web
Cancel
Divine Favor
Gladecover Scout
Llanowar Elves
Bountiful Harvest
Mountain

Round 1:

Sphinx of Uthuun

Day of Judgment

Shock

Scepter of Empires

Stormblood Berserker

Devouring Swarm

Goblin Arsonist

Disentomb

Manic Vandal

Goblin Grenade

Goblin Grenade

Goblin Tunneler

Firebreathing

Runeclaw Bear

Forest

Round 2:

Blood Seeker

Crown of Empires

Chandra's Outrage

Goblin Arsonist

Tormented Soul

Incinerate

Slaughter Cry

Manic Vandal

Goblin Piker

Tormented Soul

Merfolk Mesmerist

Gladecover Scout

Naturalize

Lifelink

Forest

Round 3:

Volcanic Dragon

Fireball

Goblin Bangchuckers

Goblin Arsonist

Goblin Fireslinger

Volcanic Dragon

Fiery Hellhound

Disentomb

Goblin Bangchuckers

Reverberate

Taste of Blood

Stave Off

Firebreathing

Bountiful Harvest

Mountain

Lands

17 Mountains

Creatures 14

1 Fiery Hellhound

3 Goblin Arsonists

2 Goblin Bangchuckers

1 Goblin Fireslinger

1 Goblin Piker

1 Goblin Tunneler

2 Magic Vandal

1 Stormblood Berserker

2 Volcanic Dragon

Spells 9

1 Chandra’s Outrage

1 Crown of Empires

1 Fireball

2 Goblin Grenades

1 Incinerate

1 Reverberate

1 Shock

1 Scepter of Empires

Ended up mono red, after a blue and white pick. 

This was a challenging draft because of all your options in the first 4 turns.

Partial Walkthrough

P1P1:

sphinx of uthuun
Gideon's Lawkeeper
arbalest elite
gravedigger
bloodrage vampire
stampeding rhino

are all fine choices. I've listed them in order of immediate preference. In those instances I tend to ask if each player casts the respective card, who wins? In many respects, its the lawkeeper, since he can (by himself) keep all the others locked down, and of course he hits the table 6 turns (at least) before the sphinx.

However, the sphinx unanswered wins games by itself. lawkeeper wins games with another card. Plus, sphinx is more durable...

removal spells

wring flesh - kills GL
pacifism - stops SoU
doom blade - kills both
arachnus web - stops GL
fireball - kills both, but might have to wait a turn for SoU
turn to frog - likely to catch SoU only
shock - kills GL
combust - kills GL
brink of disaster - stops both
chandra's outrage - kills GL
crown of empires - stops SoU, limited effect on GL
incinerate - kills GL
plummet - kills the sphinx
stingerfling spider - kills the sphinx

Even if I take one of the white spells, I'm passing a white spell, so my left will be in white. I'm not passing any must-have blue, so I have that in its favour.

I take the sphinx.

P1P2:

Oh boy. Another set of great cards:

Merfolk looter
Doom blade
Day of Judgment
shock
aether adept
stampeding rhino

If I take DoJ, I might be in a fight for good white spells. I don't expect to get the staple removal for white, pacifism. However DoJ is exactly the sort of spell you want in a blue deck - one which resets the board against early aggro.

Merfolk looter however is extremely strong when digging for a killer spell like the sphinx, or the mana to cast it.

Doom blade is a great removal spell, but I will be passing good blue to get into black. That said, looter by itself isn't a good enough reason to be in blue. Its the sort of card you take when you already have a mind control.

In the end, I reason that I would not want to board wipe just because my opponent plays a lawkeeper, so it is between doom blade and looter. If my opponent has a doom blade, they are likely to play it on the looter anyway, so I take the looter.

P1P3

Holy Crap!

Merfolk looter
Doom blade
Thran Golem
shock
Benalish veteran
Giant Spider

My only solice right now is that my opponents are also having a tough time. If my opponent to my left has taken the next best card in the deck he will probably have taken white-white, which means he is just as likely to take the looter as the doom blade.

I think it is likely with so many packs to go that I will have a good head start on good blue, so although looter is preferable in many ways, I want to start staking out another color. I can forget white, and I don't particularly want red. I'm nervous taking the golem when there aren't any decent blue auras, and anyway doom blade kills golems just fine. I take the doom blade.

P1P4

Nothing remarkable, but a decent 3-drop in blue and red. Obviously, I take the skywinder drake.

P2P1

Nothing remarkable here. I'm kind of all over the place when it comes to colors. warstorm surge can be a beast, but I am not looking to splash red just for that. In the end, I take the card which shuts down my early drops.

arachnus web

At the moment I'm not really in green, and I want to pick up some good black.

P2P2

Another dilemma. Here we have a few choices that could work:

crown of empires
aether adept
phantasmal bear
drifting shade
stampeding rhino

In the end, the crown would 'beat' all the others on the list in a 5-way fight, so I take the crown.

P2P3

There's a lot of spirit mantles floating around and that is something to look out for. Meanwhile I am torn between green and black for my second color.

I can't help but think that if I switch into green now, I could still get the mana-fixing to splash for the doom blade. If I switch into black now, I'm likely to be in a weak blue-black.

I take the jade mage.

P2P4

Phantasmal Image is a no-brainer, but I note the lack of good black.

P2P5

Another pack with little to offer outside of green. That's it, my second color is green.

Sacred Wolf

P3P1

Another dilemma:

arachnus web
merfolk looter
giant spider
doom blade

I feel that my deck is shaping up to be an aggressive deck now, which is not necessarily where you want a looter.

I choose the second web.

P3P2

fireball
arachnus web
merfolk looter
giant spider
doom blade
shock

Somebody's got a great red-black deck.

I realise that my deck is trying to be aggressive so having a late game finisher is probably the best strategy.

fireball

P3P4

In keeping with the aggro theme I take the bear over the temporary removal spell.

P3P6

If I had another trollhide I would pick the golem. With only 2 packs to go I don't think I'll get that lucky, so I choose another hexproof flyer.

aven fleetwing

So my deck is nothing like I imagined it would be - with all that good white and black and red floating around I somehow ended up in Blue-Green. Not only that, so was my opponent to my right!

Yep, I reckon I misstepped here, but this was my deck:

Aggro Blue-Green

Creatures (13)

1 x Sphinx of Uthuun
1 x Merfolk Looter
1 x Skywinder Drake
2 x Runeclaw Bear
1 x Jade Mage
1 x Phantasmal Image
1 x Sacred Wolf
2 x Phantasmal Bear
2 x Aven Fleetwing
1 x Phantasmal Dragon

Spells (10)

1 x Mana Leak
1 x Ponder
2 x Trollhide
2 x Arachnus Web
1 x Crown of Empires
2 x Turn to Frog
1 x Fireball

Lands (17)

1 x Rootbound Crag
7 x Forest
8 x Island
1 x Mountain

Sideboard
Doom Blade
Plummet
Kite Shield
Amphin Cutthroat
Fog
Divination
Coral Merfolk
Levitation
Gladecover Scout
Wurm's Tooth
Naturalize
Brindle Boar
Reclaim
Gladecover Scout
Llanowar Elves

Not the worst I could have drafted, but unfortunately I think black red bloodthirst would have been stronger.

I feel i tried a different approach on this one and got rewared quite a lot for it. i'm not quite sure since i got a bit to few of the bloodthrists, but hey i've got goblin grenades:P

i spent about 20 seconds contemplating taking the shpinx, because its just raw power, but opted to take the gravedigger since its more easy to splash and i think it was the second best card (except that the sphinx would cement me a bit to much into blue control insterad of being open)

Round 1:
Gravedigger
Doom Blade
Doom Blade
Blood Ogre
Stormblood Berserker
Mind Rot
Goblin Arsonist
Disentomb
Manic Vandal
Goblin Grenade
Goblin Grenade
Goblin Tunneler
Wall of Torches
Runeclaw Bear
Forest

Round 2:
Blood Seeker
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Chandra's Outrage
Smallpox
Goblin Fireslinger
Incinerate
Wall of Torches
Dark Favor
Goblin Piker
Tormented Soul
Zombie Goliath
Gladecover Scout
Tormented Soul
Lifelink
Forest

Round 3:
Cemetery Reaper
Fireball
Consume Spirit
Lava Axe
Goblin Fireslinger
Goblin Fireslinger
Dark Favor
Disentomb
Distress
Tormented Soul
Goblin Piker
Phantasmal Bear
Firebreathing
Bountiful Harvest
Mountain

the deck i presume would look like this:

creatures:

3xGoblin Fireslinger

3xTormented Soul

Goblin Arsonist

Goblin Tunneler

Blood Seeker

Stormblood Berserker

Cemetery Reaper

Blood Ogre

Gorehorn Minotaurs

Gravedigger

spells:

2xGoblin Grenade

2x Doom Blade

2xDark Favor

Incinerate

Chandra's Outrage

Fireball

lands

10 mountain

7 swamp

To try something different, I made notes on my draft as I was doing it. It's interesting to see my thought process. I'm rather happy with the deck, but I may be overestimating the picks I made. There's not a whole lot special in there after all, just a lot of aggressive creatures and a strong late game.

Round 1:
Sphinx of Uthuun - Well this is obvious. The only thing I'd take over a Sphinx is an even better foil rare. Or possible Mind Control, but even that's iffy. Blue to kick off!
Day of Judgment - Merfolk looter is tempting, but you do NOT pass a day! I am a little concerned at the missing uncommon though... the only uncommons I can think of worth taking over a Day are either Mind Control and Overrun, and even Overrun is iffy. I hope I won't get cut on blue.
Merfolk Looter - Doomblade is tempting, but Merfolk Looter is perfect for control. And any blue deck really.
Skywinder Drake - No white again? Maybe Day was a bad choice... Drake seems good here.
Stormblood Berserker - Holy hell, red is DEFINITELY open. Black might be too, but not sure how good the Ghoul is... maybe it's worth switching? in any case, since the only good blue and white cards here are fairly weak, I figured I might as well take a chance with the Berserker.
Divination - Hmmm... Divination is good, we need to cut blue hard at this point, and no idea if we're white or red or even black yet.
Goblin Arsonist - This is a toughie... Goblin Arsonist is better than Siege Mastadon though, which means red might be more open? So taking it.
Plummet - Is green open?? It seems it with such a late Garruk's Companion. Um... nothing else here, might as well try it. Although we're light on removal... and Plummet is more splashable. Alright, Plummet.
Manic Vandal - Oooo, um... have more red than green, so Manic Vandal seems the better pick.
Goblin Grenade - Goblin Grenade WHEELED?! Only have one goblin though... but it's still pack one. The Cuthroat is tempting, but super heavy removal is super heavy removal. Sorry Day, it's not you, it's me.
Goblin Grenade - ...two goblin grenades it is.
Goblin Tunneler - When in doubt, get grenade fodder.
Wall of Torches - I'd say that red is DEFINITELY open at this point, but both of these are terrible. The wall seems okay though.
Runeclaw Bear - Poor Runeclaw Bear. It's actually pretty good in this format even.
Forest - A forest? Now we can splash green!

Round 2:
Warstorm Surge - Hmmmm... well we're red and blue. The fact I'm tempted to take Piker is probably a bad sign I'm focusing too much on those damn grenades. It will probably wheel, but the Surge is a good way to end games.
Gorehorn Minotaurs - Minotaurs are too good to pass even for an Adept.
Chandra's Outrage - Removal! Go Chandra's Outrage!
Goblin Arsonist - A LOT of playables here surprisingly. I like the image, but without a lord and with passing the Gideon's Lawkeeper... it's too fragile. Same goes for Ice Cage. And we need more goblins and a way to turn on our minotaur and berserker. Go go goblin arsonist.
Goblin Fireslinger - I'm hoping the Cuthroat will wheel, so taking the Fireslinger here. It's a solid projectile - I mean card. I would kill for a goblin lord.
Divination - Huh, another Warstorm Surge... can we do something with that? I don't have a lot of late game... Divination might be better here since it gets us some card advantage. This is actually a hard pick... but if we have one already, then it's better to try and draw into the one we already have right? not to mention digging for less expensive removal... okay, talked myself into Divination.
Coral Merfolk - Nice! Levitation might be good, but we have enough removal it seems win more. Coral Merfolk is a nice aggressive card though.
Aven Fleetwing - Fleetwing is still here? Man blue is crazy open. G;ad we tried to cut it.
Goblin Piker - Piker wheeled. I will enjoy throwing him. Goblin lord, come on, next pack!
Phantasmal Bear - This pick is BEARLY a choice at all!
Hunter's Insight - Only one in color pick, and it sucks. So going to pick up the Insight in case we do end up going green for a splash.
Pride Guardian - Hate.
Flight - In case we enter a parallel universe where flying auras are suddenly better than... anything.
Plains - I REALLY should have hated Naturalize last pick actually... ah well, lifelink or plains here. The pick is kind of obvious. The land is much more useful.
Forest - More Forests!

Round 3:
Volcanic Dragon - A lord!! ...unfortunately it's the zombie. The Dragon is a solid finisher though.
Fireball - Fireballfireballfireballfireballfireball. Huh, come to think of it, maybe that's what the guy took over Day?
Goblin Piker - Everything here is awful, and a small, small part of me is still hoping for a lord or another grenade. I took so many goblins that taking one at this point they'd have, what, two or three absolute max?
Goblin Arsonist - Okay, we need one drops, but we PROBABLY have enough goblins now... Lava Axe is a good finisher, but we want to be aggressive I'd say, and the Bear is just better at that. Though there's a lot of Stave Offs and the like going around... hm... I feel like I'm going to regret passing the bear, but blue seems open so it might wheel? Bah, I like goblins too much.
Aven Fleetwing - Goblin Fireslinger is good, but I THINK we have enough one drops to enable our... two... blood thirst creatures. Fleetwing ends games, so let's take that.
Volcanic Dragon - ...oh dear merciful heavens. Fleetwing, Fireslinger AND Volcanic Dragon?? Um... hm... okay, the Dragon is the bigger finisher, and we have two Fleetwings already... okay, Dragon. I think I'll be cutting the Surge at this point, it's getting a little top heavy in here.
Phantasmal Dragon - This deck is rapidly becoming DEATH FROM ABOVE! Dragon seems obvious here.
Skywinder Drake - The Coral Merfolk is good, but with two pikers, another merfolk, the arsonists, the... well the ground is covered, but the sky needs more power. Go go drake.
Arachnus Web - I'd rather die than pick Earasure or Bangchuckers. Hating the web.
Turn to Frog - Turn to Frog is the pick here. Reverbrate wheeled, but aside from two... goblin... grenades... *drool*... well turn to frog is less color intensive, and means my Goblin Arsonists can insta kill anything on death.
Divine Favor - Divine Favor kind of wrecks us.
Phantasmal Bear - Oh dear gods, I'd been joking when I said the bear would wheel!! This is the most awesome deck ever!!
Llanowar Elves - Why is this going so late?? Green was pretty open too, everyone must have been going white and black. No wonder I didn't get passed anything to follow up on Day.
Bountiful Harvest - Life gain, woo.
Mountain - It's a sign really. Glad I went red!

Checking over my opponents, really DOES seem like the guy next to me first picked mind control. And that red really was under drafted, no wonder I got so much good red stuff. Blue on the other hand was healthily drafted all around.

Not sure how well I really drafted. I tried to go aggressive, but I ended up taking a few too many late game cards... and with so little bloodthirst I don't have much punch to my ones and twos.
Man what a train wreck.  That was a difficult draft but may I say one thing - there is no uncommon you would take over Day of Judgement in P1p1.  This I think caused quite a lot of confusion for drafters as you could end up with 4 very powerful cards in 4 colours after 4 picks.

Glad I wasn't the only one who struggled with this, Falcon. I talked myself into not taking the DoJ and regretted it in the end. I did a second run taking the DoJ and as it turned out there was plenty of good white for me to have a WU deck.

Glad I wasn't the only one who struggled with this, Falcon. I talked myself into not taking the DoJ and regretted it in the end. I did a second run taking the DoJ and as it turned out there was plenty of good white for me to have a WU deck.

I don't think you can ever pass a DOJ in M12 Limited.  Last week I was solidly in and Pack 3 I opened a DOJ.  I didn't even hesitate.  No, it's not going to make my deck but this card ruins not just me but pretty much every deck.  If the person who opens this card and can play it is half good then they should win the tournament.

If you know the picks and ignore the Sphinx you can get a stupidly good white splash red deck from these packs.
Nobody tried Mono Blue ?
Plenty of flyers and removal in Ice cage & turn to frog

And ofcourse the 2 Harbor Serpent works even better in mono blue
i think the ai is horrible. its best card cant be chasm drake yet it is multiple times. that card isnt that great
So I did it once and my deck was a trainwreck of blue/white signalled by Sphinx and DoJ.
After that I re-drafted and here's what I cme up with.

Round 1:
Tectonic Rift
Shock
Shock
Blood Ogre
Stormblood Berserker
Manic Vandal
Goblin Arsonist
Garruk's Companion
Manic Vandal
Goblin Grenade
Goblin Grenade
Goblin Tunneler
Firebreathing
Runeclaw Bear
Forest

Round 2:
Warstorm Surge
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Chandra's Outrage
Goblin Arsonist
Goblin Fireslinger
Incinerate
Divine Favor
Manic Vandal
Goblin Piker
Act of Treason
Pride Guardian
Pride Guardian
Tormented Soul
Lifelink
Forest

Round 3:
Volcanic Dragon
Fireball
Act of Treason
Lava Axe
Goblin Fireslinger
Volcanic Dragon
Fiery Hellhound
Blood Ogre
Goblin Bangchuckers
Reverberate
Divine Favor
Phantasmal Bear
Llanowar Elves
Bountiful Harvest
Mountain

Deck would end up looking really good:
2 Dragons , 2 Blood Ogres, 2 Fireslingers , 2 Vandals
2 Arsonists , Hellhound , Piker , Tunneler

and wow the burn package
2 Shock, 2 Grenades , Incinerate , Fireball , Outrage , Reverberate

as well as 2 Act of treason

My only regret here is that on second thought, I should go back and see if I could snatch up the Thran Golems for use with my spirit mantles.

W/U is solid in general in core set drafts, R/B bloodthirst is tempting and it even actually works if you get enough of the support cards but few bloodthirsters (all hail Goblin Grenade).

Anyway can't pass the sphinx or the DOJ, started to contemplate going grabbing up red for the pair of grenades I saw floating around in pack one, but decided to stick with my original plan.

Chances for the golem were P1P3...at this point in the draft I didn't know there would be so many good enchantments (spirit mantles) going around so looter was right choice.  And P3P6, should definitely have taken the golem here instead of the fleetwing, I must have just not been paying attention.

I skipped the phantasmal bears on purpose because they are for an aggressive deck, mine is definitely control.  I wonder...P3P4, should I have taken the 3rd Merfolk Mesmerist over the timely reinforcements?  Granted I thought the Mesmerist would wheel, I was still definitely looking at a Mill victory at this point.  No...I think the reinforcements was the better choice in the end, it just slams down so hard on aggro.

Utilizing the second Thran Golem, my deck would look like so:

creatures

non-creatures
[deck]
2x Mana Leak
2x Spirit Mantle
2x Jace's Erasure
1x Frost Breath
1x Timely Reinforcements
1x Day of Judgment
[/deck]

Land
[deck]
9x Island
8x Plains
[/deck]

I think at this point though, I wouldn't mind if I didn't go 3-0.  I got four sweet rares (sphinx, DOJ, Grand Abolisher, and phantasmal image) and a Mythic (Time Reversal).  I'd say I'd already won; definitely.

I'd actually go so far as to say half the people at the table won already...I saw a chandra, a sorin, and a gideon, sweet stuff.  I'd almost be tempted to buy player #8 a pity pack because he went G/U and his best 3 cards are mind control, cudgel troll, and chasm drake.  Although it may just be that the computer rates Chasm drake much higher than I do (read: than it should) and he really does have a nice card somewhere down there....

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Why is Day of Judgement considered such a good card? I can't say I've ever gotten one in Limited, so I don't have any firsthand experience.

To me, it seems like it's just a big reset button for when things aren't going in your favor. But then you've still only got a 50/50 chance that your opponent gets back in control of the game before you do?

Presumably, you can take better advantage of DOJ if it's sitting in your hand, it's just not obvious to me what the strategy for that is, other than "Don't play your creatures"? Is that really that powerful a strategy? 

Thanks for any advice! 
Why is Day of Judgement considered such a good card? I can't say I've ever gotten one in Limited, so I don't have any firsthand experience.

To me, it seems like it's just a big reset button for when things aren't going in your favor. But then you've still only got a 50/50 chance that your opponent gets back in control of the game before you do?

Presumably, you can take better advantage of DOJ if it's sitting in your hand, it's just not obvious to me what the strategy for that is, other than "Don't play your creatures"? Is that really that powerful a strategy? 

Thanks for any advice! 

DOJ is good if you're a controlling deck against an aggressive deck. If they're plopping out creatures left and right, and you can't keep up, it'll turn the game around. They'll have used up a lot of cards by turn 4, trying to kill you as quickly as possible, and a reset right then, when you have significantly more (and if you're controlling, bigger) cards left in hand, means you can then control the pace of the rest of the game.

I drafted Blue White control. So much good stuff.
I play Eric: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA823318E42AA7CBA
I think this draft pod does a good job of showing a few draft lessons.  I think the biggest thing I saw is something I've done successfully in drafts before is where you open up with solid picks of different colors the first few rounds before settling down.

A poster above mentioned that you could draft 4 powerful cards in 4 colors in your first 4 picks as if it were a bad thing. IMO that's a good thing because I want to stay open early in my picks to try and see if I can find some obvious signals.  In the end I completely abandoned white and ended up with an awesome U/R deck. 

Thanks for any advice! 

Day of Judgment is best when your opponent is more aggressive than you are, which will be very often thanks to bloodthirst, particularly if your other color is blue. Even an ideal aggressive start from your opponent will turn into a total catastrophe for them if you respond with DoJ. But it can also take out large creatures burn couldn't touch, or hexproof beaters -- whatever you need it to do. Even if you just trade DoJ and two creatures for three or even two of theirs, it's worth it if their creatures were considerably more powerful. I hope that helps!

Realistically, without exploiting hindsight, UW is the best option here. Sphinx and DoJ just tower above the other early options; switching to RB when you get the Berserker cuts too much quality from your card pool; and forcing bloodthirst from the first pick seems too risky given that you have to give up Sphinx for Bloodrage or Gravedigger (Rift is not a viable pick there). Sure, in this draft you can put together a strong BR deck by forcing it in the early picks, but that wasn't very likely given what we knew at the beginning. If I were drafting with humans and got those early choices, I wouldn't force BR unless I was sure the people around me were disinclined to play it.

I ended up with a fairly aggressive evasion deck splashing black for two Blades, made possible by a good deal of draw. I'd say it compares well to the best possible alternatives in this simulation.

Round 1:Sphinx of UthuunDay of JudgmentDoom BladeSkywinder DrakeMana LeakDivinationMind UnboundGarruk's CompanionGreater BasiliskAmphin CutthroatGoblin GrenadeGoblin TunnelerWall of TorchesRuneclaw BearForest

Round 2:Arachnus WebGideon's LawkeeperGideon's LawkeeperPhantasmal ImageArmored WarhorseDivinationCoral MerfolkAven FleetwingGoblin PikerPhantasmal BearPride GuardianPride GuardianNaturalizeLifelinkForest

Round 3:Assault GriffinDoom BladeConsume SpiritElite VanguardAven FleetwingStormfront PegasusPhantasmal DragonSkywinder DrakeMighty LeapArachnus WebDivine FavorPhantasmal BearLlanowar ElvesBountiful HarvestMountain

2 Phantasmal Bear
2 Gideon's Lawkeeper
Phantasmal Image
Coral Merfolk
Stormfront Pegasus
2 Skywinder Drake
2 Aven Fleetwing
Assault Griffin
Amphin Cutthroat
Phantasmal Dragon

Sphinx of Uthuun

2 Doom Blade
Mana Leak
2 Divination
Day of Judgment
Mind Unbound

9 Island
7 Plains
2 Swamp
If you stick to Blue, you can actually make a deck that makes good use out of Jace's Erasure.  It combos well with Divination and Mind Unbound.  And the 3 Merfolk Mesmerists can help seal the deal on the backs of the counterspells.  

Island x15
Swamp x2

Divination x2
Mind Unbound
Turn to Frog
Jace's Erasure x2
Cancel
Negate
Mana Leak
Doom Blade

Phantasmal Bear
Merfolk Mesmerist x3
Phantasmal Image
Aether Adept
Skywinder Drake x2
Amphin Cutthroat 
Phantasmal Dragon
Aven Fleetwing x2
Sphinx of Uthuun
Round 1:
Sphinx of Uthuun
Doom Blade
Doom Blade
Skywinder Drake
Mana Leak
Divination
Alluring Siren
Disentomb
Negate
Tormented Soul
Flight
Fog
Wall of TorchesRuneclaw Bear
Forest

Round 2:
Blood Seeker
Aether Adept
Gravedigger
Phantasmal Image
Amphin Cutthroat
Duskhunter Bat
Coral Merfolk
Aven Fleetwing
Merfolk Mesmerist
Phantasmal Bear
Merfolk Mesmerist
Coral Merfolk
Naturalize
Lifelink
Forest

Round 3:
Cemetery Reaper
Fireball
Frost Breath
Cancel
Mana Leak
Aven Fleetwing
Phantasmal Dragon
Coral Merfolk
Distress
Tormented Soul
Taste of Blood
Stave Off
Llanowar Elves
Bountiful Harvest
Mountain

I can respect the DOJ pick, but I honestly didn't remember it until I got here, and I consider it mediocre, to be fair. It's good if you can get a 2 for 4, but more often than not it's just a 1 for 1 or a 2 for 2, and when it's a 3 for 2, it's just trash. I can respect the pick, but I'd rather just have doom blade. also, cemetary reaper is the stones and splashing the fireball is NECESSARY and if you didn't you're wrong.  
Man what a train wreck.  That was a difficult draft but may I say one thing - there is no uncommon you would take over Day of Judgement in P1p1. 

Checking the top picks at the end of the draft, player to our right  had a Mind Control which I suppose you could argue as a good first pick over DOJ. Not saying it's right just saying it's a defendable pick. Also did anyone else notice there were three planeswalkers in that draft, crazy. I forced UW control and ended happy overall with double Looter and double Lawkeeper and some decent flyers. but three planeswalkers man.
I didn't see anyone else that posted here picking Sutured Ghoul.  Is there any reason this isn't a good pick?  It seemed like a good pick and at P1P5 I didn't think we were particularly committed to a particular color, although the Day of Judgment and Sphinx of Uthuun are both good and in different colors.

My first time through turned into a bit of a trainwreck, with strong black, but no solid second color.  I was able to force (after knowing what I'd see) a good U/B controling deck to use the Sutured Ghoul though.
I picked based on what I would have wanted to play rather than what cards I would have liked to take home with me.  I think in person it'd be much harder not to pick some of the rarer cards right away.  The only thing that kept me from starting with the sphinx was the mana cost.  I liked the green/white that was inspired by the lonely little lawkeeper.  By the time I got to Thran I figured green would be a good addition to white for the enchanting Thran purposes. Hunter's insight showed up later.  That pushed me to go for some evasiveness in my next picks.  Other than that I just tried to keep it simple with the two colors.

Round 1:Gideon's LawkeeperDay of JudgmentThran GolemGreater BasiliskGiant SpiderSpirit MantleTrollhideLifelinkRuneclaw BearDemystifyRuneclaw BearFogFirebreathingRuneclaw BearForest

Round 2:Hunter's InsightGrand AbolisherGideon's LawkeeperPride GuardianTitanic GrowthFogDivine FavorLlanowar ElvesPride GuardianMighty LeapHunter's InsightGladecover ScoutGoblin FireslingerLifelinkForest

Round 3:Garruk's CompanionStormfront PegasusPlummetTimely ReinforcementsLlanowar ElvesThran GolemPacifismSpirit MantleLifelinkMighty LeapDivine FavorGladecover ScoutRuneclaw BearBountiful HarvestMountain
I didn't see anyone else that posted here picking Sutured Ghoul.  Is there any reason this isn't a good pick?  It seemed like a good pick and at P1P5 I didn't think we were particularly committed to a particular color, although the Day of Judgment and Sphinx of Uthuun are both good and in different colors.

I picked it.  I felt pretty good about a U/B Control deck at that point, and he is a pretty strong finisher if you offer up enough trades at the beggining.  However, it does require you to conciously try to trade.  Another downside is the triple black which, although he does cost 7, is still a tall order.  I basically had him as an alternate kill condition if my sphinx ever bit it.

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.