GW Birthing Pod/Emeria - current version

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi folks,

Thought I'd post the current version of my Birthing Pod list. Having a lot of fun with it, and while it likely isn't tier material, it does well in rogue vs rogue match ups, and can hold its own (with a decent draw) against some of the better decks.

The Rebirthing Pod 
// Lands - 25

Pretty standard landbase. Minimal amount of plains to activate Emeria as not getting screwed off green is vital. Razorverge over Stirring Wildwood as it's important to try and avoid ETB-tapped green sources for Birds; also the reason for Forests over the Wildwood. No Tectonic Edges as Emeria is a fickly mistress; fortunately Beast and Archon can help deal with troublesome lands. While Emeria does make the land base harder, I am happy with its inclusion. If not ready for it it's difficult to deal with, and it's not hard to have go online alongside Primeval Titan. While I know that sticking a Primeval often means you're on your way to winning anyway, it's not always the case (for example, when facing a Tumble Magnet).

// Creatures - 24
[deck] 4 Solemn Simulacrum
4 Archon of Justice
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Viridian Emissary
2 Primeval Titan
1 Sun Titan
4 Blade Splicer
1 Wurmcoil Engine[/deck]
A solid creature assortment for the trek from 1 to 6. Went with Archon over Acidic Slime for its ability to hit anything, and offer permanent removal, as well as beating harder. Mixed creatures at 6 mana; initially had 4 Primevals to power Emeria, but found it was more prudent to include a Sun Titan in case land or the Mimic Vat hit the graveyard, and Wurmcoil Engine to help stabilise against any faster decks. Initially had Wall of Omens over Viridian to do something more than Rampant Growth, but I found that the early ramp was generally more useful, and the 2 power was better against aggro decks.

// Noncreatures - 11
[deck]4 Birthing Pod
3 Mimic Vat
4 Beast Within[/deck]
Very simple - Birthing Pod and Mimic Vat both offer great CA with the creatures in the deck, and in combination they can get you permanent creatures for virtually nothing. Went with Beast Within over Oblivion Ring as I found the 3/3 beast was much easier to deal with than the permanents coming back after O-Ring is dealt with (plus the Beast hits lands which helps).

// Sideboard - 15
[deck]4 Perilous Myr
1 Admonition Angel
1 Grand Abolisher
3 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
4 Day of Judgment[/deck]
Perilous Myr mainly for fast aggro decks, particularly RDW - I've found it's working better in the Dismember environment than Kor Firewalker. Admonition as an alternate 6 drop if the opponent is playing a lot of nasty permanents, Abolisher for control matchups, Leyline for burn decks, Linvala for the odd creature-ability deck, and DoJ for creature swarming decks. Kozilek is the odd choice alongside Emeria, but this particular deck I've found actually doesn't handle mill well, as while it generates a lot of CA, it can get milled out fast enough for that CA to matter for nothing. Linvala is a potential sub out as I'm seeing very few decks focusing largely on activated abilities; in her place I'd probably put a creature with a DoJ like ability, like Sunblast Angel, Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite or Novablast Wurm.

But in any case, there we have it. Enjoy!

Jax
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Hmm, the good thing about pod decks is the toolbox of creatures you can use. Even though Archon of Justice is more often a better card than Acidic Slime, replacing one aoj for a slime would be a good idea. If u need a slimeable permanent gone this turn, it would be better because aoj needs to die for its effect.

Sunblast Angel is gold, probably better than a second Primeval. Elesh Born is HOT! Put her in.

That land base looks funky, but if it wprks
I saw a deck similar to this a while ago and copied the list down. This one focused a lot more on the Emeria aspect of the deck than the Birthing Pod.

2x Spellskite
3x Viridian Emissary
4x Wall of Omens
2x Blade Splicer
1x Viridian Corrupter
2x Pilgrim's Eye
3x Solemn Simulacrum
1x Emeria Angel
2x Kor Cartographer
2x Acidic Slime
3x Archon of Redemption
2x Primeval Titan
1x Sun Titan
1x Wurmcoil Engine
1x Admonition Angel

2x Birthing Pod
2x Eldrazi Monument
2x Day of Judgment

12x Plains
4x Forest
4x Emeria, the Sky Ruin
4x Terramorphic Expanse

I was surprised how often the Eldrazi Monument/Emeria plan worked. The deck really runs pretty smoothly.