weird question.. what would you do with a young white dragons tail?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

i have been googling and googling and trying to figure out what to do! I am DMing for the first time and dont want to screw it up. we as a group are taking turns dming so we can all have expeirence doing it. when we switch we just pick up where the other left off basically and do with the story what we want.

and well, the point is that before we switched to me as the DM, we killed a young white dragon (cant remember his age, but he was about as tall as my character who is a gnome), and one of the PC's took some of his blood, teeth and also his tail.

he is very excited about the tail, and i dont know what to make out of it for him. the best i can come up with is armor with some kind of resistence to cold. but i think he wants something cooler then that since he took the tail. seriously though... is there anything that the shape of a dragons tail would be useful for? or at least anything that might need to be as strong as dragonhide and have a cold resistence?

lol his main weapon is a composite bow, and the clever boy made the dragons teeth into arrows. maybe the tail could be made into a quiver?

any ideas would be lovely!  

A +1 Whip of Frost (L3)?
He could wear it like a scarf. It could still give cold resist.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Assuming your characters aren't creeped out by wearing the body parts of a fellow sapient creature, I suppose making the tail into a quiver would be thematic.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Have it made into a whip?  Then you could have it whip fr cold damage. 

Or is it big enough for a cloak? 

How about having some sort of Genetic Wizard clone it and have a pet mini dragon. 
Sprinkle with salt and white pepper, then sear the white dragon's tail in a pot until all sides are golden brown. Add onion, carrot, and celery and sweat them. Throw in some garlic and white wine along with a bay leaf, thyme, and half a teaspoon of sea salt. Bring it to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 3 hours until the white dragon's tail is fork tender. Garnish with fresh parsley.

Until the next time the characters level, each person who enjoyed the delicious dragon's tail gains resist 5 cold. Then, make an adventure with a few creatures that do cold damage and a trap/hazard/terrain that does cold damage so that it's useful. 

Your players won't soon forget that and you'll be elevated to permanent DM status.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals  |  Full-Contact Futbol   |   Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs  |  Re-Imagining Phandelver  |  Three Pillars of Immersion

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Sprinkle with salt and white pepper, then sear the white dragon's tail in a pot until all sides are golden brown. Add onion, carrot, and celery and sweat them. Throw in some garlic and white wine along with a bay leaf, thyme, and half a teaspoon of sea salt. Bring it to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 3 hours until the white dragon's tail is fork tender. Garnish with fresh parsley.

Until the next time the characters level, each person who enjoyed the delicious dragon's tail gains resist 5 cold. Then, make an adventure with a few creatures that do cold damage and a trap/hazard/terrain that does cold damage so that it's useful. 

Your players won't soon forget that and you'll be elevated to permanent DM status.

This. This is creative and fun sounding as all hell

Thanks. It's also my general recipe for braised oxtails. So even if the oxtails have been replaced by a white dragon's tail, the preparation is at least based in reality.

Braised oxtails is a great thing to eat when it's cold out. So I figured, why not white dragon, too? 

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals  |  Full-Contact Futbol   |   Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs  |  Re-Imagining Phandelver  |  Three Pillars of Immersion

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Thanks. It's also my general recipe for braised oxtails. So even if the oxtails have been replaced by a white dragon's tail, the preparation is at least based in reality.

Braised oxtails is a great thing to eat when it's cold out. So I figured, why not white dragon, too? 

And if someone were so culinary inclined, provide the real-life oxtail as that session's dinner.
I've heard that the sinews and tendons in a dragon's tail make exceptional composite bows due to the tails whiplike nature.

Well, going on the previous poster's idea, and given that the dragon was relatively small, I'd suggest that the sinews of the dragon's tail could be used as part of a composite bow, or perhaps even the entire bone and tendon structure of the tail could be split in half along it's length and reconstructed end to end to make an entire bow out of just the tail...
Give the character the opportunity to have someone make him a level-appropriate frost bow, and possibly the opportunity to enchant the arrows.

(Just out of curiosity, which edition are you playing? There's no specific "composite bow" in 4E, and as I remember in 3E both long and short bows could be composite bows just by spending more gold.)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I would make the tail into a wand of frost or something.  I figure after rigamortis sets in the tail would become stiff.   Thats my two cents.
what great suggestions! you people are so creative! (we are playing 3.5 btw) the player who has the tail has shown interest in having it made into a scythe.. and i wish i had thought of the composite bow before, because he just bought a composite bow durring our last session. lol i also love the idea of eating it and what a fun recipe! but i dont think it would work because the PC who has the tail is a vegetarian. lol and yes, he is a vegetarian who carries around a dragons tail.
It's 7 things in one
end part as a blade or scythe
a vest of resist cold
magic food for the other pcs
bones as a cold whip
a sacrofice to a god
ground scales to make magic dust of wizards and such
hat
Assuming your characters aren't creeped out by wearing the body parts of a fellow sapient creature, I suppose making the tail into a quiver would be thematic.

You should bear that in mind, actually. It seems to me not that far away from hollowing out an elves thigh for a quiver. You should think about some kind of moral ambiguity there, unless the character is neutral or evil.

On another note, the tail has vertabrae in it - you could turn them into some kind of a necklace that grants cold resistance or allows him to sense the presence of draconic creatures.
. . .  allows him to sense the presence of draconic creatures.

. . . and/or allows draconic creatures to sense him :-)
. . .  allows him to sense the presence of draconic creatures.

. . . and/or allows draconic creatures to sense him :-)

Right, with those two traits, I have a feeling I know what magical item my characters will find next. Thanks for thatSmile.