8/09/2011 Wizards Asks

20 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Wizards Asks, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I killed an opponent who had 24 life thanks to timely reinforcements.

Sorin Markov him to 10, Attack w/ Crumbling Colossus (and other stuff that got blocked), Fling Colossus for lethal.

With warstorm surge on the table i cast master theif to steal a crown of empires and kill an assault griffin.

felt good man.
I put Swiftfoot Boots on a Royal Assassin on turn 4.  Watching the look on my opponent's face, you could tell he didn't have an answer for that in his deck.   I was running things like Carnage Wurm and Overrun, so all of the time this bought me was well spent.  I got to do the same thing in another game in the second round.  Good times.
Hmm. I have a Reassembling Skeleton, a Devouring Swarm and 9 mana open against an opponent with a Giant Spider, a Stingerfling Spider, a Sacred Wolf and some tokens. I have Act of Treason, Reverberate and another card in my hand.

I play Act of Treason on the Stingerfling Spider and duplicate it with Reverberate against the other spider. I sacrifice both spiders to the Swarm, then sacrifice the Skeleton three times to the Swarm via his cool ability. The Swarm then deals lethal damage.
After playing 3 [C]Buried Ruin[/C]s in a draft, no one wanted to block my [C]Solemn Simulacrum[/c]s until the last minute. If that didn't work, my [C]Devouring Swarm[/C] did the work for me.
Bringing back Goblin War Paint with Sun Titan, on the Titan, attacking to get a second trigger and hit for eight right away is probably up there...

I won a game as WB evasion against a heavy-black BU bloodthirst/evasion/Levitation deck by hitting my Pride Guardian with Angelic Destiny, locking down my enemy's assault at 4 life before proceeding to draw all my Griffins, gravediggers, and finally Sorin's Vengeance... I liked that. 4/7 flying first-striking defender that bolsters my life total every time you try to get damage through... Still want to attack?
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
This was not a play I did, but done on me. I had just played Thran Golem and got to enchant it with one aura (I had only two in the deck); next turn my oponet taps and Master Thief  my enchanted  Thran Golem. now he has 2 creatures on the board and I have none. (I think I may have lost that one.... xD)
This was not a play I did, but done on me. I had just played Thran Golem and got to enchant it with one aura (I had only two in the deck); next turn my oponet taps and Master Thief  my enchanted  Thran Golem. now he has 2 creatures on the board and I have none. (I think I may have lost that one.... xD)

That's one wicked play, I admit...
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Two instances for me:
1. Drafting 4 Gravediggers is cool. Real cool. Casting Gravedigger to return Gravedigger = an amazing combo.
2. Royal Assassin + Crown of Empires = Board lockout. My opponent and I was in a long battle where we were both running low on removal spells. When I topdecked the Assassin, I laughed to myself for a second. Two turns later, he's the only creature on the battlefield and my opponent scoops. He was real concerned about the Assassin getting in there for lethal.
Two instances for me:
1. Drafting 4 Gravediggers is cool. Real cool. Casting Gravedigger to return Gravedigger = an amazing combo.
2. Royal Assassin + Crown of Empires = Board lockout. My opponent and I was in a long battle where we were both running low on removal spells. When I topdecked the Assassin, I laughed to myself for a second. Two turns later, he's the only creature on the battlefield and my opponent scoops. He was real concerned about the Assassin getting in there for lethal.
My opponent dropped Jace, Memory Adept and used it's 0 ability on me...dumping BOTH of my Chandra's Phoenix into my graveyard.

I untapped, cast a Shock at his face, and thanked him.
I was running a fairly sick B/R Bloodthirst/removal deck at the prerelease.  Game one, an opponent had a lot of big fatties who were hard to deal with, so I side in an Act of Treason.  Game three, he drops a Pentavus.  I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do for a second until I look down and remember I've been holding the Act of Treason.  I untap, steal it, swing in, and then break it into tokens.  I was one mana short, so he got back a 1/1, but oh well Tongue out.  I won the game the next turn.
I was running a fairly sick B/R Bloodthirst/removal deck at the prerelease.  Game one, an opponent had a lot of big fatties who were hard to deal with, so I side in an Act of Treason.  Game three, he drops a Pentavus.  I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do for a second until I look down and remember I've been holding the Act of Treason.  I untap, steal it, swing in, and then break it into tokens.  I was one mana short, so he got back a 1/1, but oh well .  I won the game the next turn.

Killer! We love our AoT at common, now.
This was during the pre-release:

Mine was a close match, I attacked my opponent down to 2 life, I was at exactly 10, and I end my turn (I had made a mistake and had not attacked all out, as I should of, since the board was mine and that would've been the match). My opponent looks at me, smile and tells me: "You almost had it."

He casts Sorin's Vengeance, I pay a red, tap my Grim Lavamancer, exile 2 cards, and you know what happens next. My opponent couldnt believe what just happened.
I don't have any real cool plays to share but I had a situation that was very close to being a cool play.  During one of my games at the prerelease I had a Garruk's Horde out and both me and my opponent were low on life.  My opponent had the lethal attack for the next turn unless I managed to find one of my cards that could stop a flyer.  I managed to have a few creatures on top, but not one of my spiders.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I casted Jace, Memory Adept a few times.
So the way this went is that I Mind Controlled my opponent's Stampeding Rhino and then attacked with it the next turn. She ended up double-blocking it to kill it and one of the blockers. This is good. Mind Control is very powerful. But "I Mind Controlled something" is not a cool play. The cool part was when I cast Auramancer to get back the Mind Control to get back theStampeding Rhino, which was still the best creature available. Gimme that Rhino!

(emphasis mine)
Am I missing something? How can the Rhino still be around?
I was losing 20 life to 10 and had just gotten out a creature to finally defend with when my opponent, a good friend of mine, plays a Sengir Vampire. I draw a land, which turns out to be just what I needed. With the total land I have I'm able to Act of Treason his Sengir Vampire and attack while using Titanic Growth on it for eight damage. To finish it off, I use the last card in my hand, Fling, not only killing his Sengir Vampire but dealing an additional eight damage to him. After dealing 16 damage to him he's left at 4 and I'm able to finish him off in a couple of turns.
Simple, but fun.
At the M12 Prerelease, I had sideboarded my main U/B deck for my W/R aggro deck. I've got a Gideon's Avenger out, and he's popped his Pentavus for the Pentavites. I've gotten him down to 13, and he's got me nearly dead because he's swinging with the 'vites and some other nasty stuff. He keeps tapping down my Avenger with Crown of Empires, keeping me from either attacking or blocking with it. I'm down to my last turn, I'll take lethal on his next turn. I draw my last card. I smile. I look at my by now 20/20 Gideon's Avenger. I look at the card in my hand. I look at his colors and know he has no answers for what's about to happen. I tap two Mountains, and Fling the Avenger at him for 20 damage and the win.
It's spelled Corellon Larethian, not Correlon, Correllon, Correlllon, Corellion, Correlian or any other way of getting it wrong. I'm a total grognard and I still play 4E.