The Cheeseslayer

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
"Sometimes, I dream about cheese."

Gentlemen
, I bring to you, the latest in an ongoing series of unapologetic cheese builds:

The Cheeseslayer.

Like its cousin, the Cheesesinger, this build combines four kinds of cheese (Chargecheese, Dilettantecheese, Polearmcheese and Frostcheese) into a wholesome delicious package of cheddary cheapness, charging, marking the target, and sliding 8 and proning it across the room for a follow up charge next turn. Anyone who tries to move adjacent suffers the same fate, with the Cheeseslayer having an additional +3 to hit the hapless mob, almost guaranteeing that it'll go flying. This is doubly true if Martial Supremacy is active, allowing two chances to hit.

Basic Attack:

+39 to hit (+40 on a charge; +42 with Berserker's Charge, +42 on an OA), +41 with CA (+42 on a charge; +44 with Berserker's Charge, +44 on an OA). 3d6+2d8+54 damage (), slides 7, knocks prone, and either does hefty bonus damage (+4 to +8), gains a +2 to the attack roll and speed on a charge, allows you to move 7 as a free action, or makes two attack rolls taking the better result. +3d6 bonus damage on a charge. 19-20 crit range. Anyone hit takes 9 damage the next time they try to attack you. Anyone hit you can hit back as an Immediate Reaction with White Lotus Master Riposte. Slides each enemy adjacent 1 square on a power attack (great synergy with Mobile Blade). Usable once per encounter as a minor.

Build Tricks:

The Flyby: Charge an enemy, slide it 7 squares away and prone, then fly 7 squares into the air away from it with Mobile Blade + Zephyr Boots. If the enemy is melee only, or has only range 10 attacks or less, you will probably be immune to retaliation (needs a move action to get up, usually can't move into range _and_ initiate a ranged attack).

The Golf Swing: This build loves flying enemies because it can slide them 7 squares into the air and then prone them for a free 3d10 worth of bonus damage minimum. Obviously you can also use this to hit people into death zones, or a friendly Wizard's Storm Pillar on an OA or Immediate attack.

DPR (does _not_ factor in Power Strike):

Martial Supremacy, Charge:

((4.5*3)+(3.5*6)+16+18+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.105+((3.5*3)+(4.5*2)+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.8925 = 82.45125 per Eldritch Strike. 

Martial Supremacy, OA:

((4.5*3)+(3.5*6)+16+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.105+((4.5*2)+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.8925 = 71.19 per Eldritch Strike.

Martial Supremacy: Assuming 1 Charge + 1 White Lotus Riposte + 1 White Lotus Master Riposte + 1 OA each round = 224.83125 DPR 

Other Stances Charge:

((4.5*3)+(3.5*6)+16+18+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.10+((3.5*3)+(4.5*2)+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.85 = 78.525-86.125 per Eldritch Strike (+4 or 8 depending on Stance).

Other Stances OA:

((4.5*3)+(3.5*6)+16+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.10+((4.5*2)+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.85 = 67.8-75.4 per Eldritch Strike (+4 or 8 depending on Stance).

Other Stances: Assuming 1 Charge + 1 White Lotus Riposte + 1 White Lotus Master Riposte + 1 OA each round = 214.125-236.925 DPR

Utilities:

Kirre's Roar and Glowering Threat both ensure mobs cannot ignore you.

Clearheaded combined with Superior Will and the Destined Scion saving throw bonus helps make certain you never spend turns dazed and stunned.

Slayer's Defiance makes for a great nova round with Quicked Spellcasting Eldritch Strike.

Stances:

Mobile Blade allows you to move like a scalded cat as a free action whenever you hit anyone with your Eldritch Strike anytime (including Polearm Gamble opportunity attacks).

Martial Supremacy allows you to roll twice for each Eldritch Strike hit every encounter, making this an efficient crit-fisher, besides being deadly accurate.

The other stances feature more conventional damage benefits.

Paragon Path:

Kensai affords +1 accuracy and +4 damage.

AC starts at 45 (+2 item bonus from Ring of Teros not factored), becomes 48 with Marauder's on a charge. Permanent concealment from Shadowband.

As before, I did not concern myself overtly with feat order.

It's not different at all, IS IT STEVE?!

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 30 
Half-Elf, Slayer, Polearm Master, Destined Scion
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Slayer Weapon Specialization: Sweeping Sword
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Constitution)
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Dexterity)
Half-Elf Power Selection: Dilettante
Arcane Admixture Power: Eldritch Strike
Quickened Spellcasting: Eldritch Strike
Background: Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much (Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much Benefit)
Theme: Iron Wolf Warrior

FINAL ABILITY SCORES Str 15, Con 28, Dex 24, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES Str 13, Con 16, Dex 15, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 12.

AC: 43 Fort: 48 Reflex: 46 Will: 42 HP: 217 Surges: 18 Surge Value: 54

TRAINED SKILLS: Athletics +21, Endurance +28, Intimidate +22, Arcana +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS:Acrobatics +21, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +19, Dungeoneering +18, Heal +18, History +15, Insight +20, Nature +20, Perception +20, Religion +15, Stealth +21, Streetwise +17, Thievery +21

FEATS:
Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise
Level 2: Wintertouched
Level 4: Martial Flexibility
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Weapon Proficiency (Talenta Sharrash)
Level 10: Defending Dabbler (retrained to White Lotus Riposte at Level 12)
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Arcane Prodigy
Level 14: Arcane Admixture
Level 16: Polearm Momentum
Level 18: Lasting Frost
Level 20: Wicked Blade
Level 21: Polearm Gamble
Level 22: Quickened Spellcasting
Level 24: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 26: Epic Will
Level 28: Silvery Glow
Level 30: Superior Will

POWERS
Dilettante: Eldritch Strike
Slayer utility 1: Mobile Blade
Slayer utility 1: Battle Wrath
Slayer utility 2: Glowering Threat
Slayer utility 6: Kirre's Roar
Slayer utility 7: Berserker's Charge
Slayer utility 10: Clearheaded
Slayer utility 16: Relentless Advance
Slayer utility 17: Duelist's Assault
Slayer utility 22: Slayer's Defiance

ITEMS:
Staggering Talenta Sharrash +6 (silvered),
Marauder's Roc Hide Armor +6,
Horned Helm (epic tier),
Bracers of Mighty Striking (epic tier),
Gloves of Ice (epic tier),
Diamond Cincture (epic tier),
Golden Ring of Teros(epic tier) OR Ring of Free Time (epic tier)
Shadow Band (epic tier),
Zephyr Boots (epic tier),
Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier),
Badge of the Berserker +6,
Diamond Scabbard (epic tier),
Dice of Auspicious Fortune (paragon tier),
Solitaire (Aquamarine) (paragon tier),
Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier),
Bahamut's Protective Ward (level 28),
Salve of Power (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
I'm under the impression Slayers are forced into their level 22 utility power: Martial Supremacy is a no-go.
What? Was it written as a class feature?
Yea you either have to use the slayer power or use a power swap feat to pick up another power (or something similar).  Same thing goes for level 16 as well.

That's my recollection, yes.  Double checking.
EDIT: Yes, the class feature is named "Slayer's Defiance", and it reads "Benefit: You gain the Slayer's Defiance power."

So no swapping.  Most Essentials classes have utility levels like this, you've always got to check for it.

Yes both level 16 and 22 utilities are called as class features by name and not just as utility powers like the rest.  So you must take those powers or use a feat or similar ability to swap them.
Yes both level 16 and 22 utilities are called as class features by name and not just as utility powers like the rest.  So you must take those powers or use a feat or similar ability to swap them.

According to the rules for swapping powers, you can't trade out powers granted by class features, so... you're stuck with em.  You also can't get Warding Steel, as noted above.  EDIT: Reread the power swap rules, and I guess you can swap them, since they have levels, but you've have to swap them for a non-fighter power via a multiclass: there's no way to swap them for the powers you have listed.
Oh well. Slayer's Defiance is solid, but it's no Martial Supremacy.

Relentless Advance is underwhelming to put it mildly, especially given this build is already ridiculously mobile.
The one major, major problem with this: you lose out on trading power strike for rain of blows, which kills your nova potential.  It's pretty good, but the equivalent STR-slayer is usually going to be better overall, and can still accomplish most of the same vulnerability tricks.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
STR Slayer equivalent can't get Slide 8 + frostcheese + marking + White Lotus Riposte together (must choose Staggering or Frost, cannot get marks or WLR; not sure if STR Slayer can even get the slide 1 for their MBA while still abusing frostcheese). Rain of Blows doesn't work as well with a polearm user, unless that user is opting for a Greatspear (which precludes Staggering). Obviously raw, non-reactive damage output has taken a backseat to control, but off-turn immediate action attacks (due to Defending Dabbler + L16 PP) and damage compensate + the long range slide, proning, WLR and automark. Further, Eldritch Strike as a minor action helps shore up the build's nova performance.
So, basically, you're happy trading some punch for some control.  Got it =)
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
You can trade Slayer's Defiance for Martial Supremacy with the Martial Flexibility feat.
You can trade Slayer's Defiance for Martial Supremacy with the Martial Flexibility feat.

Ah, perfect. Can't believe I forgot about that. This build just got a lot better.

-Swapped Hafted Defense for Martial Flexibility, gaining the insanely powerful Martial Supremacy.

-Improved the damage and accuracy output by dropping Polearm Master for Kensai. On a charge Cheeseslayer hits 95% of the time. Cheeseslayer still obviously hits 95% of the time on opportunity attacks.

-Build is now rocking White Lotus Master Riposte for its immediate action sink, dropping Dabbling Dilettant.
Added DPR calcs to OP.

Martial Supremacy: Assuming 1 Charge + 1 White Lotus Riposte + 1 White Lotus Master Riposte + 1 OA each round = 221.86125 DPR 

Other Stances: Assuming 1 Charge + 1 White Lotus Riposte + 1 White Lotus Master Riposte + 1 OA each round = 211.725-234.525 DPR

Was Martial Supremacy changed recently?  Last time I checked the power, it gave you a reroll for MBAs and at-wills, but you had to use the second result.  Is that still the case?
Hmm, that's true. I think I'll have to lower the crit probability in that case; the net chance to hit remains the same though (you obviously always choose to reroll on a natural 1).
Crit probability lowered to .105, assuming you only reroll on a natural 1, and DPR calcs adjusted.
Ahh that's a shame.  I was hoping that it was errataed since I've been looking for a way to get double rolls on MBAs for critfishing.  Ahh well Cry
Added a 'Build Tricks' section, currently featuring the 'Flyby' and 'Golf Swing'.
Swapped out Epic Reflexes for Silvery Glow, increasing the calculated DPR by ~12.
"Sometimes, I dream about cheese."

Gentlemen
, I bring to you, the latest in an ongoing series of unapologetic cheese builds:

The Cheeseslayer.

Like its cousin, the Cheesesinger, this build combines four kinds of cheese (Chargecheese, Dilettantecheese, Polearmcheese and Frostcheese) into a wholesome delicious package of cheddary cheapness, charging, marking the target, and sliding 8 and proning it across the room for a follow up charge next turn. Anyone who tries to move adjacent suffers the same fate, with the Cheeseslayer having an additional +3 to hit the hapless mob, almost guaranteeing that it'll go flying. This is doubly true if Martial Supremacy is active, allowing two chances to hit.

Basic Attack:

+39 to hit (+40 on a charge; +42 with Berserker's Charge, +42 on an OA), +41 with CA (+42 on a charge; +44 with Berserker's Charge, +44 on an OA). 3d6+2d8+54 damage (), slides 7, knocks prone, and either does hefty bonus damage (+4 to +8), gains a +2 to the attack roll and speed on a charge, allows you to move 7 as a free action, or makes two attack rolls taking the better result. +3d6 bonus damage on a charge. 19-20 crit range. Anyone hit takes 9 damage the next time they try to attack you. Anyone hit you can hit back as an Immediate Reaction with White Lotus Master Riposte. Slides each enemy adjacent 1 square on a power attack (great synergy with Mobile Blade). Usable once per encounter as a minor.

Build Tricks:

The Flyby: Charge an enemy, slide it 7 squares away and prone, then fly 7 squares into the air away from it with Mobile Blade + Zephyr Boots. If the enemy is melee only, or has only range 10 attacks or less, you will probably be immune to retaliation (needs a move action to get up, usually can't move into range _and_ initiate a ranged attack).

The Golf Swing: This build loves flying enemies because it can slide them 7 squares into the air and then prone them for a free 3d10 worth of bonus damage minimum. Obviously you can also use this to hit people into death zones, or a friendly Wizard's Storm Pillar on an OA or Immediate attack.

DPR (does _not_ factor in Power Strike):

Martial Supremacy, Charge:

((4.5*3)+(3.5*6)+16+18+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.105+((3.5*3)+(4.5*2)+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.8925 = 82.45125 per Eldritch Strike. 

Martial Supremacy, OA:

((4.5*3)+(3.5*6)+16+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.105+((4.5*2)+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.8925 = 71.19 per Eldritch Strike.

Martial Supremacy: Assuming 1 Charge + 1 White Lotus Riposte + 1 White Lotus Master Riposte + 1 OA each round = 224.83125 DPR 

Other Stances Charge:

((4.5*3)+(3.5*6)+16+18+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.10+((3.5*3)+(4.5*2)+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.85 = 78.525-86.125 per Eldritch Strike (+4 or 8 depending on Stance).

Other Stances OA:

((4.5*3)+(3.5*6)+16+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.10+((4.5*2)+6+6+5+5+15+4+4+4+9)*0.85 = 67.8-75.4 per Eldritch Strike (+4 or 8 depending on Stance).

Other Stances: Assuming 1 Charge + 1 White Lotus Riposte + 1 White Lotus Master Riposte + 1 OA each round = 214.125-236.925 DPR

Utilities:

Kirre's Roar and Glowering Threat both ensure mobs cannot ignore you.

Clearheaded combined with Superior Will and the Destined Scion saving throw bonus helps make certain you never spend turns dazed and stunned.

Slayer's Defiance makes for a great nova round with Quicked Spellcasting Eldritch Strike.

Stances:

Mobile Blade allows you to move like a scalded cat as a free action whenever you hit anyone with your Eldritch Strike anytime (including Polearm Gamble opportunity attacks).

Martial Supremacy allows you to roll twice for each Eldritch Strike hit every encounter, making this an efficient crit-fisher, besides being deadly accurate.

The other stances feature more conventional damage benefits.

Paragon Path:

Kensai affords +1 accuracy and +4 damage.

AC starts at 45 (+2 item bonus from Ring of Teros not factored), becomes 48 with Marauder's on a charge. Permanent concealment from Shadowband.

As before, I did not concern myself overtly with feat order.

It's not different at all, IS IT STEVE?!

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 30 
Half-Elf, Slayer, Polearm Master, Destined Scion
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Slayer Weapon Specialization: Sweeping Sword
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Constitution)
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Dexterity)
Half-Elf Power Selection: Dilettante
Arcane Admixture Power: Eldritch Strike
Quickened Spellcasting: Eldritch Strike
Background: Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much (Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much Benefit)
Theme: Iron Wolf Warrior

FINAL ABILITY SCORES Str 15, Con 28, Dex 24, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES Str 13, Con 16, Dex 15, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 12.

AC: 43 Fort: 48 Reflex: 46 Will: 42 HP: 217 Surges: 18 Surge Value: 54

TRAINED SKILLS: Athletics +21, Endurance +28, Intimidate +22, Arcana +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS:Acrobatics +21, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +19, Dungeoneering +18, Heal +18, History +15, Insight +20, Nature +20, Perception +20, Religion +15, Stealth +21, Streetwise +17, Thievery +21

FEATS:
Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise
Level 2: Wintertouched
Level 4: Martial Flexibility
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Weapon Proficiency (Talenta Sharrash)
Level 10: Defending Dabbler (retrained to White Lotus Riposte at Level 12)
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Arcane Prodigy
Level 14: Arcane Admixture
Level 16: Polearm Momentum
Level 18: Lasting Frost
Level 20: Wicked Blade
Level 21: Polearm Gamble
Level 22: Quickened Spellcasting
Level 24: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 26: Epic Will
Level 28: Silvery Glow
Level 30: Superior Will

POWERS
Dilettante: Eldritch Strike
Slayer utility 1: Mobile Blade
Slayer utility 1: Battle Wrath
Slayer utility 2: Glowering Threat
Slayer utility 6: Kirre's Roar
Slayer utility 7: Berserker's Charge
Slayer utility 10: Clearheaded
Slayer utility 16: Relentless Advance
Slayer utility 17: Duelist's Assault
Slayer utility 22: Slayer's Defiance

ITEMS:
Staggering Talenta Sharrash +6 (silvered),
Marauder's Roc Hide Armor +6,
Horned Helm (epic tier),
Bracers of Mighty Striking (epic tier),
Gloves of Ice (epic tier),
Diamond Cincture (epic tier),
Golden Ring of Teros(epic tier) OR Ring of Free Time (epic tier)
Shadow Band (epic tier),
Zephyr Boots (epic tier),
Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier),
Badge of the Berserker +6,
Diamond Scabbard (epic tier),
Dice of Auspicious Fortune (paragon tier),
Solitaire (Aquamarine) (paragon tier),
Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier),
Bahamut's Protective Ward (level 28),
Salve of Power (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Hey, Surrealistik

How did you get polearm momentum onto an essentials slayer build? I thought that was a fighter (weaponmaster) only feat. Am I missing something?

Thanks. 
PM is a fighter feat, which includes sub-types like Slayer, Knight etc.

Which D&D campaign setting is being used to create the character in the D&D builder? If I choose slayer under the D&D Home campaign, polearm momentum is not an option at any tier.

Which D&D campaign setting is being used to create the character in the D&D builder? If I choose slayer under the D&D Home campaign, polearm momentum is not an option at any tier.

If I select D&D home campaign, first level character, select fighter (slayer) as the class, assign a 15 Dex and 15 Wis as the only ability scores, I can pick polearm momentum as a 1st level feat. My guess is you're neglecting one or both of the stat requirements.
This must be a bug. I can select polearm momentum as long as I am level 1, and have not picked a race. Anything beyond that ommits it from the available feats.