Will the look & feel of the new client match the DoTPw 2012 interface?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi Everyone,

Have been playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 on steam for a little while and now I find hard to come back to the ugly V3 client look & feel Undecided.

Does anyone knows how close is the new client in terms of interface / user experience to DoTPw?, when can we expect the client to be live?

Thanks,

tota
v4 is being developed by the same company that made dotp.

that being said, it will not change so radical, the screenshots i saw still had it in 2D with the same basic layout, just prettier and more modern.
here are some (older) screenshots: www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

beta should start "soon", with any luck we will have the new client within the year.
proud member of the 2011 community team

that being said, it will not change so radical, the screenshots i saw still had it in 2D with the same basic layout, just prettier and more modern.

beta should start "soon", with any luck we will have the new client within the year.

Thanks for the reply.

Looks ok I guess, not too fancy. The cards are the most important thing in the game and they look fantastic on dotp, hope they get will look that good in v4 Smile

tota 

Thanks for the reply.

Looks ok I guess, not too fancy. The cards are the most important thing in the game and they look fantastic on dotp, hope they get will look that good in v4 Smile

tota 

No idea where the difference in cards you are seeing is? Might just be because you are going from a PC monitor(mtgo) to a tv screen(bigger cards etc) but the cards htemselves look perfect in MTGO.
Owner of TheCardNexus chain on mtgo.

Thanks for the reply.

tota 

No idea where the difference in cards you are seeing is? Might just be because you are going from a PC monitor(mtgo) to a tv screen(bigger cards etc) but the cards htemselves look perfect in MTGO.

Nothing special, but little things like:

- Vector graphics so the whole card resizes appropiately (card text and overall graphics)
- Nice foil effects
- power/toughness counters poping out when cards are small
- Good looking card highlight effect
- Smooth card animation
- Cards organize appropiately when too many on screen (using overlapp)

Hopefully we get some of that with the new client.....

And by the way, I play on steam, so it looks MUCH better than console :-)
The new client WILL use vector graphics, at least for the cards (and I think everything, though I'm not 100% on that).

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
From the screen designs that we have seen, THANKFULLY the new client will not copy DotP's atrocious 3d table layout, but will have a clean, crisp 2d layout.

WHY oh WHY oh WHY did anyone ever think it was a good idea for your opponent's cards to be tiny and upside down on the other side of the virtual table? The entire purpose of a UI is to present information in an accesable and readable format - not blindly emulate the drawbacks of real-life for the sake of having 3d graphics.
From the screen designs that we have seen, THANKFULLY the new client will not copy DotP's atrocious 3d table layout, but will have a clean, crisp 2d layout.

WHY oh WHY oh WHY did anyone ever think it was a good idea for your opponent's cards to be tiny and upside down on the other side of the virtual table? The entire purpose of a UI is to present information in an accesable and readable format - not blindly emulate the drawbacks of real-life for the sake of having 3d graphics.

True, when I play I always switch to "top view", not perfect but it's better than "players view" :-)

+1

As much as I am looking forward to an overhaul of the V3 client, my biggest fear is that they will go all fancy on the UI and make it similar to DotP. Please let the interface be crips, clean and most importantly KISS. I want to be able to see what I am doing, and V3 actually does a surprisingly good job at this. I sure hope we do not regress on this aspect.
I really hope the Magic Online client will be on higher bug fixing priority than DotP since otherwise we will have unplayable exploiters paradise. Just look how they manage DotP .. no updates since release with major bugs and unfinished features all over the place.

I really hope the Magic Online client will be on higher bug fixing priority than DotP since otherwise we will have unplayable exploiters paradise. Just look how they manage DotP .. no updates since release with major bugs and unfinished features all over the place.

v4 will have a new UI, not a new rules engine. It will be the same as it is now.

Anything but nuts is crazy. - We need moar command helemet!

Get the prize winning Gold Skin for your v3 client while it's still here!

v4 will have a new UI, not a new rules engine. It will be the same as it is now.

To be fair, the rules engine issues use to be my second biggest pet peeve after security. I used to call for a complete rewrite because there were always so many issues.
But credit where it is due, because for what it is, the engine is amazing.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

The dev team have clearly become awesome at coding new cards, because there's heaps less bugs than there used to be. That, or the bugs are being picked up in beta more effectively. Either way, the rules engine is awesome.
The dev team have clearly become awesome at coding new cards, because there's heaps less bugs than there used to be. That, or the bugs are being picked up in beta more effectively. Either way, the rules engine is awesome.

From my beta experience, the kudos here go to the dev team.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

Zlight -- care to comment on the OP's original topic. Even hints or wierdly coded replys would be something.
Zlight -- care to comment on the OP's original topic. Even hints or wierdly coded replys would be something.

First, sorry for the threadjacking. As for the OP, I have no inside knowledge, and the public knowledge has been already given in previous replies. I hope for the good stuff from DoTP (overall look and usability), with the gadgets (3D view, animation, special effects) optional or, even better, absent.

Go draft, young man, go draft!