Scry and Die, killing from rooms away.

77 posts / 0 new
Last post

Thanks poyodiablo for the pic.

Generall Strategy.

1) Tell your party that you'll scout ahead, while you roll a stealth check (don't go in).
2) Free: Summon your spirit 20 squares ahead.
3) Move: Send your spirit 11 squares into the next room(s).  *
4) Standard: Attack anyone your spirit can see and remain hidden.
5) Make a Bluff check to avoid laughing to loud while monsters scramble to find the source of the damage.
6) Repeat 3-5 times (till you run out of rogue encounter powers)
7) Send allies charging in with Spirit of the Ram, use glaoming cut, or take a short rest.

*Yes, the spirit will end because it's out of range, but only at the end of the turn, which gives us enough time to attack from it.

Trojan Horse Strategy (thanks to monkey gentlemen)

1) Get in a box  like this...
___
|    |
|g|

3) Have an ally who took training in basket weaving make it very pretty (perhps make it look like a seashell)
4) Have an ally who's trained in bluff give the box as a gift.*
5) Kill things, while staying safe in the box.
6) If they look in the box, chamelion and hide in plane sight will keep you safe.

* Assistance of the Strong Spirit could carry the box.

[sblock Scry and Die]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ====== Scry and Die, level 30
Gnome, Shaman/Rogue, Keen Eagle, Cosmic Soul
Companion Spirit (Hybrid) Option: Watcher Spirit (Hybrid)
Hybrid Shaman Option: Hybrid Shaman Fortitude
Hybrid Talent Option: Rogue Combat Talent
Rogue Combat Talent Option: Rogue Weapon Talent (Hybrid)
Arcane Agent (+2 to Stealth)
Theme: Seer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 13, DEX 28, INT 14, WIS 22, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 43 Fort: 33 Ref: 42 Will: 36
HP: 170 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 42

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +31, Athletics +21, Insight +28, Perception +31, Stealth +47, Thievery +29

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +19, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +21, Endurance +16, Heal +21, History +17, Intimidate +15, Nature +21, Religion +17, Streetwise +15

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Seer Utility: Cast Fortune
Gnome Racial Power: Fade Away
Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
Shaman Feature: Call Spirit Companion
Shaman Feature: Healing Spirit
Shaman Feature: Speak with Spirits
Monk Feature: Centered Flurry of Blows
Rogue Attack 1: Gloaming Cut
Shaman Attack 1: Wrath of Winter
Rogue Utility 2: Fleeting Ghost
Rogue Attack 3: Shadow Steel Roll
Shaman Utility 6: Sudden Restoration
Rogue Utility 6: Chameleon
Keen Eagle Attack 11: Winged Spirit Strike
Keen Eagle Utility 12: Hunting Eagle
Rogue Attack 13: Fitting Demise
Rogue Utility 16: Hide in Plain Sight
Keen Eagle Attack 20: Flurry of Spirit Talons
Shaman Utility 22: Natural Rebirth
Shaman Attack 23: Spirit of the Ram
Cosmic Soul Utility 26: Merge with the Cosmos
Rogue Attack 27: Perfect Sniper

FEATS
Level 1: Monastic Disciple
Level 2: Fading Spirit
Level 4: Spirits of Stealth
Level 6: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 8: Light Blade Expertise
Level 10: Fluid Motion
Level 11: Nimble Spirit
Level 12: Mobile Spirit
Level 14: Shadow Skulk
Level 16: Backstabber
Level 18: Midnight Blade Student
Level 20: Hybrid Talent
Level 21: Untraceable
Level 22: Nimble Blade
Level 24: Skill Focus (Stealth)
Level 26: Epic Resurgence
Level 28: Reserve Maneuver
Level 30: Weapon Focus (Light blade)

ITEMS
Shadow Master Ki Focus +6 x1
Lightstep Slippers (epic tier) x1
Dagger x1
Shadowflow Mantle Armor +6 x1
Shadow Band (epic tier) x1
Assassin's Cloak +5 x1
Girdle of the Umber Hulk (epic tier) x1
Lenses of the Luminary (epic tier) x1
Serpentine Bracers (paragon tier) x1
Shadowdancer's Gloves (paragon tier) x1
====== End ====== [/sblock]

Key components:
Keen Eagle PP:  Let's us use ranged attacks though the spirit.
High Stealth: Let's us hide, so they won't know where it comes from.
Rogue Powers: Let's us remain hidden.   After which, we'll re-hide.
Fading Spirit: Let's the spirit remain hidden, so they REALLY don't know where it comes from.

The rest is spirit movement, more stealth, and damage.  The ED just let's us be rediculous with ranged sight, but could be swaped for something else, such as thief of legends.

Oh, and you act as a backup healer.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

[sblock Hit on a 4 (2 for the at-will)]
9 Dex
15 lvl
3 Prof
6 Enh
3 Feat
1 Rogue
2 CA
1 Nimble Blade
=40 vs Ref.  Hit on a 2 (.95)  Encounter powers target AC and thus hit on a 4.
[/sblock]

[sblock Damage 64]
2.5 dagger
3.5 Shadow Dancer
4.5 Serpintine
9 Dex
6 Enh
3 Expertise
10 Shadow Master
3 Focus
22.5 sneak attack
3.5 (+7 vs bloodied).
= 64
[/sblock]

[sblock Crits: +2.6]
1.5 dagger
17.5 sneak attack
2.5 Shadow dancer
3.5 Serpintine
27 crit dice
= 52 *.05 = 2.6
[/sblock]

DPR = 64*.95 + 2.6

Encounter "Nova": 
63.4 * 4 attacks = 253.6
(Assuming you can successfully pre-attack.  You got nothing if your ambushed).

With the untraceable, i've got an effective 52 stealth (roll twice) vs Vecna's 34 perception so...

[sblock Stealth math]
(.05 * .05) *.5 = 0.000125 +
(.05 *.05) *.10 = 0.00025 +
(.05 *.05) & .15 = 0.000375
= 0.00075
[/sblock]
.075% chance of being seen by vecna.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

What are you using to maintain hidden when you hit?  I see Shadow Skulk for the misses, but what about the hits?

Edit:  Ah, it's in the attack powers. 

Nice way of getting around both the 20 square range limit and the line of effect requirement for the SC, by just letting it end every turn.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I still think this build would work perfectly as a gnome-in-a-box. Very clever, solved the rules issues with the SC, good DPR, absolutely zero risk. I love it.
So if you can attack anyone your spirit companion can see....you could sit on top of a mountain overlooking a city (or some other area with mass creatures) and just snipe people until your heart's content

Range infinite is pretty good... 
This build needs a "for dummies" section, cause I'm super lost

1. You have bow mastery, yet I don't see a bow in your item list

2. You're attacking out of your spirit companion with a rogue power (apparently, since you're backstabbing?)

3. I have no idea what math you're using for DPR calcs

It's well known that I have LSM, but it's generally helpful when posting builds with names to explain them, or at least say what pieces allow you to break certain normal rules.
This build needs a "for dummies" section, cause I'm super lost

1. You have bow mastery, yet I don't see a bow in your item list

2. You're attacking out of your spirit companion with a rogue power (apparently, since you're backstabbing?)

3. I have no idea what math you're using for DPR calcs

It's well known that I have LSM, but it's generally helpful when posting builds with names to explain them, or at least say what pieces allow you to break certain normal rules.

1) Drep..  Yea, no reason for bow master.  I was considering going x-bow, but eventually decided on dagger.

2) Yes.  The PP let's you use range/area powers from your spirit, and the ED gives you range sight.

3) Standard math... Damage * attack %

guides
Power
my builds

oh, I've figured out the math, I think -- instead of doing the whole hit at 10% you're just doing the gain. In that case you want the full 56 (not 95% of it, and I have no idea how you went from 56 to 59.5 for the base DPR) and 10% of the gain, which comes out to 60.6, the same number you get if you do it the longer way.
2) Yes.  The PP let's you use range/area powers from your spirit, and the ED gives you range sight.

What gets around the requirement of hybrid rogue to only get SA with Rogue powers?

3) Standard math... Damage * attack %

Yea, you should prolly double check your numbers before giving that sort of reply.
Nothing, but the PP feature is not restricted to Shaman powers.
oh, I've figured out the math, I think -- instead of doing the whole hit at 10% you're just doing the gain. In that case you want the full 56 (not 95% of it, and I have no idea how you went from 56 to 59.5 for the base DPR) and 10% of the gain, which comes out to 60.6, the same number you get if you do it the longer way.

It's off either way, bow master doesn't count.  So i loose 2.6 damage.

Suggestions for the open feat?

guides
Power
my builds

Nothing, but the PP feature is not restricted to Shaman powers.

so you can make rogue attacks out of your spirit companion?  neat...I always assumed SC could only make Spirit attacks...I'll have to look in Shaman more for my bard builds.

Thanks for clearing that up  Cool
Your spirit poofs if it goes more than 20 squares away from you.  Just something to keep in mind.

"At the end of the creator’s turn, a movable conjuration ends if the creator doesn’t have line of effect to at least 1 square of the conjuration or if the creator isn’t within range (using the power’s range) of at least 1 square of the conjuration." 
As a note: you can't become hidden on the same action that caused you to lose hidden, but since you have other actions you can just make a move check to become hidden or whatever re-hiding your spirit.
Oh Content, where art thou?
Your spirit poofs if it goes more than 20 squares away from you.  Just something to keep in mind.

"At the end of the creator’s turn, a movable conjuration ends if the creator doesn’t have line of effect to at least 1 square of the conjuration or if the creator isn’t within range (using the power’s range) of at least 1 square of the conjuration." 

I believe the intent is to let it die every turn.
As a note: you can't become hidden on the same action that caused you to lose hidden, but since you have other actions you can just make a move check to become hidden or whatever re-hiding your spirit.

True, but i got 3 encounter powers that make an exception to that rule.  You remain hidden.

I believe the intent is to let it die every turn.

Basicly.  At least i'm not worried about it dying since it's a free action to summon.

guides
Power
my builds

Awesome build Mello! Have you actually playtested it out and seen it in action? Can it be done with MC or with a straight up Shaman? (I know |Rogue adds a lot to its bite, I just am not partial to Hybrids)
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Awesome build Mello! Have you actually playtested it out and seen it in action? Can it be done with MC or with a straight up Shaman? (I know |Rogue adds a lot to its bite, I just am not partial to Hybrids)

Not yet.

And you need rogue to stay hidden, though the PP works fine for attacking around corners.

guides
Power
my builds

But do you need to Hybrid Rogue to do it, or is a MC sufficient?

If you're not even in the room and they can't see you, wouldn't that grant CA?

I'm really liking the build, I'm just wondering about its necessities.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Wow, that is some fine work, Mellored. 
But do you need to Hybrid Rogue to do it, or is a MC sufficient?

If you're not even in the room and they can't see you, wouldn't that grant CA?

I'm really liking the build, I'm just wondering about its necessities.

You need to be shaman to free action summon.  I suppose it's possible to just attack every other turn.

You need the rogue powers to remain stealthed, otherwise they'd know where the attack came from (which might be ok).  They could possibly be gotten via Eternal Seeker.

guides
Power
my builds

Ah, ok I think I gotchya now, thanks Mello.

Great work as usual!
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Eternal Seeker.

This may be problematic, as while Keen Eagle lets you use your SC as the origin for line of sight and line of effect, it does not allow you to use it as the origin for range.  Unless you're using very, very long range weapons, you need Cosmic Soul in order to expand their range to something usable.  Shaman powers going to range 20 with Keen Eagle helps, but it may be problematic trying to use any non-Shaman powers without Cosmic Soul.
Eternal Seeker.

This may be problematic, as while Keen Eagle lets you use your SC as the origin for line of sight and line of effect, it does not allow you to use it as the origin for range

Range is determined from an attack's origin square.

An attack's origin square is the square the attack originates from. If you determine line of effect from a given square, that square is the attack's origin square, as per RC101 and RC102.

" Eagle Summons the Fire (11th level): You can determine line of sight and line of effect for ranged attacks and area attacks from your spirit companion"

"A target must be within line of effect from the power's origin square"- in this case, we're using the spirit companion as the origin square. This overides the requirement that the origin square be the user of the power.

Range is specified as the distance from the attack's origin square- as the spirit companion is the origin square, there should be no need for the character himself to have range/sight or whatever- he isn't the origin square for his ranged and area powers, his spirit companion is.
Oh Content, where art thou?
Range is determined from an attack's origin square.

Was thinking the same.  I can't think of any instances where range is considered separately from line of effect.
you guys are keeping in mind that if the summon dies the shaman takes damage correct ?
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

you guys are keeping in mind that if the summon dies the shaman takes damage correct ?

Only from attacks.

If a single melee or ranged attack deals damage to the spirit equal to 10 + one-half your level or higher, the spirit disappears, and you take damage equal to 5 + one-half your level

So you have to be noticed (they rolled high on their perception check and you roll low), your turn interupted (readied action), and they have to hit, and do enough damage (not to hard though).

Then you take a small amount of damage and find another corner to hide behind.

guides
Power
my builds

The spirit shouldn't ever die, unless the enemies being targeted have interrupts (since the spirit disappears at the end of the Shaman's turn). Even then, they have get through hidden.
Opted to replace bow mastery (though hand-bow, or sling option isn't bad) with untraceable.

For a total of 44 stealth.
Vecna has the highest perception @ 34.

guides
Power
my builds

Don't you have to keep line of effect to the spirit companion, as you do with all conjurations?

Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Indeed you do, but it vanishes at the end of your turn, not instantly, so that's ok.
Don't you have to keep line of effect to the spirit companion, as you do with all conjurations?

It disapears at the end of your turn if you don't have line of effect to it.

I don't care if it disapears, cause it's a free action to summon.  So it goes on little suicide missions.  (which incedently, is how i'm going to flavor it.  Using the souls of the dead for suicide missions.  Either that or invisible clockwork bees).

guides
Power
my builds

If you go gnome-in-a-box, you don't really need to worry about your other class besides Shaman.

The original plan was to have an iron box with an air circulation system/series of poked holes, carried by the party goliath. You wouldn't have to worry about superior cover and could stealth with ease, even without Rogue. Any additional ranged or area attacks you get from any other class would work just fine, and you could do some interesting combinations - so long as you're at least half shaman, you're golden. You don't even need stat synergy, since just being hybrid shaman lets you summon the right kind of spirit companion.

The only required bits are Faded Spirit (to make it hidden when you're hidden) and the Keen Eagle Paragon Path.

Nimble Spirit (to summon as a free action) and Mobile Spirit (SC speed +4) make it more convenient and flexible, but aren't necessary.

That still leaves you to do whatever you want with the rest of the build. Twin Strike? Frostcheese? Polearm Momentum? No problem. Works at level 11, no less. The best part is, the wording doesn't even exclude non-implement attacks. You could have arrows burst out of your invisible companion to strike enemies.

Ranger|Shaman with frost weapon, wintertouched and lasting frost - twin striking freezing death
Wizard|Shaman with hypnotism - this iron box controls your mind
Warlock|Shaman adds curse damage and other controllery effects - this iron box is cursed

Lots of possibilities.

Also, if I read the utility right, does Assistance of the Strong Spirit mean if your strength is high enough to carry yourself and the box you're in, you can reposition yourself without getting out of your box? It'll still take your standard, but it'll save your bacon if the goliath who was carrying you got knocked down.
If you go gnome-in-a-box, you don't really need to worry about your other class besides Shaman.

The original plan was to have an iron box with an air circulation system/series of poked holes, carried by the party goliath. You wouldn't have to worry about superior cover and could stealth with ease, even without Rogue. Any additional ranged or area attacks you get from any other class would work just fine, and you could do some interesting combinations - so long as you're at least half shaman, you're golden. You don't even need stat synergy, since just being hybrid shaman lets you summon the right kind of spirit companion.

The only required bits are Faded Spirit (to make it hidden when you're hidden) and the Keen Eagle Paragon Path.

Nimble Spirit (to summon as a free action) and Mobile Spirit (SC speed +4) make it more convenient and flexible, but aren't necessary.

That still leaves you to do whatever you want with the rest of the build. Twin Strike? Frostcheese? Polearm Momentum? No problem. Works at level 11, no less. The best part is, the wording doesn't even exclude non-implement attacks. You could have arrows burst out of your invisible companion to strike enemies.

Ranger|Shaman with frost weapon, wintertouched and lasting frost - twin striking freezing death
Wizard|Shaman with hypnotism - this iron box controls your mind
Warlock|Shaman adds curse damage and other controllery effects - this iron box is cursed

Lots of possibilities.

Also, if I read the utility right, does Assistance of the Strong Spirit mean if your strength is high enough to carry yourself and the box you're in, you can reposition yourself without getting out of your box? It'll still take your standard, but it'll save your bacon if the goliath who was carrying you got knocked down.

The problem is, without rogue, you won't remain hidden when you attack.  They'll know your in the box.  Even if you re-hide, it wouldn't take much more then Wis 6 to guess where you are.

Reaching you is a compleatly different story.  If you just want to have constant superior cover, or stay out of line of effect, any of the other combo's will work.  And you don't neccicaraly need fading spirit (or be a gnome) either.

Also you have a heal or 2, so you can support the goliath.

Good call on Assistance of the Strong Spirit. 

guides
Power
my builds

At that point though you're turning into a tank - not a heavy defended character, an actual tank on goliath legs. Mount it on a heavy beast of burden and armor it to its weight limit and shoot through murderholes. You don't even need the shaman companion trick, just be a blasting wizard and hide in your tank. I think it's left the realm of CharOp and into unsportsmanlike behavior, so we'll leave it there.

And you're right, with just superior cover you aren't really hidden, and without hidden your spirit companion is visible, and a visible spirit companion is just asking to get shot out of the sky. It'll only exist on your turn, so less opportunities to get hit, and it'll only do you 5+level damage if someone does have a readied action or reaction to kill it while it's there, but it's still not nearly as neat a solution.

I guess gnome-in-a-box only really works if you're a rogue|shaman.

Hiding behind a wall 30 squares away, though, works just fine with X|shaman, since you'll never be in line of sight or effect and will be able to hide completely much more easily, even without rogue. So pull out your best CharOp shenanigans and cheeses, so long as you're a half-shaman gnome keen eagle hiding in the next room the possibilities are endless.

EDIT: I suppose technically being 150 feet away and behind several buildings doesn't let you stay hidden while you attack, but really, how are they supposed to know you're there? And you can restealth with superior cover even without rogue tricks, AND you'll be blasting them with all the tricks in the CharOp arsenal, so the odds they'll actually find you and reach you seems small.
I'm seriously debating on playtesting this build now, or at least making my gnome mage ride around in a metal box on top of a Tenser's Floating Disk!
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:

Unless that box you're putting your gnome in is 5x5x5, it's going to count as squeezing (grant combat advantage, -5 to attacks, and- not that it matters- half speed).  Nothing a goliath could actually carry around the need to squeeze, so unless you're going to try to optimize missing I doubt you'll want to take the attack penalty gnome-in-a-box would bring.

You could go Changeling and take Shapeshifting Contortionist to avoid any penalties while squeezing :D
Unless that box you're putting your gnome in is 5x5x5, it's going to count as squeezing (grant combat advantage, -5 to attacks, and- not that it matters- half speed).  Nothing a goliath could actually carry around the need to squeeze, so unless you're going to try to optimize missing I doubt you'll want to take the attack penalty gnome-in-a-box would bring.

Presumably we want a 15x15x15 box, bag of holding, or magic mansion.  

We need at least we need an extra square to summon the spirit before it runs out.  Otherwise you'd only have superior cover, and people could still attack you back though the holes (abiet, at -5), and you wouldn't need a spirit at all.

The spirit allows for the complete removal of line of effect.

Edit: The box needs to be like this...
___
|    |
| |g|

guides
Power
my builds

You could go Changeling and take Shapeshifting Contortionist to avoid any penalties while squeezing :D

Oh, there's a belt that does it as well.

guides
Power
my builds

We need at least we need an extra square to summon the spirit before it runs out.  Otherwise you'd only have superior cover, and people could still attack you back though the holes (abiet, at -5), and you wouldn't need a spirit at all.

What does this mean, exactly? You have to call your spirit companion inside your stronghold, and then it can move through walls out to the battlefield? Are you saying that if you have line of sight to call your companion outside your box, enemies have line of sight to hit you as well, albeit with a penalty?

Presumably we want a 15x15x15 box, bag of holding, or magic mansion.

A 5x5x10 box would would just as well, I imagine. Where can I find a magic mansion in the compendium?

Also, I presume you can chill inside a Handy Haversack as long as it's held open (an iron hoop inside the lip of the bag, just in case). Does that mean you could rest inside the 10x10x10 bag with a comfy chair, a light for reading, some snacks, all the while being carried by another member of the party? You can cast your spirit companion inside your bag while still staying completely safe, AND you wouldn't have to worry about being lugged around in a 15x15x15 iron box.