8/09/2011 SF: "A Cheap Second Date"

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
What was meant to go in that second Inspired Charge's place?

Particularly interesting situations arise if you can amass a pile of Eldrazi Spawn tokens. You can tap and sacrifice them to help pay for Sprout Swarm,

No, you can't.

Convoke is an additional cost and you need to play mana abilities before paying all the costs, so it is impossible to both sacrifice a Spawn token for 1 mana and tap it to reduce the cost by 1.
Great article! I definitely number in the players who would find Pauper Commander boring if limited to only the common legendary creatures. However, I also understand the concern you expressed on the CommanderCast podcast that some of the Uncommon/Rare/Mythic Rare legends may be too powerful for the Pauper Format to handle with its limited removal suite. Pauper Commander seems to be increasing in popularity. Although Wizards hasn't "taken over" Commander, I'm not sure the Rules Committee has their eyes on Pauper Commander as well. Could we see some sort of Pauper-centric banned list that would remove access to these broken-in-the-format legends?
Commander pauper sounds interesting. I definitely agree if you can only use common commanders then it would be a snooze fest. Your commander in pauper is your most valuable card if it can be rare so everyone will have to use it effectively to win. Most of the commanders in regular magic are just for show.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
@scrappykid you can use them to convoke and then sack, as you tap creatures for convoke before you pay for the spell.

I'm down to play pauper commander magiconline username: Bigred92
MTGO name is deth2munkies and I'd love to play.  I'm on somewhat of a tight budget atm, so I'll have to do with my only legendary non-planeswalker creature atm...but I can make it work.

Join the Ranks ?

I don't know what Adam's intention was, but I've made a guess at Glorious Charge.

Particularly interesting situations arise if you can amass a pile of Eldrazi Spawn tokens. You can tap and sacrifice them to help pay for Sprout Swarm,

No, you can't.

Convoke is an additional cost and you need to play mana abilities before paying all the costs, so it is impossible to both sacrifice a Spawn token for 1 mana and tap it to reduce the cost by 1.

Why, you're right. Funny how casting a spell is one of the first things you teach a new player, but is actually one of the more complicated parts of the rules. I deleted the erroneous statement.

I might not be able to make the start time, but would like to play

rickwins1971
MTGO - ResoundingG Want to play in A Cheap Second Date Pauper Commander Format on August 10.

I don't know what Adam's intention was, but I've made a guess at Glorious Charge.

No, you can't.

Why, you're right. Funny how casting a spell is one of the first things you teach a new player, but is actually one of the more complicated parts of the rules. I deleted the erroneous statement.

Glorious Charge works for me; 99% sure that's what I meant. I was using Excel to group and change cards, so it was likely an autofill error when I was typing something. Thanks Kelly!

And, apparently, I've been misplaying Sprout Swarm with my Eldrazi Spawn tokens. At least I can still tap them for casting #1 then sac them towards casting #2,  so it's not a total loss! Laughing (And thanks again Kelly!)

And remember everyone, if you have a question to be answered next week for Feedback Week ask away!

See you Pauper Commander-ers tomorrow! 
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs
So, I ended up cashing in a Phantasmal Image I drafted last week and spent those couple of tickets to make myself a nice little pauper deck with Sisters of Stone Death as my commander.  After playing a few games it became abundantly clear that Enchantments rule the format, but I was missing enough removal for them.  Does anyone have an extra Tranquility they can sell/give/lend me?

Thanks  
I have a couple decks already made with non common generals and the rest common cards. I just want to be clear that it's ok to use cards printed at common online then reprinted at uncommon. This would mean that one can build a deck using the "Pauper" filter in the deck editor. I'd like to particpate if I can get there on time. My username is ForestFire0.
As long as it's been a common at least once, you're good!
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs
Had a good time trying out my Momir Vig pauper deck. Got to go infinite with Wildheart Invoker + Stoneseeker Heirophant + Bounceland + Freed from the Real. The deck is actually suprisingly decent at comboing (Drift of Phantasms helps ALOT), but can also just go value creatures + bounce with Wizard Mentor.

Hope to get more games in, love the format.
Games were a lot of fun.  Whether it was insane lifegain, Rot Wolf going deep, or getting mana flooded, I'd love to play the format again sometime.  Hopefully with some better cards