What are your favorite RPGs, and what is their relation to 4e D&D?

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
I thought it might be fun to see what people's favorite RPGs are, and what their relation to 4e is (in terms of personal, subjective, enjoyment). So, to anyone who wants to participate, please list your favorite RPGs in order from most enjoyable to least enjoyable until you hit 4e. For example, my favorite RPGs (right now) are:

1) Eclipse Phase
2) Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e
3) Shadowrun 4e
4) 4e D&D/Star Wars Saga

1. Champions/HERO System
2. D&D 4e
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
My favorite system is Savage Worlds, followed closely by World of Darkness (I generally prefer point buy systems). D&D 4e is #1 for D&D, though. It's the only D&D edition that I've actually taken a large interest in. 

If I have to make a list:

1) Savage Worlds
2) World of Darkness
3) Cortex
4) D&D 4e

Palladium gets a special mention here. Their rules are terrible, but their settings are amazing. They also got me into RPG's. My first tabletop game ever was Heroes Unlimited. 
1. D&D 4e.
2. Adventure! (Storyteller varient)
3. 7th Sea.
4. Stuperheroes.

Once Dias Ex Machina releases UltraModern 4e and Neurospasta, my love of 4e will just increase more. 

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.

1. D&D 4e.

2. TSR Marvel SuperHeroes RPG (by Jeff Grubb)

3. Any other edition of D&D.

4. ShadowRun 1e

5. Paranoia (any edition)

6. Gamma World (WotC/4e-ish)

7. Gamma World (1e)

I have played and enjoyed literally hundreds of RPGs. But these are the ones that grab and hold my attention the most.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

1) D&D4e
2) Hero System
3) PF/3.x

Honestly, 1 and 3 are a based on the style of the campaign, cinematic vs simulation. Any other genre outside of Fantasy I prefer Hero.

1. Guardian Heroes
2. Shining The Holy Ark
3-5. Etrian Oddyssey 1-3
6. Fallout 3
7. D&D 4e, maybe
I'd currently go for

1) D&D 4e
2) M&M 2e
3) the rest
4) Older versions of D&D

But I have high hopes for Mutants & Masterminds 3e, I just haven't found a group to play it with yet. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
for heroic fantasy games? D&D 4th is right up on top. 

for other genres? it really depends, but VERY rarely will i ever use a system outside of it's intended use, mainly because there are usually systems out there that do that genre better. 
3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2

I have played and enjoyed literally hundreds of RPGs. But these are the ones that grab and hold my attention the most.

+1.

I think the real question is more what systems do you like to build and create character/game for. I have played literally hundreds of systems over the last 25 years. I would play any of them happily, if it meant a good story and fun times. System really only comes into play for me during the down time and during creation.  Playing with all the fiddly bits between games. At the table, I really don't care if it is DCV, THAC0, BAB or Hit line of a power I am looking at, so long as I can kill stuff and take it's loot.

Ranking by 'fun' is a little different than ranking by quality...

Mage: the Ascension 1st
Champions!/Hero System 4th
Hero System 5th/Revised
D&D 4.0
Gamma World 7th (4e D&D rules)
D&D 4e 'drink from the firehose'
Champions! 3rd
Gamma World 1st/2nd/4th
Storyboard
Star Wars 1st (WEG/d6)
Fantasy Hero
D&D 3.0
D&D 3.5
RuneQuest II
D&D Essentials-only
Shadowrun
Danger: International
Werewolf: the Apocalypse
AD&D 1e
.... any further down the ranking, and I'd be getting into games I didn't enjoy...

Another interesting question could be 'how easy is it to /find/ a game/campaign to play in or get a group together when you run a game?'

Because finding an Essentials-only(or rather '+') D&D Game to play is as easy as walking into your FLGS any given Wednesday, but finding a game of Champions! or AD&D 1e could require worming your way into a group that's been playing since the 80s, and has an opening only because someone died.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Aside from DnD, I like:

Rolemaster
MERP (Middle Earth Role Playing)
Spacemaster
Gamma World

Rolemaster's relation to DnD is one of early competitor and ultimately an influence on DnD. The DnD skill system and critical hit system were, I believe, heavily influenced by Rolemaster.

Many people feel Rolemaster is too complex and rules-heavy (hence it's nickname as 'Rulesmaster' or 'Chartmaster'), but personally I like the more simulationist take. Currently, my group alternates between DnD and Rolemaster for our campaigns.

Spacemaster is Rolemaster in space, with all the good and bad things that implies.

MERP had a great background and set of modules, and one of the best systems of maps in any game I've ever seen. They did a great job of fleshing out Tolkien's world in an RPG-friendly way. I think it's why you'll still find many of those modules kicking around.

I also loved the old Gamma World and look forward someday to getting and playing the new one.

"What is the sort of thing that I do care about is a failure to seriously evaluate what does and doesn't work in favor of a sort of cargo cult posturing. And yes, it's painful to read design notes columns that are all just "So D&D 3.5 sort of had these problems. We know people have some issues with them. What a puzzler! But we think we have a solution in the form of X", where X is sort of a half-baked version of an idea that 4e executed perfectly well and which worked fine." - Lesp

1. D&D 4E
2. AD&D 2E
3 Warhammer FRPG 2E/3E
Well, I've played a LOT of different RPG's since 1979, when I first got into it.

WEG D6 Star Wars was a lot of fun, as was: MERP, James Bond 007,and even some of the Palladium stuff.

But, There is a special place in my heart for BASIC D&D (with added AD&D elements). It is fun, simple, and there is a wealth of material for it. It is classic. So yeah, the two I play most are:

BASIC (classic RED BOX, not the Original 1974 rules) and AD&D (1st Edition) and

D&D 4E. Which I feel has excellent mechanics, and is easy to teach others how to play.

1. Pathfinder

2. Witch Hunter the Invisible World

3. Eclipse Phase

4. Savage Worlds

5. New World of Darkness

6. Qin the Warring States

7. L5R 4th edition

8. Anima

9. Spellbound Kingdoms

10. New Gods of Mankind

11. Trail of Cthulhu

And 12-16, at least, is open for games I may have forgotten or haven't released yet (Far West is looking to be in my top 5 when it's released later this year). So 4e is maybe 17th place. I'm sure you guys saw that commig with Pathfinder being my 1st.
-I got ran over my a squirrel the other day. -I'm going to steal my own idea. -My fruits of labor are not fruits... *sniff* they're vegetables. *sobs*
So 4e is maybe 17th place. I'm sure you guys saw that commig with Pathfinder being my 1st.

I don't see the connection that so many people seem to draw between pro-PF and anti-4e (or the reverse).

I LOVED 3e when it was the D&D game in town.
I LOVED 3.5e when it was the D&D game in town.
I LOVE 4e now that it is the D&D game in town.
(pattern... I love the then-current D&D game).

But this does not make me anti-Pathfinder. I love what Paizo has done with Pathfinder. The only reason I don't play it (and I know I would enjoy it) is that I don't have time for another on-going game, and there is very little incentive to do D&D-like games in a one-shot fashion, including PF.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

1. Pathfinder

2. Witch Hunter the Invisible World

3. Eclipse Phase

4. Savage Worlds

5. New World of Darkness

6. Qin the Warring States

7. L5R 4th edition

8. Anima

9. Spellbound Kingdoms

10. New Gods of Mankind

11. Trail of Cthulhu

And 12-16, at least, is open for games I may have forgotten or haven't released yet (Far West is looking to be in my top 5 when it's released later this year). So 4e is maybe 17th place. I'm sure you guys saw that commig with Pathfinder being my 1st.

You are forgiven, but only because you put Eclipse Phase in your third space. Tongue out
I forgot one: I also dearly love  Savage Worlds.
For me the list goes something like this:

Star Wars Saga
Mutants and Masterminds 3rd ed
4e D&D
BeSM/Silver Age Sentinels
d20 Modern
Hero System
Marvel Superhero RPG
AD&D
D&D 3.5 

Base 3.5 is icky but I really like Saga edition and d20 Modern. (and Mutants and Masterminds which is technically d20 system based.)
I truly would love to play the Dragon Age RPG as it seems a lot of fun. But haven't gotten around to it yet.  
Characters currently: Abscense makes the heart grow fonder but the characters disappear.
D&D Gamma World

D&D 4E

Star Wars Saga

Tom's Space Marine  because Tom rocks!!!!

Alternity

D&D 3.5

Star Wars D6

Top Secret

Star Frontiers

D&D 1e

my top ten
1.  AD&D 1E
2.  Savage Worlds
3.  D&D 3.5
4.  Star Wars Saga
5.  Tales from the Floating Vagabond
6.  Deadlands classic/Hell on Earth
7.  Call of Cthulu
8.  D&D 4E
Hmmm... subjective to what I'm playing right now being freshest in my mind, 

1. nWoD (Hunter, Werewolf specifically)
2. Fantasy Flight 40k systems (Deathwatch, Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader: haven't played enough of them to seperate them out)
3. Dresden Files (speculative: one day I'll assemble a group!)
4. Star Wars Saga (nice and clean, the better mechanical parts of 3.5 and 4e D&D)
5. D&D 3.5 (I know it better)
6. D&D 4e (I know it less well)

I spent so long filling my head with 3.5, I just couldn't muster the will to re-memorize similar-but-different material. That being said, it's a great system for introducing new victims players to RPing, and it's a great tactical system. I'm just more of a freeform RPer at heart.
Hmmm...

Picking an exact order is very difficult.  Partly because each game I play is fairly different from the others.

So in no particular order:

Dungeons & Dragons 4e
World of Darkness (both old and new versions)
Legend of the Five Rings
Mouse Guard
Dogs in the Vineyard
Rogue Trader
Shadowrun

I will not play under any circumstances:

RIFTS
GURPS
Any 3.X variant, including Pathfinder

No way, no how.  I have had such a miserable time playing those games that I will not subject myself to them again.
Essentials zigged, when I wanted to continue zagging. Roll dice, not cars.
1. Earthdawn 3rd edition
2. Savage Worlds
3. D&D 4e/essentials
4e
AD&D and its retro clone Osric
Call of Cthulhu
I don't think I want to rank, but I played a lot of white wolf storyteller games as one time, and they taught me a lot about story and improvization, much of which I use in my 4E games.  I miss Mage's freeform magic system, even though the concept of consensual reality has holes you could drive a truck through and it could be a huge pain to adjudicate.
I enjoy both 4e and Pathfinder, currently playing 4e and running PF. 
I love MWP's Cortex system for its hackability and flexibility and will probably try something with that after my PF Dragonlance game ends.
I always liked the classic Vampire: the Masquerade game, if mostly for the flavour that made the books worth reading.  

I've been meaning to look-up Eclipse Phase and Fiasco as I hear they're great but my OLGS doesn't stock them. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

1. Shadowrun 4e

2. 3.5

3. Paranoia (the edition is above your clearance)

4. RIFTS (Not out of any mechanical love, but probably a more nostalgic factor)

5. There should be a bunch of space, and then 4e. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

D&D, any edition. 

There's components of every one I love.  Most of the time, it's the more artistic or creative components, but I love me that perfect balance of storytelling and game, like always.

Aside from that, I've only dabbled in other RPGs. 

Alternity/Stardrive was actually a very cool sci-fi RPG put out by TSR that I wish they'd revive.  Had a lot of promise, great flavor, and excellent rules system.  I liked how they handled wounds - and having our own space ship!

Vampire: The Masquerade had some of the most inspiring flavor I'd ever read for an RPG.  Read the entire book but we never did get a game going.

More recently, I've been very impressed by everything I've read, heard and experience from the Dragon Age tabletop RPG.  In fact, my brother recently ran a heroic tier D&D campaign for us heavily inspired by the Dragon Age box set.  Brilliant, haunting, gritty, dramatic dark fantasy.

Since not everyone was ready to try the AGE system, that's the compromise we went with - but I'm now more willing than ever to try out a "pure" Dragon Age tabletop campaign.
LEONINE ROAR : Amp Up Your D&D Game : Visit my D&D blog :: FASTER COMBAT : Crush Your Combat Grind

Alternity/Stardrive was actually a very cool sci-fi RPG put out by TSR that I wish they'd revive.  Had a lot of promise, great flavor, and excellent rules system.  I liked how they handled wounds - and having our own space ship!

Check out Eclipse Phase. In some sense, its resolution system is similar to Alternity, only instead of using a d20 you use a d100 (or 2d10's, with each die representing one digit space). It also has to be hands down the best sci-fi RPG I have ever seen (both in terms of mechanics and setting).

More recently, I've been very impressed by everything I've read, heard and experience from the Dragon Age tabletop RPG.  In fact, my brother recently ran a heroic tier D&D campaign for us heavily inspired by the Dragon Age box set.  Brilliant, haunting, gritty, dramatic dark fantasy.

Since not everyone was ready to try the AGE system, that's the compromise we went with - but I'm now more willing than ever to try out a "pure" Dragon Age tabletop campaign.

Yea, I have heard some good things about the AGE system. I want to try it out. The main reason I haven't yet is because I own all of the WFRPG 3e material. It is already a "haunting, gritty, dramatic dark fantasy." Its rules system is superb. It has one of the most interesting dice mechanics I have ever had the pleasure of using. And, if all that wasn't enough, its setting is so similar to Dragon Age that I get the feeling that Bioware was strongly "influenced" by the warhammer world. As such, its relation to warhammer seems a little like the relation between Pathfinder and D&D; they are so similar that I can't really see a point of playing both. Still, I do really want to give it a try eventually. Maybe I will prove myself wrong, and I will end up adding it to my collection of RPGs.
1.  D&D 4E
2.  Mutants and Masterminds 3E or 2E (a very close second)
3.  Legend of the Five Rings 2E
4.  7th Sea
As far as my favorite systems go mechanically:

1. Saga ed Star Wars
2. nWoD (changeling in particular, not mage)
3. Gamma world (D&D 4e)
4. Pathfinder
5. BESM (an oddityand not silver aged sentinels... boo!)

As far as my favorite settings and themes go:

0. * for D&D, my favorite setting is Dark Sun, all the way*
1. Exalted
2. Cthulhutech
3. Gamma World
4. Star wars
5. Eclipse Phase
6. nWoD (any release, especially mage and changeling)
7. Robotech
8. Rifts (and palladium systems in general)

I am a huge fan of the 1 roll to rule them all philosophy.  d20 systems and the nWoD where the same rules apply to all rolls so that there is little confusion makes difficulties and probabilites easy for me as a DM and as a player. 

Sadly, I haven't had a chance to play Cthulhutech or eclipsephase much, so I can't speak to their mechanics (cthulhutech has a sort of ...oddness... to it's rolling system at higher skill levels).  Their themes and world building are great and I love the genres where the players are HEROES, fighting the GRAND FIGHT (though not necessarily the good fight or the most important fight).  I am intrigued by Anima, though the core rules are so dense it's hard for me to just crack it open and enjoy.

in any case, I like post apoc, where the heroes have hard choices and a dangerous foe/s to face, where thre is danger but also possibility, and a larger world just outside their horizons.  And I like mechanics that make it easy for me to display that world.
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want
I thought it might be fun to see what people's favorite RPGs are, and what their relation to 4e is (in terms of personal, subjective, enjoyment).

D&D 4e is definitely my favorite game. Like a fine scotch, it still has some aging to do, to enrich and resonate the options.

I care about the integrity, elegance, and robustness of the gaming system. Few other games can compete.

I strongly require customizability in any game, and actually prefer freeform characters that mix-and-match any features. But I also care deeply about balance and fairness among the players. My understanding is, the modular powers of D&D 4e started off as a freeform system, but pulled back because of balance issues. In development, they described the early playstyle as fast and ferocious, because of different kinds of ultra-specialists. A 4e mechanic that pleasantly surprised me is the half-level bonus, that forces every character to be at least somewhat competent at everything. This allows players to customize specialists that still remain relevant when out of their element. While it is possible to simultaneously improve customizability and balance, it is a difficult and conflictive goal, and so far D&D 4e is on the right track.

Some aspects of the gaming system still need finetuning. Devs announced plans to make essential-style classes more customizable and miscible with original-style classes and I eagerly await these plans to reach fruition. One of the goals of 4e is to streamline and minimize complexity, unnecessary bookkeeping, and 'fiddliness'. These same goals now need to return to revamp the myriad of situational bonuses. All part of maintainance of gaming system.

I also feel reemphasizing the improvisation mechanic will go a long way to personalizing the gaming experience of the character and the campaign.

In sum, D&D 4e is a fantastic system. Many people feel a need to flesh out the skeleton, with more narrative focus, such as adventures. The gaming system is robust and worthy of the best narrative experiences. D&D 4e brings the gaming industry to the next level.

Another gaming system that impresses me for its simplicity and power is the vintage Marvel Superheroes game. It works around d100 percentiles, and orders of magnitude, to resolve virtually any conceivable conflict, with simplicity and fairness. Great game.

Im also excited about the Dresden Files. I love the flavor of modern magic - and wizards who are allowed to get haircuts! LOL. I havent looked at the game yet, but will do soon. For me, that game will live or die by how good its mechanical system is. People say the system works well, so I look forward to it.

Cyber-Dave, your appreciation of Warhammer for its non-numeric conflict resolution system - with pictographic dice - inspired me. Being a purist, I explored how to resolve all conflicts by means of a coin toss. I game up with a system of coin pools. I had to go thru some wild (and fascinating!) calculations to come up with a system that is balanced at any level. I did it. For all of its extreme number-crunching calculations, the end result made me a appreciate the power of the d20 system in a new way. The granularity of coin toss system is about the same as of the d20 system, except the d20 is more consistent. Even so, I have to admit there is something appealing, pure, and addictive about resolving conflicts with pictures of heads or tails. It really does evoke a different state of mind.

D&D 4e is definitely my favorite game. Like a fine scotch, it still has some aging to do, to enrich and resonate the options.

Oh dear god. That made me cringe. I mean, I really like 4e too. I am a bit burnt out on it right now, but it is still in my top 4 list (tied with Star Wars Saga). But calling it akin to a "fine scotch"? What a cheesy cliche simile... :P

[Don't mind me. I am wearing my Oscar the Grouch/literary device police shirt today. I think I might be wearing my hypocrite hat as well. I am sure I have used similes that are at least half as bad in the past. I am merely poking fun.]

I care about the integrity, elegance, and robustness of the gaming system. Few other games can compete.

Considering how many other people favor other games before 4e, including amongst those that happen to really like 4e, and that in a thread written on a forum that will obviously be biased in favor of 4e, I can't agree. Don't get me wrong, its a great game system. But, I think there are quite a few other game systems out there that can compete quite competently... unless you meant competing towards the goal of meeting your personal preferences, and not competing towards some sort of empirical set of qualities labeled integrity, elegance, and robustness of gaming system, in which case please ignore this paragraph.

Cyber-Dave, your appreciation of Warhammer for its non-numeric conflict resolution system - with pictographic dice - inspired me. Being a purist, I explored how to resolve all conflicts by means of a coin toss. I game up with a system of coin pools. I had to go thru some wild (and fascinating!) calculations to come up with a system that is balanced at any level. I did it. For all of its extreme number-crunching calculations, the end result made me a appreciate the power of the d20 system in a new way. The granularity of coin toss system is about the same as of the d20 system, except the d20 is more consistent. Even so, I have to admit there is something appealing, pure, and addictive about resolving conflicts with pictures of heads or tails. It really does evoke a different state of mind.

Warhammer's gaming system is a little more complicated then merely tossing coins. Indeed, it uses 6, 8, and 10 sided dice. It merely happens to utilize dice with pictures instead of numbers. The end result is something that I happen to think is both statistically consistent, granular, and manages to evoke the "different state of mind" you are describing. The fact that dice rolls in warhammer manage to convey so much more information than merely "you succeed/critically succeed or you fail/critically fail" is key. The amount of variable results possible as a result of any single roll are so much more robust than what is offered by any other game system I have seen. It isn't my favorite game (that honor goes to Eclipse Phase, because I think it has one of the most interesting/intelligent settings I have ever seen, because sci-fi is my first love, and because its rule system seems quick and easy to use), but I do think it has the best, or at least most interesting, dice mechanic of any game I have played (Eclipse Phase has a very strong/neat and simple dice system, but ultimately it is still only capable of resolving situations via the standard "you succeed/critically succeed or you fail/critically fail" options that numeric resolution systems are capable of providing).

1) Eclipse Phase
2) Pathfinder
3) Shadowrun
4) Cthulhutech

Shemeska the Marauder, Freelancer 5 / Yugoloth 10

1) Eclipse Phase
2) Pathfinder
3) Shadowrun
4) Cthulhutech

Pssst... you are supposed to keep listing until you hit 4e D&D. :P

Though, I do find it kind of neat that your first and 3rd choices are the same as my own.

1) Eclipse Phase
2) Pathfinder
3) Shadowrun
4) Cthulhutech

Pssst... you are supposed to keep listing until you hit 4e D&D. :P

Though, I do find it kind of neat that your first and 3rd choices are the same as my own.

I've seen Shem's other posts.  Probably aren't that many numbers ...
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I'm glad someone else posted Earthdawn (although I haven't read the 3rd edition yet). If you ever want to play a fantasy RPG where the rules of the world and the rules of the game seemlessly intertwine, that's the game.

1. Earthdawn
2. D&D 3.x / PF
3. M&M SECOND EDITION (not first, not third)
4. D&D 4th
5. TSR's Dragonlance SAGA system
6. FATE (2nd and 3rd)

It also has to be hands down the best sci-fi RPG I have ever seen (both in terms of mechanics and setting).

Is there:
A.) Power armor?
B.) No chance of your character dying during character creation a-la Traveller?

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
For those who are interested in Eclipse Phase I recomend you download the books for free (and it's legal!) from one of the dev's website, Rob Boyle, here. There is no escuse to miss out on this phenominal game. ;)
-I got ran over my a squirrel the other day. -I'm going to steal my own idea. -My fruits of labor are not fruits... *sniff* they're vegetables. *sobs*
For game mechanics:

1. Savage Worlds 

2. D&D 4E

3. Alternity

4. D&D 3.x

For game settings:

1. Unknown Armies

2. Dark Sun 

3. Planescape 

4. Star Drive

5. Eclipse Phase 

6. Eberron