(DM) Buyable loot?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I didn't happen to see anything in the Encounters guidelines or the module itself on this but has this module been written with the intent that characters can buy magic items within Neverwinter?
The descriptions in the "Neverwinter Daily Life" section suggest that the characters can buy magic weapons and magic armor from HoFL and HoFK from Nagda and Aothir, respectivley. I'd assume the characters are free to buy as long as it makes sense storywise, probably inbetween chapters.
Correct.

Page 3, bottom of the first column (under "Treasure"):

"When to Gear Up: Characters can buy equipment at the start of each chapter."
Huh. How in the hell did I miss that. (And yeah, I'm going with extended rests for time availability)
Huh. How in the hell did I miss that. (And yeah, I'm going with extended rests for time availability)

Unless the gold is flowing I doubt the characters will have enough gold to purchase magical items.  No consumables might be a different story.
Characters coming from the gameday start with 300 gp, so there will be at least a minor amount of shopping being done.
https://twitter.com/#!/Nullzone42
No comment needed from me. You've got it right.

There is a little treasure flowing through the Encounters season, but by and large, probably the heroes are going to be picking up magic treasures in the sessions, rather than buying them.

Cheers
We sometimes pooled our money together as a group to buy magic items.

This is what I know my table will do. They're coming in with over one grand (several played the game day and a few of them haggled higher payments) between them.

I guess I should add that this season I'm running a regular group. All dwarves. All friends. With interesting styles of play. (Read as I have to toughen every single encounter if I want to make it a challenge for them - which they want)

This is what I know my table will do. They're coming in with over one grand (several played the game day and a few of them haggled higher payments) between them.

Sounds like you've got a handful!

I guess I should add that this season I'm running a regular group. All dwarves. All friends. With interesting styles of play. (Read as I have to toughen every single encounter if I want to make it a challenge for them - which they want)

Do so. If you need mechanical help or advice, let me know, or just ask here on the boards.

Cheers
I believe I'll be fine - I'm going to run tonight's encounter as a hard encounter. (Extra drake)

What I'll likely end up doing for bosses

Show
Such as the dragon in encounter 2 and so on, I'll likely bump their health by a bit as well as one or two points to their defenses. I want it to be a challenge - not a one sided fight in either direction. And the action points will certainly add to that.
Be careful adding defenses or hit points. That can inadvertently just make the fight into a drag, rather than actually giving a meaningful challenge. If you want to challenge them, increase the threat, don't just make stuff harder to kill.

I haven't seen my packet yet (we only just got them in today), but once I can get a look at the stuff you're talking about I'll see what tweaks I may come up with to increase the challenge
https://twitter.com/#!/Nullzone42
Last night I played a Dwarf Slayer, Heir of Delzoun. I had 300 gold on me from the game day event and was able to get Aothir to give me a discount because our shared heritage. Bought myself some nice armor. 
Judging by the encounter last night, the dragon may be fine as is for my table, no tweaks required. We'll see next week.