War Forged Vampire

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
One of my players who I got to become a DnD insider just cracked open the character builder and sent me his first toon for up coming campainge I told him anything was allowed within basic house rules that he knows wich are few and far between.Anyways he sends me a War Forged Vampire....call me a harsh DM but to me I dont think that should exist without a small novel for a background.Any opinions or ideas for my players background or how I should handle the issue.

I don't see why you shouldn't let him do it. Just ask him to explain what in the world is up with his character. There are a lot of really cool ways that it could go. Even the laziest "Neither my character nor I knows why my character has these powers" is practically an invitation to create quite an interesting story arch.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Hmm...that idea is just begging a backstory. Have him sit down and think about WHY his warfoged is a vampire. Is it a 'virus' he caught...he *is* a machine after all. Or maybe he self-installed fangs? Or maybe his creator was a crazy artificer who wanted to make an abomniation so horrible that for it to survive it had to take the life essence from a living being, its 'electrical life' as it were...because vampires in 4ed don't *really* drink blood (not unless you WANT your character to) but they steal/borrow the healing surges of others.

Just have him have fun with it...and make sure he has a good reason as to why his character is the way it is. Don't just say OK and give in...if it's a truely strange character idea, make him put in a little thought behind it.
Here are some background ideas that you could suggest to your player should he not have an idea of one. 

- A vampire artificer wanted to get rid of his vampirism by attempting to transfer his consciousness into a warforged body. Part of the magical experiment involved the transfusion of bodily fluids from him to the warforged. The experiment failed, his consciousness was lost but somehow his vampiric qualities manifested in the warforged.

- Alternatively, the experiment succeeded in transferring his consciousness but failed to get rid of the vampire curse. Another side-effect was amnesia and as he was in shock when he awoke and fled his castle, he can't even remember much of that either.

- Or he was the first prototype of a vampire lords special shock troops. These warforged would not be sentient and would drain his enemies blood but not consume it. So that by the end of any battle they would be walking blood banks for him to have. Unfortunately, the prototype became sentient and ran away.

- Or a vampire cult tries to resurrect one of their lost dead ancient lords. The only type of body that could survive the powerful energies of the ritual is a warforged one. However by the end of the ritual, the warforged awakes as a vampire but with no memories of being a vampire lord. Since they failed to bring back their lord, they decided to destroy this abomination (in their eyes) but it mananged to flee and has been on the run since.

You could even have the lord or cult show up occasionally throughout your campaign to either capture or destroy him.
There's nothing to limit him from doing this in the rules, so at best he should just have a good character concept to go with it. Plus it also gives you carte-blanche to go nuts with other robotic monster enemies. Robot Wearwolves and Digital Spectres for the win
First, warforged aren't robots.  They're golems.  Golems with organic (plant like) insides, metal/stone/wooden skeletal peices and they grow their "metal" shell.  I say "metal" because when a warforged dies their exoskeleton can't be salvaged for rare metals.

Since vampires more lifeforce vampires than blood suckers, it's perfectly feasible.  Maybe that's how they were created.  Maybe he's just cursed.  Maybe while walking through the meadow he fell in a pool of shadowstuff and now he has to consume lifeforce to survive.

In short, there's no reason at all not to allow it other than personal bias. 

Warforged are living constructs animated by magic. They have organic components.

There's absolutely no reason why the character wasn't just built to be a vampire. 

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I never questioned it being allowed I just said it needed a great background to go with it and wanted some ideas. I also never argued over the components or makings of a warforged that flame was from somewhere elese entirely heh

Sorry if I came accross as hostile.  I just get frustrated with the people that can't get past warforged are robots thinking.

I guess I have some contention with why you would even ask the question.  Let me take a step back and start fresh.

Would you ask the same questions if it was a human/elven/dwarven vampire?  If so, then I hope your players come up with a great story and you all have a great game.  If not, please ask yourself why are requiring this combination to have one.  If you decide you want a backstory (all characters should have a backstory IMO), please don't be overly critical or break out the "no" because it doesn't make sense to you.  If thier story is a bit off of how you would like your campaign to work, then work with the player to tweak it until your both satisfied.

Now I have this idea of some diabolical wizard creating hordes of vampire constructs to leach life force from the world and return it to him to fuel his imortality machine.

Happy Gaming. 
This community and more particularly this sub-forum is for character development and the breeding of idea's I never questioned myself I questioned my player then the community.WHY I questioned is because maybe someone might have a really good idea for maybe something I could put in a game or an idea my player might like more then his own. Again I came here asking for opinions and I respect yours just don't get too heated over small things.
Mabey it was an attempt to keep a vampire lord for reserecting by bonding his body to anouther soul, by way of using his body as parts for a warforged?
daww my thread stole you forum virginity

Now I have this idea of some diabolical wizard creating hordes of vampire constructs to leach life force from the world and return it to him to fuel his imortality machine.

I had planned to play a Vampire Warforged for the last season of Encounters, so I have been down this road already. It's a tough one.

No, warforged aren't robots, and yes, they do have some organic parts. But there's no logical reason that they should be capable of being infected by blood-borne diseases such as lycanthropy and vampirism. So that means that the warforged vampire practically MUST be a psychic vampire rather than a sanguine vampire.

But that still leaves the ridiculous class "feature" that allows your character to be destroyed by the sun. For the average character, this class feature is stupid enough. Any drawback that can be completely circumvented by a 1st level character using common gear really isn't a drawback at all.

So really, the only time this drawback is going to come into play is when the DM decides, "oh, your cloak has been torn off" ... in which case the penalty is character death. Not an attack penalty, or a saving throw, or something that you might still fend off, but sudden, irrevocable, no-save-allowed character death. Maybe that kind of thing flies at the Gygaxian D&D tables of yesteryear, but I was under the impression that one of the concepts behind 4th edition mechanics design was to eliminate this sort of thing.

So, yeah... stupid class feature. But for the warforged, is becomes even more obnoxious. The warforged isn't covered in soft skin that can become pale and sensitive to the light; it's covered in metal plating and sinews and wood grain that is not about to burst into flames or turn to dust without the application of extremely potent fire magic. Thus, in order for this class feature to make sense, the warforged must have been purposely built to be destroyed by sunlight.

What artificer is going to do that??

"At last! the perfect killing machine! It is driven by an internal hunger and capable of sapping the very life force from its foes!"
"But master, what if..."
"Yes, yes, I know! Someone might turn it against me. That's why I've moved to this sunny tropical isle!"
"Erm... what?"
"Isn't it obvious? I've enchanted it to be utterly destroyed by that touch of a single stray sunbeam! Bwahahaha! I am brilliant!"
"Oh... kay... I'm going to go look in the Evil Minions Classified Section now, see if maybe there are any openings in Thay..."

Ridiculous, amirite?

So here's my idea for playing a purpose-built vampire warforged: reverse the drawback. With your DM's permission, make your warforged vampire's self-repair processes solar-powered. When outside during the day, your character is just fine - even the minimal sun that lights the sky on a rainy day is enough to keep you going. But in a lightless space or at night, your character can not spend healing surges without magical assistance - ergo, no second wind and no spending healing surges for free between encounters.

What's that? An actual drawback that makes some sort of logical sense, provides an actual challenge, and isn't circumvented by a trivial note on your character sheet? Insanity!

Ahem... sorry about the boldings and the italicizing and the GLAIVEN, but poorly-designed mechanics really frustrate me...
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
       Well the only thing about the death by sunlight detail is that I think its there more over as a RP mechanic thing anything else or I hope it is....that and they are sticking to the lore. It's not like they came up with the vampire mythos. On the other hand would you rather them sparkle in the sun and date the local wench?

All that aside I already talked to my player about the sunlight thing I took from my VTm days and basically when the sunlight hits him he starts making death saving throws to get to cover and he wants his warforged to be a vampire artificers creation.

His basic theme is he was sent into the world to find a cure for destruction by sunlight. He is looking for technologies old and new and he is telepathically linked with his master at all times. This is a "good" campainge so he made his vampire lord only interested in finding technolgy and what better way to explore the world then with an adventuring group.

It is not immediate destruction by sunlight.  If you end your turn in direct sunlight, you take 5 radiant damage (which triggers the vuln 5 radiant.)  If this damage takes you below 1 hp, you are instantly destroyed.  So, you have at least one round in which to find cover or to get out of the sunlight.
This community and more particularly this sub-forum is for character development and the breeding of idea's I never questioned myself I questioned my player then the community.WHY I questioned is because maybe someone might have a really good idea for maybe something I could put in a game or an idea my player might like more then his own. Again I came here asking for opinions and I respect yours just don't get too heated over small things.

Allow me to break from the pack: a warforged vampire is a dumb idea. There; I said it.
Pretty much everything you need to know about CharOps philosophy:
57974908 wrote:
70156763 wrote:
Either you don't realize there's a point between the two extremes (boring and optimized) or you consider everything that's not the former to be the latter.
Bingo, and anyone who knows anything about 4e knows that is exactly the state of the game right now.

Allow me to break from the pack: a warforged vampire is a dumb idea. There; I said it.

And how so, pray tell would it be such a "dumb idea"?

And how so, pray tell would it be such a "dumb idea"?

Thematic clash. There are interesting stories to be told as a Warforged, and there are interesting stories to be told as a vampire, but both have very strong and unique themes. Too much and things get muddied. When you're telling a story, the first question is always "what's the story about?" And roleplaying - when it's at it's best - is storytelling. So what is this character's story about? Being a vampire opens up a lot of interesting stories you can explore about self-control, loss, regret, or lots of other things. Warforged are interesting too, and have a lot of interesting stories themselves. But a Warforged Vampire? Too many muddied themes, and some of those themes that are essential to being either will get lost in the limited time that you have around a table every week or two.

Here's the other thing. If you keep piling on cool stuff, eventually it becomes dumb. When I think of Warforged Vampire I think of Rex Ready:

RexREady

He's a time traveling secret agent dinosaur. T-Rex? Cool. Time travel? Cool. Secret Agents? Also cool! Put it all together? Well, the folks at Penny Arcade have said they invented him just to be a "bad, dumb thing." And they succeeded!

Now, don't get me wrong, it's a funny concept. I really like Rex Ready, in the same way I like Jim Cary movies. But it's not because he's an interesting character in a humerous situation. No, it's because the concept, the character itself, is a joke from the get-go. And, hey, if you want to play a joke character, that's fine! A lot of people like that kind of thing. Hell, I like that kind of thing sometimes. They even made a whole game around it. But I wouldn't want a joke character in an Eberron game, or any kind of serious D&D game for that matter. If I sat down to play a dark and gritty points of light game, and another character arrived with a Warforged Vampire, I'd be annoyed (more at the DM than the player, though, for not letting me know what kind of game it was).

But that's just me. Maybe a Warforged Vampire is the kind of thing his group will love. Maybe they play light, humerous games. That's cool. Nothing wrong with it. But the character itself is dumb. As in Dumb and Dumber dumb. I love Dumb and Dumber, though, so hey. Could be a lot of fun!

Harry: "It gets worse Lloyd. My parakeet, Petey? He's dead! His head fell off!"
Lloyd: "His head fell off!?"
Harry: "Yeah, he was pretty old."

Pretty much everything you need to know about CharOps philosophy:
57974908 wrote:
70156763 wrote:
Either you don't realize there's a point between the two extremes (boring and optimized) or you consider everything that's not the former to be the latter.
Bingo, and anyone who knows anything about 4e knows that is exactly the state of the game right now.

Hey!  Guess what?  EVANGELION.  There ya go, three (and many more!) warforged vampires.  Get over it. Wink

Warforged grow their "metal" shells, so I'd say it's no different than skin or the exoskeleton of a thri-kreen vampire.

I remember reading that warforged have a circulatory system of sustaining fluids that pumps through their body.  I dont' think it's too big of a stretch to say that they can consume blood.  I could see an arcane warforged eating a few gold worth of residium every time they do an extended rest to restore their magic pool.  It's all a flavor thing.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Jobe, level 2
Warforged, Vampire
Alchemical Blood Option: Alchemical Blood (Necrotic)
Theme: Explorer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 13, DEX 18, INT 12, WIS 8, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 14

AC: 20 Fort: 13 Ref: 15 Will: 15
HP: 30 Surges: 2 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +10, Religion +7, Stealth +10, Thievery +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +2, Athletics +1, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +0, Endurance +4, Heal +0, History +2, Insight +0, Nature +0, Perception +0, Streetwise +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Explorer Utility: Surefooted Stride
Warforged Racial Power: Warforged Resolve
Vampire Attack: Blood Drinker
Vampire Attack 1: Swarm of Shadows
Vampire Attack 1: Dark Beckoning
Vampire Attack 1: Taste of Life
Vampire Attack 1: Vampire Slam
Religion Utility 2: Faith Healing

FEATS
Level 1: Alchemical Blood
Level 2: Unarmored Agility

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Magic Ki Focus +1 x1
Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1 x1

and there he is..figured I would share. 

Bards are a dumb idea, too, but people enjoy playing them.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
A game where you pretend to be a magical elf who can throw fireballs, and I pretend to be a 100lb woman who is strong enough to swing a warhammer the size of a small car, and he pretends to be a short, bearded guy with an axe and a drinking problem, and we all pretend to slay princesses and rescue dragons (or whatever)... is all pretty dumb, when you stop to think about it.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

So, yeah... stupid class feature. But for the warforged, is becomes even more obnoxious. The warforged isn't covered in soft skin that can become pale and sensitive to the light; it's covered in metal plating and sinews and wood grain that is not about to burst into flames or turn to dust without the application of extremely potent fire magic. Thus, in order for this class feature to make sense, the warforged must have been purposely built to be destroyed by sunlight.

What artificer is going to do that??

Purposely built to be destoryed by sunlight?  Perhaps.

Or...., perhaps the magic, alchemical, and/or unobtainium used to power the vampiric warforged and enable its vampiric properties are susceptible to rapid photodegradation in the same way that silver chloride decomposes when exposed to light.  It's thematically appropriate that some vital component hails only from from the darkest places of the Underdark, the Shadowfell, or some other thematically necro/evil-heavy location where light can't reach.

Likewise, considering that we're talking about making a vampiric warforged, it's not farfetched that one might include some actual radiant-vulnerable undead material, which already exists in a fragile state of life and death before being forcibly grafted to such a unlikely host of still-living plant tissue.

But why go through all this trouble?

The sunlight vulnerability could simply be an unforseen consequence.  Very few things work perfectly in beta.  That's the kind of problem that R&D is suppose to solve.  Give that artificier a bit more time and funding and your vampiric Protoman will eventually be obsoleted.

Even the whole vampiric thing could be a fluke, with the original goal being something different, such as attempting to intergrate some other properties of undead creatures without their inherent vulnerabilities.

Perhaps there's some other reason based more on fluff than the class's mechanics that would make creating a vampiric warforged worth it, even with the sunlight vulnerability.  You created an artificial being that drains life energy.  If you can't think of some use for a life energy collecting machine, then you're simply not thinking like a villain.

Or one of many other reasons.

But that's just me. Maybe a Warforged Vampire is the kind of thing his group will love. Maybe they play light, humerous games. That's cool. Nothing wrong with it. But the character itself is dumb. As in Dumb and Dumber dumb. I love Dumb and Dumber, though, so hey. Could be a lot of fun!

Yes, your right.  The concept of a sentient construction built to suck the soul-stuff out of countless mortals and leave them as empty, life-less husks is hilarious.  Especially when those people die horrible deaths never to return to their friends and family.  Laugh riot.  And when everyone finds out what dark, Warlock-esqe purpose all that life energy will be used for, its a forgone conclusion that sitcom-ish antics will ensue.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
he could just be a warforged who is powered by blood... maybe by mistake or design- who knows? Think of the Talos - it had a vein with ichor/blood running though it that fuelled it.

I would just see 'drinking blood' as 'refuelling' rather than the usual notions of vampire-ness. As in you are a robot that works on blood not a vampire robot.  

GOLEM.
NOS482 was a robot vampire and he turned out fine. Ok, he was limited to infecting other robots and machinery, but he ran with it.

But really, as long as you have a reasonable backstory, I don't see the big deal. I like the rare sun-sensitive materials bit up above, I might run with that whenever I get a chance to use MY Warforged Vampire.
I was under the impression that Warforged have Plant-like matter inside them, so maybe its creator used a twig blight or a blood thorn vine.
Thereby creating a construct with a thirst for blood.
Genius Operated Living Elemental Manifestation?

Gnome in a Warforged suit.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I was under the impression that Warforged have Plant-like matter inside them, so maybe its creator used a twig blight or a blood thorn vine.
Thereby creating a construct with a thirst for blood.

Awesome idea.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.

I could see a warforged vampire.

What if it was commissioned to be built by a drow house as the ultimate assassin?  It's a magical construct plated in underdark irradiated adamantite, with motive structures woven out of a high tensile strength, flexible carnivorous fungus and an endoskeleton carved from the stone of a sacrificial altar.  The altar's stone was the perfect substance onto which to graft the fungus, as its pores were saturated with blood and suffering over the course of the hundreds of years it spent installed in the temple.

The result is a construct that requires blood to fuel and repair itself.  The construct's fibrous fungal "muscles" can't withstand exposure to sunlight, which makes it dry and brittle almost instantly.  Another unfortunate side effect of its unique construction materials was that it acquired self awareness - the thousands of souls liberated on the stone altar left traces of themselves behind, and when the thing was animated, the accumulated life essence coalesced and inhabited those structures designed by its creator to receive and process its commands.  The result was something more independant than any normal automaton - it had the capability to improvise in the execution of its orders, but it also had the ability to question those orders.  It had a very intimate understanding of suffering, and thus refused to cause any more on the orders of Lolth's priestesses.

What good is an assassin automaton with a conscience and a will of its own?  The project was considered by the patron house to be a dismal failure.  The construct's creator was tortured to death on the newly installed altar in what would be remembered as one of the longest sacrificial ceremonies in the history of the faith, and the automaton was deactivated with extreme prejudice and thrown into the charnel pit like the corpse of any other disobedient slave.

For a few months it lay in the charnel pit, ignored by the carrion crawlers as they stripped the flesh off the other refuse.  Then one morning, a slave who was dying, but not yet dead was shovelled into the pit along with a pile of corpses.  As the poor soul bled out, the construct was bathed in the blood of a living creature.  It was reawakened, and fed on rats and carrion crawlers until it had the strength to escape the pit and flee the underdark.

It has found its way to the surface, determined never to kill again.  However, it needs blood to sustain itself, and it is built for infiltration and murder, so it works as an adventurer.  It moves from place to place, staying for as long as it can and working with whoever will have it.  It dreams of building a subterranean cattle ranch, where it can trade out its vivisecting attachments for farming tooltips, raising rothe upon which to feed so it can stop preying on thinking creatures.  Maybe it can even find a partner - it would be a shame to let all that meat go to waste, and the underdark is a lonely place.  Even necromechanical infiltration and vivisection devices need friends.

"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
what interesting flavor in this thread for how too make this work <3

now makes me wonder about how a Sunsoul Genasi Vampire could be flavored to function >w> 

now makes me wonder about how a Sunsoul Genasi Vampire could be flavored to function >w> 

Play him focused on balance and have the yin-yang as his personal symbol.  Smile

Well that could be the whole point of his personality.  He was a genasi of the sun that became infected, and now what is essentially his life energy or the core of his being now harms him.  Now he constantly has to work at struggling with it.  Sorta like the yinyang idea Ahrimon had.
       Well the only thing about the death by sunlight detail is that I think its there more over as a RP mechanic thing anything else or I hope it is....that and they are sticking to the lore. It's not like they came up with the vampire mythos. On the other hand would you rather them sparkle in the sun and date the local wench?

How about being just like Bram Stoker and those writers of his generation .. where gee nobody burst in to flames (weakened by sunlight would have been authentic) 

Ofcourse how about worse if your Vampyre borg... I mean Warforged, were weakened when they didnt have sunlight. Ie they use solar energy... heheheehhe  
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I could see a warforged vampire.

What if it was commissioned to be built by a drow house as the ultimate assassin?  It's a magical construct plated in underdark irradiated adamantite, with motive structures woven out of a high tensile strength, flexible carnivorous fungus and an endoskeleton carved from the stone of a sacrificial altar.  The altar's stone was the perfect substance onto which to graft the fungus, as its pores were saturated with blood and suffering over the course of the hundreds of years it spent installed in the temple.

The result is a construct that requires blood to fuel and repair itself.  The construct's fibrous fungal "muscles" can't withstand exposure to sunlight, which makes it dry and brittle almost instantly.  Another unfortunate side effect of its unique construction materials was that it acquired self awareness - the thousands of souls liberated on the stone altar left traces of themselves behind, and when the thing was animated, the accumulated life essence coalesced and inhabited those structures designed by its creator to receive and process its commands.  The result was something more independant than any normal automaton - it had the capability to improvise in the execution of its orders, but it also had the ability to question those orders.  It had a very intimate understanding of suffering, and thus refused to cause any more on the orders of Lolth's priestesses.

What good is an assassin automaton with a conscience and a will of its own?  The project was considered by the patron house to be a dismal failure.  The construct's creator was tortured to death on the newly installed altar in what would be remembered as one of the longest sacrificial ceremonies in the history of the faith, and the automaton was deactivated with extreme prejudice and thrown into the charnel pit like the corpse of any other disobedient slave.

For a few months it lay in the charnel pit, ignored by the carrion crawlers as they stripped the flesh off the other refuse.  Then one morning, a slave who was dying, but not yet dead was shovelled into the pit along with a pile of corpses.  As the poor soul bled out, the construct was bathed in the blood of a living creature.  It was reawakened, and fed on rats and carrion crawlers until it had the strength to escape the pit and flee the underdark.

It has found its way to the surface, determined never to kill again.  However, it needs blood to sustain itself, and it is built for infiltration and murder, so it works as an adventurer.  It moves from place to place, staying for as long as it can and working with whoever will have it.  It dreams of building a subterranean cattle ranch, where it can trade out its vivisecting attachments for farming tooltips, raising rothe upon which to feed so it can stop preying on thinking creatures.  Maybe it can even find a partner - it would be a shame to let all that meat go to waste, and the underdark is a lonely place.  Even necromechanical infiltration and vivisection devices need friends.

I like this, especially as Drow metals tend to be damaged by exposure to sunlight.

I like this, especially as Drow metals tend to be damaged by exposure to sunlight.

That hasn't happened in 11 years.

That hasn't happened in 11 years.

You`ll be telling me next they never lived underground either.

I think it's fairly safe to say that the idea of that metal is still valid in terms of drow history. It's not like, against the law to use older lore about them.
Lots of great ideas in this thread for why build a warforged vampire.

When I read the first post, the first thing that came to mind was something from Repo Man: The Opera. Some kind of medical device-gone-wrong, basically.

As for the sunlight thing:

If the warforged has programming, why not simply make the sun vulnerability a software bug? The warforged is averse to sunlight and, if it stays out in sunlight for too long, it deactivates, permanently. It's not a physical vulnerability, so much as a pure "off switch."

Thanks to the pre-tech nature of the world, and the unfortunate demise of the warforged's original programmer (blood loss... so sad), the character has been unable to resolve some essential algorithm problem that would permit it to be both a vampire *and* immune to sunlight damage. Achieving this miracle could be an epic destiny.

Another option: The vampirism is a result of the sunlight vulnerability. The warforged is designed to be solar-powered. However, a glitch in the system, or perhaps a curse, rendered this warforged vulnerable to sunlight. The warforged must go through its life cloaked from the sun-- which includes obscuring its solar panels. As a result, it had to find an alternate source of power-- healing surges.

If the warforged has programming,

Warforged to not have programming.  They are not robots.  They are golems.  They are free-willed.

Warforged to not have programming.  They are not robots.  They are golems.  They are free-willed.

And the clone troopers were living beings.  They're still programmed, in the sense that they come off the creche with all the knowledge they need to function already in place.  "Programming" does not automatically entail "robot."  

Golems in myth and folklore are frequently programmed and the traditional Hebrew golem was controlled through writing placed inside the golem's mouth.

And it is possible to have both programming and free will. Anyone who doubts this just needs to have their mother call and nag them for a half hour about something.

It's also possible (and I'm going out on a limb here) for a DM and a player to decide together that the warforged has some kind of internal programming.
Sign In to post comments