Reliable way to deal fire damage to yourself?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was looking at the power Pheonix Step and wondering if there is a reliable way to deal fire damage to yourself -- through item/power/feature whatever. Does anyone know of some?

I want to avoid just attacking yourself with fire powers since that will eat your standard action...although I suppose you could include yourself in the AoE (if it is one). I would prefer ways that work as free or interrupt actions.

Thanks!

Devil's pawn theme let's you make a firey zone.
Numee's(?) Atonment let's you take damage that you delt to an ally.

You could also start a campfire. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Step 1: obtain torch.

Step 2: grab hot end.

Step 3: burn/profit. 
what class are you? I know as a wizard there are several ways like flaming sphere.
what class are you? I know as a wizard there are several ways like flaming sphere.

Wasn't concerned with a particular class...since you can get pheonix step through Order Adept (theme). That leaves more options.

Oil flask
Pour oil on self
Light oil on fire
Burn for the duration of the encounter.
I'm playing a magma sould genasi in a home campaign. They have a racial feature that let's th em deal +1d6 extra fire damage on melee attacks, if they took fire damage until end of next turn. We're going with the torch variant, but it's house ruled, so not LFR legal.

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

I'm sure you could find book support for ongoing mundane fire damage. If you can find some way of resisting fire (which is easy) you could even light yourself on fire and ignore it, depending on whether or not resisting more fire damage than you take still counts as taking fire damage. My DM rules you still take at least 1 damage from ongoing damage, even if you resist it, but I think that might be a house rule.
That's definitely a houserule, you can absolutely reduce ongoing damage to 0.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Also, you HAVE to save against it.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I doubt it'll take more than a minor to light yourself again. Kind've silly, as far as in-character actions go.

1: Aaah! I'm on fire! Put me out put me out put me out
2: Crap, I'm not on fire anymore. FWOOOSH
3: GOTO 1

Debatably, you could use the miss effect on a fire-admixtured Gift to Avernus (Dragon 386) to deal fire damage to yourself ("debatably" because I read an argument contending that it is not the power which is dealing the damage in this case). 

Do not accept anything in this statement as authoritative! This is my first time posting in Charop - I am just an ordinary poster trying to provide a creative solution to the best of my ability. 

Hope you find something,

TheHumanHydra 
Demogorgon ain't got nothin' on me.
This requires some DM fiat, but here it is anyway:

If your DM sets up an encounter with an Elite Flame Jet (6 fire-shooting wall traps), destroy the control panel (so that no one can disable the trap using it, but the trap will keep operating), and proceed to carve out the room itself. Carry the jets around on Tenser's disks or similar (there is a 10x10 version in Arcane Power, I believe). Each round they will fire a close blast that deals fire damage, even on a miss. That should trigger the Magmasoul bonus 6 times per round, more if you can find more jets and create an overhead rig. Be careful with their placement though if your DM rules that the jets can damage or degrade each other.

It's not within character purview entirely, but it's rather creative and interesting at the least, and it has the side-effect of generating several flame blasts around you, essentially giving you a small aura (except versus minions).
That's a very creative solution Nox_Noctis and it's really cool. My DM does not like charop however, so i doubt he will agree. But you made me realise something - that magmasoul stacks with itself! The extra firedamage is "extra damage", not  bonus damage. The restrictions of stacking only apply to bonuses (like stuff from the same named game element).

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!