Just want to draft

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can you do simple booster drafts on MTGO? Thats all im really interested in doing.

Thanks.
Can you do simple booster drafts on MTGO? Thats all im really interested in doing.

Thanks.

That's one of the things MTGO is best at.  Drafts cost product + two tickets ($2).  However, you can re-use the boosters you have won in the next draft, so it usually ends up costing only a few dollars per draft or you make a profit if you're quite good.

Since you aren't really interested in casual or constructed tournaments, you can just sell your rares to help pay for the next draft.  Note that most cards are worthless on MTGO because of a large supply of cards, but many mythics can fetch a good sum.

Hope that helps.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Is there anywhere to find a tournament schedule and detailed rules for the tournaments?  I haven't been able to find one on the site.  
Drafts are held on-demand, when 8 people join a queue, the tournament begins. I think there's a similar thing for swiss 8-player sealed queues.

You can see the schedule for other events by going to the Premier Events and Daily Events rooms in-game. I'm not sure if it's published on the site.
Drafts are set up as queues, which means they start on demand.  On MTGO, this is evey few minutes for the most current format.  There are also some larger, scheduled tourhaments which can be found here: www.wizards.com/magic/digital/magiconlin...

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Yep, I feel the same way - only want to do drafts. However, I've read that it's not the most efficient in terms of earning back your winnings compared to other formats.
17382e99.jpg
Whats the differences between the casual draft vs tournament draft?

Are there still winnings in a casual draft? 

Are there still winnings in a casual draft? 

No.
Cas draft is essentially like ripping the boosters. But there's no entry fee either, obv.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Thanks for the help.  Got a few draft games under my belt now - really enjoyed the challenge, and being able to get more than just random cards from opening boosters.  But boy it can be a tough challenge.

I now have a phobia of Flyers, Deck-discards (Jace & that Merfolk fellow who magically appeared in spades after I'd played Rites of Flourishing) and the Timer.  By the time the third round came about the Timer was one of my worst enemies - one time I was so conscious of it I was trying to play as quickly as possible and made enough small mistakes that it lost me the game (with about 2:30 left to spare) by a dwindled deck.  In some of the instants and abilities I'm still learning how to use them with the interface, especially with unfamiliar spells (like cursing my own land because I thought I was tapping for mana - that really stung), obviously issues that would never happen IRL.

Not getting any boosters back really bites, but getting a Garruk, 2 Titans, Royal Assassin, Birds of Paradise and a couple of multi-lands and other useful rares helps to make up for it.  By the draft I was definitely putting up a much tougher challenge.
Thanks for the help.  Got a few draft games under my belt now - really enjoyed the challenge, and being able to get more than just random cards from opening boosters.  But boy it can be a tough challenge.

I now have a phobia of Flyers, Deck-discards (Jace & that Merfolk fellow who magically appeared in spades after I'd played Rites of Flourishing) and the Timer.  By the time the third round came about the Timer was one of my worst enemies - one time I was so conscious of it I was trying to play as quickly as possible and made enough small mistakes that it lost me the game (with about 2:30 left to spare) by a dwindled deck.  In some of the instants and abilities I'm still learning how to use them with the interface, especially with unfamiliar spells (like cursing my own land because I thought I was tapping for mana - that really stung), obviously issues that would never happen IRL.

Not getting any boosters back really bites, but getting a Garruk, 2 Titans, Royal Assassin, Birds of Paradise and a couple of multi-lands and other useful rares helps to make up for it.  By the draft I was definitely putting up a much tougher challenge.

Well, at least your luck with your rare pulls

Yeah, the timer can be a pain when you are first starting out.  My suggestion is to play a few casual games in the new player area with some of your M12 cards to get accostomed to how to go through the act of playing them on MTGO.  Also, there are keyboard shortcuts that'll help speed up your play.

See section 4.10 in the MTGO General FAQ
forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1017...

F2 and F4 are the ones I most frequently use, but others use F6 alot, depends on your play style.

Brilliant thanks!  I've been playing around with modifying the "stops" in the turns, I was banging my mouse in frustration before I figured out you could do this because I was trying to get some instants out before the opponents main phase.  But then I had to many stops for Draft that by the 3rd game time was a major issue.

So happy there's a shortcut for "ok" - I was trying space or enter to no avail, will definitely help me a lot. 
Sign In to post comments