Deal damage as though it weren't blocked?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, I am having a bit of a disagreement with someone I am playing magic with and would sure like to clarify what would ACTUALLY be the correct way of deal with this.

I have a creature card (Lone Wolf), which is a 2/2 and has the text "You may have Lone Wolf deal its combat damage to defending plaer as though it weren't blocked"

That being said, my friend is insisting that because his creature has first strike that the combat damage never really happens and that my creature is killed, and deals no damage.

The flaw I see in this is that, if I have declared him as an attacker, shouldn't his damage go through, reguardless of the first strike creature? 

Any help clearing this up would be appreciated ^.^ 
The creature assigns damage as if it weren't blocked, which means 'during the normal combat damage step'.  Unfortunately, if it's killed in the first-strike damage step, it's not around to assign its damage.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I have a question along the same lines as the initial one asked. Let's say im using Tornado Elemental and a friend of mine was asking, can the creature still be blocked? I know it says "you may have it deal damage to defending player as though it weren't blocked." so..weird question i know but still.
I have a question along the same lines as the initial one asked. Let's say im using Tornado Elemental and a friend of mine was asking, can the creature still be blocked?

Sure, why not?

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

So even though i choose to direct the damage to the player as though it weren't blocked, it can still be blocked and won't deal damage to the creature and if the other creatures power is higher than 6 it will then die. Correct?
I have a question along the same lines as the initial one asked. Let's say im using Tornado Elemental and a friend of mine was asking, can the creature still be blocked? I know it says "you may have it deal damage to defending player as though it weren't blocked." so..weird question i know but still.

If it was unblockable, it would say so (compare to something like Tidal Kraken). The main difference between this ability and being unblockable is of course that the Tornado Elemental will be dealt damage by the creatures that block it. It simply deals damage to the defending player instead of the blockers, but it's considered blocked and the blockers damage it.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
So even though i choose to direct the damage to the player as though it weren't blocked, it can still be blocked and won't deal damage to the creature and if the other creatures power is higher than 6 it will then die. Correct?

The "You may have Tornado Elemental assign its combat damage as though it weren't blocked." ability gives you an option for the assignment of Tornado Elemental's combat damage.  It says nothing about whether or not Tornado Elemental can be blocked, so it does nothing about whether or not Tornado Elemental can be blocked.  It says nothing about the assignment of some other creature's combat damage (specifically, that of a creature blocking Tornado Elemental), so it does nothing about the assignment of some other creature's combat damage.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

It says nothing about whether or not Tornado Elemental can be blocked, so it does nothing about whether or not Tornado Elemental can be blocked.

If anything, it strongly implies that it can be blocked (by saying something there would be no conceivable purpose in saying if it couldn't). Only one Magic card has an intentionally pointless line of text, and that's from a highly unusual set where there's a kinda-sorta explanation for it (the unusual card frame should be one's first clue). Normally, you can safely assume the (non-italic) text on Magic cards is supposed to do something, and reason accordingly.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
I got a card Pride of Lions, where it has the ability of "you may have pride of lions assign its combat damage as though it weren't blocked." If it is blocked by a card that also has the same ability can the card that blocked my pride of lions deal its damage to me?
I got a card Pride of Lions, where it has the ability of "you may have pride of lions assign its combat damage as though it weren't blocked." If it is blocked by a card that also has the same ability can the card that blocked my pride of lions deal its damage to me?

No. That ability only functions while attacking.

By the way, please make a new thread next time. This thread is over a year old.

Sign In to post comments