(DMs Only) Share Your Minis for Season 6

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm making custom minis (or customizing existing minis) for some of the monsters this season. Here is my white dragon with the blue spellplague markings.

And here are the Kraken Tentacles that I made

- Rico
Definitely jealous of the tentacles. I've only got a dracolich mini from the miniatures boxes that I will be using for the dragon. Otherwise it's Gnomish's stuff for me. Oh I forgot I have a Zhent Warrior I'm using for the Lost Heir. Seems remarkably well suited.
Definitely jealous of the tentacles. I've only got a dracolich mini from the miniatures boxes that I will be using for the dragon. Otherwise it's Gnomish's stuff for me. Oh I forgot I have a Zhent Warrior I'm using for the Lost Heir. Seems remarkably well suited.

I think I'm going to use the dracolich for when the dragon gets turned to stone.
- Rico
Very nice! May your players appreciate your extra efforts. Have fun!
I've been going around subtly suggesting people use Icingdeath for the white dragon, coupled with a caveat to take care with its huge base and the Instinctive Rampage ability.

Definitely going to grab one of my zhent warriors for the Lost Heir. That's a good call.

Cheers
Here is my latest effort. I've got the mini for the Twig Blights, but I didn't have anything for the Twig Blight Swampvines. So I altered a couple of the Twig Blights. Here they are with the standard Twig Blights. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do differently for the Twig Blight Seedlings though.

- Rico
Holy Cow! Running at Brookhurst Hobbies with Rico is an excercise in fuitility! This guy is just going all out!

But, in my own way, I am trying to keep up--here is the Dragon Mini I plan to use manana along with the Reaper Mini I am using for the Lost Heir.

And yes that is a childrens toy that I repainted--for more on the process check out my blog 

Copyright does not protect the idea for a game

Rico where did you get the Tentacles? That is awesome...

Thanks,

Bryan Blumklotz
AKA Saracenus
Holy Cow! Running at Brookhurst Hobbies with Rico is an excercise in fuitility! This guy is just going all out!

But, in my own way, I am trying to keep up--here is the Dragon Mini I plan to use manana along with the Reaper Mini I am using for the Lost Heir.

And yes that is a childrens toy that I repainted--for more on the process check out my blog 

David, 

I love it! I have some similar to that one too. We're going to be stuck DMing at Brookhurst Hobbies from now on I fear.    

- Rico
Rico where did you get the Tentacles? That is awesome...

Thanks,

Bryan Blumklotz
AKA Saracenus

Bryan,

I found a couple of these toy giant squids (www.amazon.com/Wild-Safari-Sealife-Giant...) at a local craft store. I cut off the tentacles and glued them to the bases.

Of course I still need to paint them black. I'll post a another picture when they're completed. 
- Rico
Here's the final version of the tenticles.

- Rico
I was just going to use minion tokens for the tentacles, but damn those are impressive. I might have to do that myself.

And I too was sorely tempted to use Icingdeath, but I like to maintain an accurate sense of scale when I can...gargantuan dragon, while impressive looking, just feels out of place. I am definitely considering taking a blue marker to my white dragon though, get some spellplague going.

Nice work by all!
https://twitter.com/#!/Nullzone42
Thanks Rico,

A follow up, what is the material for the swampvine twigblights? That is also awesome!

Bryan Blumklotz
AKA Saracenus
I was just going to use minion tokens for the tentacles, but damn those are impressive. I might have to do that myself.

And I too was sorely tempted to use Icingdeath, but I like to maintain an accurate sense of scale when I can...gargantuan dragon, while impressive looking, just feels out of place. I am definitely considering taking a blue marker to my white dragon though, get some spellplague going.

Nice work by all!

I debated for some time as well on this, for the same reasons.  Then my wife piped up, "You have the damned giant dragon, will you ever use it otherwise at your FLGS!!!???".  That sold me on it.  Why not!  Scare the action points right outa the players.  But I do have to admit, taking a some blue wet erase marker and lining up the smaller mini was definately tempting!
That is true, this is sort of a set piece battle. Could even compensate for some tactical stuff by allowing flanking from perpendicular sides, and not just parallel ones.

Temptation rising...
https://twitter.com/#!/Nullzone42
Oh I forgot I have a Zhent Warrior I'm using for the Lost Heir. Seems remarkably well suited.

Exactly what I did. I was pleasantly surprised when reading aloud the description of the Heir's arrival, to find that he wore a flowing purple cloak, just like the mini!
Thanks Rico,

A follow up, what is the material for the swampvine twigblights? That is also awesome!

Bryan Blumklotz
AKA Saracenus

Twist ties. I was trying to figure out what I could use that would match the scale of the minis. I thought I could strip down some twist ties and use the wire. When I looked in the drawer where the twist ties were, I found several that were a sort of olive green color. I used an X-acto knife to fray them up and then twisted them around the minis.

I still haven't quite decided what I'm going to do for the seedlings. Maybe I'll take some of the standard Twig Blight minis and dry brush some green paint on them so that they look younger.
- Rico
So for the Twig Blight Seedlings, since they're minions, and they're still young and not fully developed, it made sense to me that they would be green. So I dry brushed a couple of shades of green onto some of the Twig Blight minis that I had. I left their feet brown to represent that they're starting to mature. The stem of a plant turns brown and woody starting at the base and working up.

- Rico
That's some nice customization there Gimper ...

The location where I DM got the Encounters package two weeks late so we're playing catchup. But now that I have it all in front of me I can chime in with my miniature choices. I have many minis at my disposal but never travel with my metal figs even when some might represent characters/creatures better. I've had too many break during travel to know that it's better to game with metals at home and that plastics can be thrown into a ziplock bag and shoved in a backpack for off-site rolling. Anyways ...

Every miniature listed/named below are from one of the WotC miniature lines/products—

I used a mixture of Spellstiched Hobgoblins, orc zombies and terror wights for the maniacs.

Talenta Halfling mini for Jarvy. 1/2 Orc spy mini for Nagda. Dwarf Cleric mini from the Ravenloft board game as Aothir, Human Commoner from Harbringer as Clorde and the farmer mini (the guy with the pig) for the rest of the townfolk.

For the Heir I am using the Stalwart Palladin from the 2003 Dragoneye set. Sure he/she's not wearing purple but it was more important to me that she/he's face be covered. Plus the mini is rather regal looking. The 2nd table is using the Aasimar Fighter from War of the Dragon Queen.

SIDE NOTE: I am using that Zhent Soldier for Korzon (2nd level warpriest from the Red Box Game Day event) as a playable PC for newcomers. Due to the lag in getting the Encounters stuff we ran a Dungeon Delve and I let everyone keep thier XP from that, so they've leveled to 2 at the end of Chapter 1. So I'm offering all the RBGD characters up for play.

Used the large white dragon for the spellchanged. Using Icingdeath seems ridiculous to me.

We will be running both the tavern fight and gate defense next week to get caught up—
For the brawl I'm using a mixture of Human Thug and Tavern Brawler miniatures and since my players are level 2 I'm throwing in the Dwarf Brawler mini and giving him Barstomun Strongbeards stats from the DMG.

Sabine is the Captain of the Watch mini and her personal guard are the Arcanix Guard because I think it would be cool if they were all ladies. Plus they're all wearing blue and look keen together.

Session 4: The Common Bandits will be played by Cloudreavers. Seldra is played by the Bladesinger.
Session 5: Wretches = return performance by Spellstiched hobgoblins and Grunts once again by the terror wight.
Session 6: Bandits = Cloudreavers and Charl the Halfling Brawler
Session 7: Twig Blights star as themselves. I number my miniatures bases although seeing the green drybrushing may tempt me to paint some green and maybe do an organge drybrush for the swampvines. Depends on my free time I suppose.
Session 8: Dire rats and rat swarms as themselves but since my players will be 3rd level by this point (most likely) I'm probably going to upgrade to visejaw crocodiles.
Session 9: Wererats as themselves
Session 10: Slimes will be represented by ochre jelly and I'll probably make tentacles using paper and plastc bases. I'll post a pic when I get there.
Session 11: I'll once again use two orche jelly figs but I'll base them on a large base token. Once it splits I remove the two medium figs from the base. The Gravehound will be the plaguechanged puppy.
Session 13: Lesser fire elementals = small fire elementals

That about wraps it up ...
For the Plague Changed Wretches I'm using the Chillborn minis.

And for the Plague Changed Grunts I modified some non D&D minis I had.

- Rico
Sessions:

1- Aothir (Dwarf Artificer) Nagda (Longtooth Barbarian) Clorde (Farmer) Jarvy (Halfling Slinger) Lost Heir (Zhent Solider) Drakes (Bloodseeker Drakes) Maniacs (Strahd Zombies)
2- Dragon (LOM Huge Blue)
3- Brawlers (Shadar-Kai Warriors), Speaking Brawler (Tavern Brawler) Sabine (Female Eladrin Fighter) Guards (Human Townguards) Brown Lego Boats (x2)
4- Neverember (Human Sellsword) Bandits (Lloth's Sting x3, Human Bandit x2) Seldra (rebased Mage Knight figure)
5- Wretches (Ravenloft Blazing Skeletons) Grunts (Foulspawn Berserkers)
6- Charl (Halfling Rogue?) Bandits (Human Bandits) Manikins (Animated Statues) Mirrors (?)
7- Twig Blights (?) (Don't own any Twig Blight figures)
8- Crocodiles (Visejaw Crocodiles) Dire Rats (Diseased Dire Rats) Rat Swarm (Rat Swarm)
9 - Wererats (?) (see 7)
10- Slimes (Ochre Jellies) Tentacles (homemade Sculpty tentacles)
11- (see 5)
12- Ooze (homemade large Blue Slime from KotS, into Ochre jellies) Hound (Shadow Mastiff?) Flames (?)
13- Seldra (see 4) Elementals (? I only own one small fire elemental so we'll see)
14- Dragon (hopefully the Large White from the boxed set, if not LOM Huge Blue)

Any ideas for the flames in Session 12 and on?

Any ideas for the flames in Session 12 and on?

I'm going to use these

They're Frozen/Ice markers from Gale Force 9. 

- Rico

Technically these aren't "minis" but props. Nonetheless I made mirrors for the House of A Thousand Faces encounter.

- Rico
Gimper, those mirrors are very very cool. I'm simply going to use a mirror graphic that I found on the old Dundjinni forums.
I made a photocopy of the House of a Thousand Faces map and will just glue these on the marked squares. I'll also use the Animated Statue miniature to represent the manaquins in the encounter.

Looking forward there will be a change up to the miniatures I'm using. I recently got off ebay some more of those Chillborn Zombies and a bunch of the Plaguechanged Ghoul minis. I really wanted to use the Chillborns for the Wretches and the Ghouls for the Grunts, to begin with, but didn't have enough in my collection. Glad to say I've since changed that.

For kicks here is a pic from last weeks session .... enjoy
I'll also use the Animated Statue miniature to represent the manaquins in the encounter.

I thought about using those too, but I don't think I have six of them. So (as much as I don't like using them) since a PC can occupy the same square as a mannequin, I decided the easiest thing to do (unless someone creates some standees) is to use some of the pogs from the Red Box.
- Rico
Sessions:

12- Ooze (homemade large Blue Slime from KotS

I'm working on one right now. Do you have any pictures of the one you made for KOTS? I'd love to see it. 

- Rico
I'm changing up the Guardian Vines encounter. I am swapping out the two Twig Blight Swampvines for two Giant Frogs (lvl 3 brutes). No real reason, I just like giant frogs. I'll also add a third Twig Blight to give it the oomph my table needs.
I'm tweaking the following encounter, Sewer Sentries, as well. I'm dropping the medium sized crocs for a single visejaw croc. I'll add a second swarm of rats (which takes the XP for creatures to 625 - where it was before I tweaked it) and I'll add a third dire rat to once again, oomph the table. I don't hand out additional XP when I add another creature, it's just that the players have grown to work well as a team and can handle the extra combatant.
I'm tweaking the following encounter, Sewer Sentries, as well. I'm dropping the medium sized crocs for a single visejaw croc. I'll add a second swarm of rats (which takes the XP for creatures to 625 - where it was before I tweaked it) and I'll add a third dire rat to once again, oomph the table. I don't hand out additional XP when I add another creature, it's just that the players have grown to work well as a team and can handle the extra combatant.

That's not a bad idea. I was going to use the monitor lizard minis, but I may follow your idea.

- Rico
Sessions:

12- Ooze (homemade large Blue Slime from KotS

I'm working on one right now. Do you have any pictures of the one you made for KOTS? I'd love to see it. 

Blue Slime, Black Pudding, Ochre Jelly, and Gelatinous Cube (Oozes were a base + tinted epoxy layered over stacked squashed marbles. The Cube involved a Lego mold, parafin wax and layered epoxy)
IMAGE(http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/MrSleep_bucket/IMG_2541.jpg)
Tentacles for Session 10 (Sculpty and paint)
IMAGE(http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/MrSleep_bucket/IMG_2538.jpg)
Artsy, those are sweet. Great job.

Gimper I didn't even think of using the monitor lizards but they would be pretty near perfect actually.

My table has grown to six players so I'm going to rework the encounter again, but most likely I'll just be adding more rats. Keeping the visejaw the only non-rat in the encounter.

Here's a pic of last nights action. Had a new player/character at the table and despite all the miniatures he had to pick from, choose the arcane portal to represent his character. Goofy, but hey, whatever floats your boat I suppose.
Sign In to post comments