Dark Sun ThunderCats

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anyone catch the most recent episode of the new ThunderCats "Ramlak Rising," on Friday?  I was getting a Dark Sun vibe watching it.  As they set out to find Mumm-Ra they traveled through the wastelands and ended up being low on supplies.  They come to the shores of the Sand Sea where they were captured by pirates who have a levitating boat.  They then were attacked by a tentacled creature called a Ramlak.

I'm enjoing the show and it was fun to see a lot of elements that DS has animated.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

I'm loving the Thundercats reboot. It's very well-done, more 'adult-oriented' I want to say. I'd love to see a reboot of Thundarr, too, in a similar vein (I want to like Thundarr but it's so poorly written and animated). These two shows are very much a sort of planetary romance scene, which is largely what inspired Dark Sun
Isn't the new edition of Thundercats great. My son and I watch it and i tell him about the original as far as Ramlak rising is that the one with the "sand piretes"? if so yea some great stuff there
My son is also enjoying the show.  Ramlak rising is the one with the sand pirates.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Yall have no idea how hard I cried during the Petlars episodeCry
Yall have no idea how hard I cried during the Petlars episode

It was a very touching episode.  Smile

----

Here's some clips from the Ramlak Rising episode.

Sand Sea:
www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/thunderc...

Ramlak Battle:

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Yall have no idea how hard I cried during the Petlars episode

It was a very touching episode. 

----

Here's some clips from the Ramlak Rising episode.

Sand Sea:

Ramlak Battle:

^_^  I enjoyed that episode too.  And I also thought of Dark Sun when I saw the Sand Sea!
yeah, i got that DarkSun vibe from it too for a moment... 

would be interested in DS campaign with razorclaw shifters as the thundercats...

this would be an awesome campaign... now i know what i want to run once the VTT comes out!!

would be interested in DS campaign with razorclaw shifters as the thundercats...

Yes!

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Some of the movement makes me think of teleporting ... eladrin/swordmage teleport reflavored as hyper fast or something.

Thanks a ton for the link and recommendation guys.. awesome stuff. 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I really want to like the remake, but I got bored real fast. The cartoon/anime has nothing going for it besides the occasionally Dark Sun-esque scenery. The story and pacing's a mess, the diagolue is laughable, and the animation unreliable. I felt like I was watching Naruto.

I thought the desert episodes of Avatar: the Last Airbender best captured the feel of Dark Sun. It had lost cities buried under sand, great mountain hives full of insectoid monsters (could be adapted to thri-kreen communities), primal spirits with great knowledge (that owl dude), and sand skiffs driven by sandbenders (psions?). Oh and [zombie] cactus juice. haha

(BTW, to the ones who complain on ANIMEEEEEEEEEEEEE...

The original was made, relying HEAVILY on japanese animators, and it SHOWS. It was semi-anime at the very start.) 
(btw, to the ones who assume people are complaining about ANIMEEEEEEEEEEEE in general ...

duh?)

Tongue out
This, my good lord, is a complain that come often for it, and similar things. And so, before hand, I bring it was always a 'bastard child' of anime, at start.
I really want to like the remake, but I got bored real fast. The cartoon/anime has nothing going for it besides the occasionally Dark Sun-esque scenery. The story and pacing's a mess, the diagolue is laughable, and the animation unreliable. I felt like I was watching Naruto.

What do you think is wrong with the story and pacing? I can't imagine the writers planning to make it any longer than two or three seasons at most, and I think three would be pushing it at the rate they're going. They're just not giving us a bunch of filler episodes of, "Oh we're lost in the woods again today" which is fine by me. I thought it was strange at first that they found the Book of Omens at episode six but really what's the problem?

The dialogue can be cheesy at times, yes, but it's not otherwise bad. It's a remake of an '80s show, of course it's cheesy. It's a kids' show anyway, they show it on Cartoon Network. I'm not saying that's an excuse but I'm saying you can't treat it like these writers are epic; they loved a show when they were a kid and now they get to redo it
What do you think is wrong with the story and pacing? I can't imagine the writers planning to make it any longer than two or three seasons at most, and I think three would be pushing it at the rate they're going. They're just not giving us a bunch of filler episodes of, "Oh we're lost in the woods again today" which is fine by me. I thought it was strange at first that they found the Book of Omens at episode six but really what's the problem?

The dialogue can be cheesy at times, yes, but it's not otherwise bad. It's a remake of an '80s show, of course it's cheesy. It's a kids' show anyway, they show it on Cartoon Network. I'm not saying that's an excuse but I'm saying you can't treat it like these writers are epic; they loved a show when they were a kid and now they get to redo it

I loved the first two episodes (the pilot/premier), but you have to admit that some of the scenes dragged on for no reason than to kill time. The next two episodes were really bad, where Lion-O was a reckless fool with Tygra being the level-headed one, and then one ep later, they've switched personalities!

The series is all over the place. First we have the attack on Thundara, then we have the silt sea....then a forest with little plant creatures?

The only real constant is that Lion-o is a total douche....but somehow Tygra is the bigger douche? I don't know how that is possible.

Oh and some of the dialogue has been absolutely horrendous - "My service to the crown has been an absolute privilege"! lol

P.S. In the pilot episode, when the Sword of Omens was sitting right beside Mumm-Ra and he did nothing in those painfully slow seconds while Lion-O ran to it, I nearly busted a gut LOLing. Srsly ...
P.S. In the pilot episode, when the Sword of Omens was sitting right beside Mumm-Ra and he did nothing in those painfully slow seconds while Lion-O ran to it, I nearly busted a gut LOLing. Srsly ...

At the very least you have a point there. Or in the latest episode he runs up that whole tower stairway and Mumm-ra still hadn't managed to catch up with him despite you know, he was flying
The new Thundercats is alright but you have to watch them, after the newest episode last night(friday september 2nd) it has been made to clearly go at least 3 seasons... you finally got some back story on it all... and from what those of us who watched the origional series could tell up untill last night was that all these humanoids were the descendants of the origional Thundercats and the various other thundercats that appeared through out the origional series.

they have changed things in some major ways, but the story is still unfolding

beware this contains spoilers

when Leo took the stones from Mum-Ra, i was like OMFG... i even blurted it out in front of my kids.  The armor that grew on them from the 2nd stone was cool, and i was all stoked about liono useing it after he got out of the book of omens... until Jaga said that the gems were scattered across 3rd earth.

with him now having to unite the animal races and find the 3 gems and fight Mum-Ra... its gonna be interesting to see how they hold the series together.  On top of that, you know he's gonna get sucked into the book again to learn something else out about the history of the planet now... maybe even another adaptation of the origianal series and eventually how they lost technology!!

aside from all this, it could be a very interesting Homebrew campaign setting!!!

races of thundercats(Lion,Jaguar,tiger,panther,cheetah,puma,lynx, sabertooth tiger)
ro-bear berbils(small robot bears)
amazons(human women)
wollos(small furry people)
bolkens(sheep)
Tabbuts(boars)
Hachiman(human samurai)
snowman(yeti)
tuska(walrus)
Reptilians(lizard-men)
Jackalman(they look like anubis)
Monkian(a simian race)
tigersharks(onle ever seen them in 1 episode)
Vultureman( vulture-like kenku?)
Ratar (skaven?)
i saw an elephant race also... all this is from the top of my head with out doing actual research (surprised i remembered that much!!)
Sign In to post comments