The Frozen Hammer of God - Lvl 16 Cavalier|Warlock Radiant/Frostcheese Catch-22 PEACH

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is an attempt at a striker/defender exploiting Frostcheese, Radiant Cheese, White Lotus feats, Hammer Shock and Mindbite Scorn/Psychic Lock to create a destroying, catch-22ing, penalty-to-hit imposing beast.

So, level 16 human Cavalier|Warlock 
Hybrid Cavaliers get Defensive Aura and Righteous Radiance
Hybrid Warlock of course gets Eldritch Strike and Warlock's Curse
Morninglord Paragon Path for radiant vulnerability

See the build: 
Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Morden, level 16
Human, Cavalier|Warlock, Morninglord

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 9, CON 24, DEX 12, INT 11, WIS 11, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 18, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 14

AC: 33 Fort: 30 Ref: 27 Will: 28
HP: 121 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 30

POWERS
Cavalier Feature: Defender's Aura
Cavalier Attack: Righteous Radiance
Warlock Attack: Eldritch Strike

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Level 1: Bludgeon Expertise
Level 2: Weapon Focus: Hammer [retrain at 11 to Arcane Admixture (add Cold to Eldritch Strike)]
Level 4: White Lotus Riposte
Level 6: Killing Curse
Level 8: Wintertouched
Level 10: Mindbite Scorn
Level 11: Lasting Frost
Level 12: Psychic Lock
Level 14: Hammer Shock
Level 16: White Lotus Master Riposte

TRAINED SKILLS/UNTRAINED SKILLS
How do I find out how many/what kind of skills I get as a hybrid?

ITEMS
Crusader's Warhammer +3
Bracers of the Mighty Striking (paragon tier)
Gloves of Ice
Layered Plate Defender's Plate Armor +3
Heavy Shield
Cloak of Distortion +3
Horned Helm (heroic tier)
Pelor's Sun Blessing
Potion of Healing (heroic tier) x5
====== End ======

RESULT
I hit with Eldritch Strike: 7 Con + 8 lvl + 2 exp + 2 prof + 3 enh = 22 to hit, 24 with CA (constant with Lasting Frost)
and deal 1d10 weapon + 3d8 curse + 7 Con+ 3 enh + 4 bracers + 2 gloves = 1d10 3d8 + 16 damage
and adds vulnerable 10 radiant/5 cold until the end of my next turn
and slid 2 and takes -4 to all attacks (rattling, psychic lock) and grant me CA

Which means until the end of my next turn:
Righteous Radiance deals automatic 10+10+7 = 27 damage
White Lotus Riposte deals automatic 7+5+10+7 = 29 damage
White Lotus Master Risposte deals Eldritch Strike: see below
Eldritch Strike deals 1d10+3d8+16+5+10+7= 1d10 3d8 + 31 damage and slid 2, rattled and psychic locked

So, I hit them with 22 to hit, deal 18.8 avg damage, slid 2, rattled and psychic locked
they attack an ally (with -6) or shift, they take automatic 27 damage
they attack me (with -4), they take 60.5 avg damage, slid 2, rattled and psychic locked

That means in an average round (attack, counterattack) they take 79.3 avg damage, and are slid 2 and -4/6 to hit
Or if I attack them and they attack an ally, they take 45.8 avg damage and are still slid 2 with -4/6 to attack
If I attack and they just run, they take an OA with CA, which is another 56.1 avg damage and slid 2 with -4/6 to hit
On my next turn and all after, my attacks against them deal 37.8 avg damage, and are still slid 2 with -4/6 to hit

In the first round, I'll deal between 45.8 and 56.1 avg damage, and after that between 64.8 and 98.3 avg damage.

Calculations below: 
Show

To hit: 7(Con) + 2(Prof) + 8(1/2 level) + 3(magic weapon) + 2(expertise) = +22 to hit
Monster AC: 16 + 14 = 30 AC
Chance to hit: 1-.05*(30-22-1) = .65 (.05 chance to crit)
Damage: 1d10+7(con)+3d8(curse)+3(magic weapon)+4(bracers)+2(gloves of ice) = 19+16 = 35(50 max)
DPR: (.65-.05)*(35)+.05*(15+10.5) = 18.775 DPR on first hit

To hit: 7(Con) + 2(Prof) + 8(1/2 level) + 3(magic weapon) + 2(expertise) +2(CA) = +24 to hit
Chance to hit: 1-.05*(30-24-1) = .75 (.05 chance to crit)
Damage: 1d10+7(con)+3d8(curse)+3(magic weapon)+4(bracers)+2(gloves of ice)+10(morninglord)+5(lasting frost)+29(WLR) = 19+60 = 79(94 max)
DPR: (.75-.05)*(79)+.05*(94+10.5) = 60.525 DPR on second hit if they hit me on my turn

To hit: 7(Con) + 2(Prof) + 8(1/2 level) + 3(magic weapon) + 2(expertise) +2(CA) = +24 to hit
Chance to hit: 1-.05*(30-24-1) = .75 (.05 chance to crit)
Damage: 1d10+7(con)+3d8(curse)+3(magic weapon)+4(bracers)+2(gloves of ice)+10(morninglord)+5(lasting frost) = 19+31 = 48(63 max)
DPR: (.75-.05)*(48)+.05*(63+10.5) = 37.275 DPR on following hits on my turn

10+half level+8 for plate +2 for masterwork +3 enhancement +2 for shield = 33 AC
10+half level+CON(7) +1 for human +3 neck +1 hybrid cavalier = 30 Fort
10+half level+DEX(1) +1 for human +3 neck +2 for shield +1 hybrid warlock
+1 hybrid cavalier = 27 Ref
10+half level+CHA(4) +1 for human +3 neck +1 hybrid warlock
+1 hybrid cavalier = 28 Will

33 AC | 30 Fort | 27 Ref | 28 Will

As for hit points, if hybrid Cavalier starts at  7.5HP and gains 3HP per level and has 5 healing surges, do you add that  to 6HP, 2.5HP per level and 3 healing surges of hybrid warlock to get  20+7.5+6=33.5 starting hit points, 5.5HP per level (88HP) and 8 healing  surges + CON mod?  So... 121HP, 15 surges?

Add in a Holy Smite or three each encounter to amp up the damage further as well.

NOTE: I'm newish to CharOp and Hybrid Cavalier isn't in the builder yet, so all this is to the best of my knowledge. Please correct math as you see it. Also, somewhere in there I'll stick Starfire Womb for constant saving throws.

Still, I think I did most everything else correctly, and this guy is a beast.
Catch-22, slid, rattled, psychic locked, every turn he's ruining someone's day.

I look forward to hearing your feedback and learning from your expertise.

EDIT: Added Pelor's Sun Blessing
EDIT: Changed main stat to CON instead of CHA
EDIT: Didn't have MC fighter for Hindering Shield , so replaced with Mindbite Scorn/Psychic Lock for extra to-hit penalty and added Wintertouched for additional accuracy
EDIT: Added calculations for DPR in main post, and build simalcrum.
You might want to consider just a straight Cavalier with Virtuose Strike, Power of Arcana, and Arcane Adimixture Frost. Or do a Fey Pact hybrid and pick up the pact weapon feat for the White Well, then admixture in frost. It would open up a better weapon. Also, if your going to be doing Radiant damage every round, the Starfire Womb + Hero's Poise feat combo means that you and your party can shrug off ongoing effects with ease.

Also, make constitution a secondary stat for the build so you can milk Pelor's Sun Blessing for all its worth.
I am a: Lawful Good Dragonborn Paladin
Thank you for your suggestions! What would I gain by going straight Cavalier besides saving a Hybrid Talent feat? I'd lose Warlock's Curse and the slide from Eldritch Strike (for slow with Hindering Shield), and it wouldn't be an MBA so I'd have to spend more on Iron Armbands instead of Bracers of Mighty Striking. Are there other benefits from Virtuous Strike besides the +2 to saving throws?

Also, where can I find the pact weapon feat for the White Well? And is there an advantage to using that weapon instead of Crusader + Hammer Shock?

Excellent find on Pelor's Sun Blessing, that'd definitely amp the DPR even further. Only problem is you'd have to worship Pelor AND Aumenator for the paragon path, so I'd have a hard time rationalizing it to my DM.

Starfire Womb + Hero's Poise is an excellent combination, those will likely be in my next few feats (along with something to help my defenses).
You might want to consider just a straight Cavalier with Virtuose Strike, Power of Arcana, and Arcane Adimixture Frost. Or do a Fey Pact hybrid and pick up the pact weapon feat for the White Well, then admixture in frost. It would open up a better weapon. Also, if your going to be doing Radiant damage every round, the Starfire Womb + Hero's Poise feat combo means that you and your party can shrug off ongoing effects with ease.

Also, make constitution a secondary stat for the build so you can milk Pelor's Sun Blessing for all its worth.

You can't use Arcane Admixture on Virtuous Strike, as it's not an Arcane At-Will.  Sure, it occasionally is, but it's not actually an Arcane At-Will power.
You can with Power of Arcana.

EDIT: With Pelor's Sun Disk working off CON, and Eldritch Strike working off either CON or CHA, the only real reason to go CHA primary is for Righteous Radiance, and by focusing on CON instead I get more AC, more hit points, more surges, and 3 more damage on all my attacks (against vulnerable radiant) except Righteous Radiance, which stays the same. I think I have a new main stat!
Excellent find on Pelor's Sun Blessing, that'd definitely amp the DPR even further. Only problem is you'd have to worship Pelor AND Aumenator for the paragon path, so I'd have a hard time rationalizing it to my DM.

These two gods are quite similar, and many campaigns would allow someone to have aspects of both.  For reference, LFR allows Amaunator followers to select items that reference Pelor and just call it Amaunator.
You can with Power of Arcane.

No, you can't, as I just said.  It's not actually an Arcane At-Will.
It's arcane, it's an at-will, how is it not an arcane at-will? Unless Arcane At-Will requires more than just the keywords?

Also, good to know about the Pelor/Aumanator combination, that'll be very useful.
Probably the same way that Rapid Shot is a Ranger Attack At-Will power you gain at level 1 but isn't actually a Ranger Attack 1 At-will power.

Also, arcane admixture is a paragon tier feat so you can't take it at level 8.
Crap, ok, I can't get it working until level 12 then, thank you. I'll take your word on the arcane at-will bit.
I would consider retraining weapon focus for mindbite scorn and white lotus master riposte for psychic lock in paragon. Paladin's Truth would also probably be a good idea in epic seeing how the build dables in 2-3 types of damage.
White Lotus Master Riposte is a big part of the catch-22, so I wouldn't really consider removing it from the build.

Paladin's Truth would be excellent, except that Defender's Aura isn't compatible with marks.

Thank you for the suggestions! Any other way of ignoring immunities and/or resistances?
Fun build, but I don't see any MC Fighter feat, so you don't qualify for Hindering Shield. Mindbite Scorn + Psychic Lock instead of WSG + Hindering Shield would be better imo (and legal). Since this build is dependent on hitting, trading WLMR for Wintertouched might be a good idea as well.
Oh bugger, I knew there was something I was forgetting. Thanks for the heads up.
Nobody seems to consider WLMR to be a useful part of this build - why is that? It adds a significant penalty to attacking me, and since this is a save-my-own-skin striker and only slightly a defender (even less with the removal of slow/prone) I feel like it is an important part of the build.

In any case, I'll regretfully have to remove HS and WSG for likely Mindbite Scorn and Psychic Lock - with Hammer Shock and Defender Aura, you're looking at -6 to attack allies, -4 to attack me, which is pretty significant. I also see the merit in trading a little bit of static damage (Weapon Focus, made up for with the extra damage from Mindbite Scorn) for a good chunk of accuracy improvement with Wintertouched. I suppose if I'm going radiant/frostcheese there's just no party without wintertouched as well.

EDIT: Did I calculate defenses correctly?

10+half level+8 for plate +2 for masterwork +3 enhancement +2 for shield = 33 AC
10+half level+CON(7) +1 for human +3 neck +1 hybrid cavalier = 30 Fort
10+half level+DEX(1) +1 for human +3 neck +2 for shield +1 hybrid warlock
+1 hybrid cavalier = 27 Ref
10+half level+CHA(4) +1 for human +3 neck +1 hybrid warlock
+1 hybrid cavalier = 28 Will

33 AC | 30 Fort | 27 Ref | 28 Will

Add in -4/6 attack penalties and a cloak of distortion and he's pretty well defended for a striker of his power, despite his unacceptably low Reflex.

As for hit points,
if hybrid Cavalier starts at 7.5HP and gains 3HP per level and has 5 healing surges, do you add that to 6HP, 2.5HP per level and 3 healing surges of hybrid warlock to get 20+7.5+6=33.5 starting hit points, 5.5HP per level (88HP) and 8 healing surges + CON mod?  So... 121HP, 15 surges?

EDIT: Mistakenly added CON to AC. Not good. This gives him midline defenses for AC and poor for NADs. He's going to get hit a lot - hopefully the catch-22, penalties to hit and cloak of distortion keep him standing.
I think ac might be off by a few points, something about masterwork armor that I really dont get. Adds 1 or 2 to ac iirc
I think ac might be off by a few points, something about masterwork armor that I really dont get. Adds 1 or 2 to ac iirc

Ok, so I looked up Masterwork Armor and... well, it makes very little sense, but it looks like I can either choose Gith/Layered Plate Armor for +10 AC instead of normal +8 AC, or Rimefire for +8 AC and Resist 1 all. It's an interesting tradeoff - which is better, avoiding one more attack from 40 AC instead of 38, or reducing all damage I take by 1?

Also, shame all the good masterwork armor is leather and hide. If only I had any dex at all.

How are you adding CON to AC?

I thought that's how you calculate AC - please correct me if I'm wrong. I was under the understanding heavy armor used your CON/STR scores and light armor used DEX/INT.

EDIT: Bugger.

1. The "Armor/Abil" box on the character sheet can include your armor bonus, your ability bonus, or both.  When wearing heavy armor, you only use your armor modifier.  When wearing light armor, you add your armor bonus and the higher of your Dexterity modifier or Intelligence modifier.

So my AC is only 32? At level 16? That's not good.

I thought that's how you calculate AC - please correct me if I'm wrong. I was under the understanding heavy armor used your CON/STR scores and light armor used DEX/INT.

EDIT: Bugger.

1. The "Armor/Abil" box on the character sheet can include your armor bonus, your ability bonus, or both.  When wearing heavy armor, you only use your armor modifier.  When wearing light armor, you add your armor bonus and the higher of your Dexterity modifier or Intelligence modifier.

So my AC is only 32? At level 16? That's not good.

Pretty sure that is not how it works. When wearing Heavy Armor, you don't add any stat to AC iirc.

Edit: Gah, quoted post was editted as I was posting.... +16 AC over level is nothing to sneeze at.
According to this chart I was referred to, I should have at least 35 to keep from getting hit more than 35% of the time. Any idea how to boost my AC a few more points? I need to make room for Improved Defenses, too... DPR is great and all, but if I'm getting knocked down before I can deal any damage there's no point beyond TheOp.

Also, would I be better off with Resist 10 Fire/Cold and +3 Defender's Armor, or a straight up +4 Imposter's Armor? I'm guessing the former, but who knows.

EDIT: Updated OP with new calculations. My DPR isn't so impressive anymore...