08/11/2011 FtL: "Supply and Command"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

No Swans of Bryn Argoll to go with Nin the Pain artist? That's the first synergy that came to mind with her
not that it is relevant to anything, but i'm very pleased with the nod to Sunn O)))
:-)
which, besides, their creepy music fits nicely with feelings i get from the blood arbiter.
I also dig the Sun O))) reference.
The Vish Kal list shows promise but the mana curve is a bit awkward. I didn't care much for the other decks. The Kaalia one is going to lose if you don't get Kaalia out. Looks like the plan is to mulligan every time until you get her. :/
12 of the 24 lands in the Nin deck are filter lands (Cascade Bluffs, etc.), and another 4 lands (Reliquary Tower) don't produce colored mana.  In the sample hand generator, I had one hand where my first four lands were Reliquary Tower, Cascade Bluffs, Graven Cairns, Sunken Ruins.  Once you have a way of producing the initial colored mana, you have to use all your filter lands that phase; you can't save mana for later in the turn or your opponent's turn.  Having this many filter lands in a deck is a recipe for disaster.
Holy crud, Noel, I knew you had fine musical taste from the references in your other articles, but seeing that glorious O))) put you over the top. Gotta give you mad proppage for that, man.

I've really enjoyed all these 60 card Commander decks, too. Fun times.