"Fire Wizard" CharOp request

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've looked through several CharOp threads here looking for a human fire-spec wizard (arcanist).

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Jovan Kross, level 19
Human, Wizard (Arcanist), Blood Mage
Build: War Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery Option: Staff of Defense
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Fire
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Waterdeep (Waterdeep Benefit)
Theme: Scholar

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 9, CON 16, DEX 14, INT 24, WIS 14, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 11, DEX 13, INT 17, WIS 13, CHA 13

AC: 32 Fort: 27 Ref: 31 Will: 30
HP: 98 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +21, Diplomacy +18, Dungeoneering +16, History +21, Insight +16, Religion +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Athletics +8, Bluff +11, Endurance +12, Heal +11, Intimidate +11, Nature +11, Perception +14, Stealth +11, Streetwise +11, Thievery +11

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Scholar Utility: Use Vulnerability
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Staff of Defense  Power: Staff of Defense
Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
Wizard Utility: Light
Wizard Utility: Mage Hand
Wizard Utility: Prestidigitation
Wizard Attack 1: Winged Horde
Wizard Attack 1: Thunderwave
Wizard Utility 2: Memory to Mist
Wizard Utility 2: Shield
Wizard Attack 3: Fire Shroud
Wizard Utility 6: Fire Shield
Wizard Utility 6: Wizard's Escape
Wizard Attack 7: Lightning Bolt
Wizard Attack 9: Visions of Ruin
Wizard Attack 9: Wall of Fire
Wizard Utility 10: Witch's Reversal
Wizard Utility 10: Illusory Wall
Blood Mage Attack 11: Blood Pulse
Blood Mage Utility 12: Soul Burn
Wizard Attack 13: Blackening Pyre
Wizard Attack 15: Enervation
Wizard Attack 15: Prismatic Beams
Wizard Utility 16: Clever Escape
Wizard Utility 16: Fly
Wizard Attack 17: Dancing Flames
Wizard Attack 19: Evard's Ebon Bindings
Wizard Attack 19: Feast of Destruction

FEATS
Level 1: Staff Expertise
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 4: Stoking the Fire
Level 6: Enlarge Spell
Level 8: Destructive Wizardry
Level 10: Burn Everything
Level 11: Spell Focus
Level 12: War Wizardry
Level 14: Sympathy of Flame
Level 16: Arcane Admixture (Fire - Thunderwave)
Level 18: Consuming the Weak

ITEMS
Spellbook
Accurate staff of Ruin +4 x1 (with Siberys Shard of the Mage (paragon tier))
Defensive Staff +3 x1
Executioner's Bracers (heroic tier) x1
Burning Gauntlets (heroic tier) x1
Fireburst Boots (paragon tier) x1
Cloak of Resistance +3 x1
Headband of Perception (paragon tier) x1
Ring of Retreat (paragon tier) x1
Robe of Stars Mindweave Armor +4 x1
Whetstone of Combustion (heroic tier)
Salve of Power (heroic tier)
====== End ======

I've largely focused on sheer damage output with some solid friendly-fire area control, with only a few single-target spells (and ways to recycle them). I'd like to add a little more control, but with a char-broiled flavor.

Any suggestions/comments are appreciated.
Is there a reason you're using the arcanist rather than the mage with the pyromancy school?
I was going to ask the same thing, unfortunately for the wizard, the mage really does better for this type of fire damage build.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I might humbly suggest checking out the wizard's handbook on here. Specifically the builds section of the handbook which has a pyromancer in it. In that case, it's a tiefling mage with pyromancy and evocation.

on your build as it stands, your starting abilities seem rather low, and I am guessing that the 17 int does not reflect your human racial adjustment.

If you want a little more hard control, I would just take a few powers that are hard control as your alternative dailies and call it good. There are so many good ones it's hard to pick, but maybe visions of avarice or stinking cloud. Your listing doesn't show any level 5 dailies, so that seems like maybe a good spot.

In fact, now that I look closer, you show no dailies until level 15. Seems like a good place to put "a little more control". Wizard (and mage) dailes are brutal on that.

Soft control, you could go Pyromancy Mage and all your fire spells would leave a low damage zone behind. A burning crater as it were.
In fact, now that I look closer, you show no dailies until level 15. Seems like a good place to put "a little more control". Wizard (and mage) dailes are brutal on that.

Hmm, I hadn't noticed that the CB didn't copy/paste the dailies over. I'll edit shortly.

((Honestly, I'm still a novice to 4E builds and barely know the difference between a Wizard (Arcanist) vs. a Wizard (Mage). I'll read a little more on it tonight.))

The 17 Int was my base score, before any adjustments. I know Con is supposed to be secondary but I want Thunderwave to have a decent push to it (augmented with Gloves of the Ram, of course) ---I just noticed the CB put Burning Gloves on my wizard! wtf?! God I hate silverslight...

Human vs Tiefling - this is a character I've played for nearly 2 years as 3.5, and now we're converting to 4E. Gotta stay human, and I like the racial's panic button.
Sign In to post comments