Basic Alchemy question - what components?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I took the Alchemist theme, and I'm trying to get all the equipment he'll need to be a mad scientist.  I know that he can prepare some items for free, but I'd like to have components available to make more.  The problem is, I don't know WHAT components to buy.

I know what they cost, as the recipes indicate the component costs.  And I know what the recipes cost.  And I know I need alchemy case.  But what about components?

I'm guessing it's the same as with rituals, and you buy components based on the related skill of the recipe.  So if the recipe has Religion you get incense, if it's Arcana you you get Alchemical Reagents, etc.  But what throws me off is recipes that have Thievery listed.  What component goes with that?  I guess it's not needed since Thievery never seems to be listed on its own.

Also, some recipes like Eyesting have no Key Skills listed.  What's up with that?

Thanks,
Goken 
All alchemical items use "alchemical components", the same used by some rituals (Eberron Player's Guide p98).
All alchemical items use "alchemical components", the same used by some rituals (Eberron Player's Guide p98).

Do you mean Alchemical Reagents?  I don't see anything called components anywhere.

Do you mean Alchemical Reagents?  I don't see anything called components anywhere.

Yeah. The EPG refers to them as components, but the actual item is reagents.
I'm pretty sure you can also use Residuum for everything, including Alchemy.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Basically, the player and the DM wing it together. You don't want to plot out the use of specific plants only to discover either (a) that the DM is not a botanist and has no idea what you're talking about or (b) you aren't as much of a botanist as you thought and the DM points out that the specific variety of seaweed you refer to doesn't grow in these mountains.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose