If you had all the time in the world to play RPG's would you?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Would you play rpg's all day long, (and night). If not what else would you do? Or, what other hobbies do you have?
It is not uncommon for our current group to have pulled all-nighters.  Previous groups have played all weekend, save for a Denny's run, and even then we still discussed events happening in game.

My longest was 5 days snowbound at GENCON in Lake Geneva, WI cirrca 1983.
Good god no! RPGs are great fun, but there are lots of other things I require to feel fulfilled. In no particular order, I enjoy going out to spend time with my friends (most of whom have no interest in playing RPGs), barhopping, longboarding, surfing (when I get the rare opportunity to do so), skydiving, I'm looking to start snowboarding again this winter (though who knows if I will have the free time to do so), reading, watching movies/TV shows, I happen to love what I do professionally (about to start working on an English Lit. PhD, with aspirations of eventually becoming a professor), spending time with my daughter, writing, getting tattooed, and (of course) romantic involvement. Spending your entire life doing nothing but playing RPGs would be a sad existence... and that from someone who LOVES playing them.
Nah ... eventually, I'd want some alone time.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Nah ... eventually, I'd want some alone time.

Absolutely.  The last time I tried "solo character generation" at the table everybody freaked out.

Jackonomicon™ It's not always safe for work, but it's great for play. It's my blog, yo.
Heck no! I get wiped out from just 6 hours of gaming. plus i wouldn't have time for anything else, like portal 2 or MLP:FIM
I smuggled D&D into Basic Training and we played using chits of paper.  While I have other hobbies I will continue playing RPGs whenever the chance allows, even if it is just in conversation.  Me and a friend spent 19 hours travelling to a familiy emergengy and fleshed out a lot of trivial happenings in the campaign.

RPG breaks the boredom more than anything alse has in this life so far.  There is time enough to be alone when your dead.
Would you play rpg's all day long, (and night). If not what else would you do? Or, what other hobbies do you have?

I started to say what I would do if I had all the free time in the world, but remembering how many lazy Sunday afternoons had me doing nothing leads me to believe that if I had all the free time I wanted, I would add other things to my life, rather than increase the time I spend doing what I already do.

• I already play RPGs four times every two weeks (two every-other-week games and one every week game).

• I already play soccer one or two times a week.

• I teach Sunday school.

• I ride a motorcycle recreationally.

• I watch movies and read books regularly.

• I attend live theatre every few months.

• I go to minor league baseball games a few times a season.

• I go camping two or three times a year.

If I had more free time (and for some, more money), I would:

• Learn Arabic

• Improve my Russian

• Improve my Spanish

• Go to the movies more

• Go to live theatre more

• Visit distant friends

• Dine out more

More RPG doesn't really seem like something that would happen if I had more free time.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

I started to say what I would do if I had all the free time in the world, but remembering how many lazy Sunday afternoons had me doing nothing leads me to believe that if I had all the free time I wanted, I would add other things to my life, rather than increase the time I spend doing what I alreayd do.

• I already play RPGs four times every two weeks (two every-other-week games and one every week game).

• I already play soccer one or two times a week.

• I teach Sunday school.

• I ride a motorcycle recreationally.

• I watch movies and read books regularly.

• I attend live theatre every few months.

• I go to minor league baseball games a few times a season.

• I go camping two or three times a year.

If I had more free time (and for some, more money), I would:

• Learn Arabic

• Improve my Russian

• Improve my Spanish

• Go to the movies more

• Go to live theatre more

• Visit distant friends

• Dine out more

Yup. More RPG doesn't really seem like something that would happen if I had more free time.

Play D&D in Arabic.
Play D&D in Russian.
Play D&D in Spanish.
Go to movies that inspire D&D campaigns.
Go to live theaters that inspire D&D roleplaying.
Visit distant friends who play D&D.
Dine out more, and play D&D at the table - some restaurants dont mind.
Playing all day long might get boring... playing and DMing all day long might be interesting. DMing for a living... I could get used to it, but I don't think there's a market.

Designing RPGs for a living... that'd be like a dreamjob. If I can ever go from computer gamedesign to boardgamedesign I'd go for it  
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.

In no particular order - sex, long walks in the park, museums and zoos, kendo and dancing, swimming and camping, artwork.- movies, shakespear, renaissance festivals... ummmm man the list is pretty long.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

When I game, I prefer to spend all day doing so, 10-12 hour sessions.  When spending just 3-4 hours, everything feels rushed and the session is over before anything significant is accomplished.

However, I wouldn't want to game more than once every other week or so.  Goodness, there are so many other things in life.
I would enjoy long gaming sessions, but I also want to have time for other things I enjoy, including (but not limited to, and in no particular order) consuming delicious consumables, playing video games, sex, reading books, ponies, anime, manga, movies, and other forms of entertainment.
"Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” ~Mark Twain
What a great question.

I would have to say no. Not that I wouldn't want to, but...

Have you ever sat through a marathon session of your favorite tv show? Sure it's fun, but you've just GOT to get up and move. While yes, you can do that, it still doesn't change the fact you're sitting for long periods of time.

You can lose track of time and end up playing longer than intended, but I've found as I got older, sometimes the mood would be there than not be there. (To roleplay.)

I was at a game convention and when I'm at those things, I never get to actually play games. This past one, I went out of my way to make time to play. And even though I was tired from working a booth all day, I forced myself to play.

It was fun, yes. But, I  was having trouble focusing. That and I had to get to bed to get some sleep for the next day.

There are moments in some games where you just want to stop, but the rest of the group doesn't. That's never fun.

On a similar note, I always thought that if I ever won the lottery, I'd open a game store. Thinking about it, I concluded that owning a game store would be WORK. The plan was thus changed to hang out at a game store for an hour or two.
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
All the time forever? No.  But, for lengthy stretches? Yes.  In the words of Garth Algar..."I like to play."
I remember the marathon sessions in High School. Not even sure I could handle that again. I do wish I could play more often, though (can't find a local group).
Assuming I won a ton of money and never needed to work again. I'd play more often, I'd do everything more often but work. Movies, Video Games, Family, Reading, Trips, maybe get a few more degrees because i enjoyed university when I was younger.
No.  I have a hard time playing DnD during day light.  I like being outside a lot hiking swimming or just sitting in the sun.  My A number #1 hobbie is surfing, longboard.  Catching one crappy, mushy, wind blown wave after work, can make a rotten day good.  I like playing music and singing (loud if not well) in the sun with my friends.  I like playing video games, Red Dead Redemption has taken up a lot of my time in the evening.  I'm also a big TV spazz, switching from Discovery, History Channel and the Cartoon Network.   But I also like reading, I just finished "Untold Adventures", lots of fun.  I also like checking out local live music.  I feel a little spoiled, Maui has a great live music.  I have seen more than one Mainland band out performed by a local opening act.  Wanna play Maui, You better have swagger 'cause your opening act will.  There is a lot more to do than play RPGs.

As for marathon gaming, I no can do.  I'm done after three hours of gaming.  But then there are few things I can do for more than an hour straight.  In my youth I can remember 4 or 5 hour session. But I can never remember playing 12 hours.  That just sounds nuts.  MY mind is usually mush after 3 hours. 

Well, I've spent some ten years of my life playing RPG's roughly one fourth of my time, so it would probably be like this if I had all the time (and enough money) I need Of course you need other players and DMs for this.
What else ? Reading, watching movies, writing - fiction and non-fiction -, sex and non-sex relationships, boardgames (!), academic research, long conversations serious or demented, preaching for "Bob", dreaming... Video games were part of the list, at one time, but I'm not really interested anymore.
And as I have plenty of time but no work nor money right now, looking for a job - or a way to earn money while slacking.

Remember Tunnel Seventeen !

no.

let's see:
-i've got my PS3 & DSi XL for gaming (my PC is currently undergoing a fried motherboard)
-i've got my PS3 for watching movies, surfing the net
-i've got cable and whatever TV is on
-if it would stop raining i might go out for a walk
-i can hang out with my buddies and play boardgames, magic or whatnot 
-eat food. i like food. 
-drink. vodka, rum, scotch, etc... can't go wrong with a nice buzz. especially if...
-listen to music. what music will vary on my mood, but still always a good idea

i don't mind the occasional all-night session, but day-in, day-out? 

no.

3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2
Sign In to post comments