Figuring stuff out in terms of traveling

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Out of curiosity, how do most people travel to events?  My closest large scale events are usually SCG Opens (with the occasional GP), but my parents don't agree with me playing this game so they don't take me anywhere and I feel awful half the time having to ask friends for rides, unless they're going too and I'm not out of their way.  What is the easiest way to travel for an 18 year old trying to find a job without a car.

The reason I ask is I really want to go to PTQs and GPTs (okay, there was a GPT today, a friend offered to take me but i couldn't afford the $15).

I'm thinking that maybe the best thing I should do is finish my decks (I can barely afford $7 FNM) and sell my prizes back to the store and make the money that way.

So, this question is mainly to people who actually travel (Eater, Cyrus, LL7, etc), how much does it cost to travel to a place farther away (like I know Cyrus you are going to PT: Philly) so I know how much I should start saving up?

Sorry, if most of this thread is rambling, I am more or less trying to piece myself together (and thinking out loud).

Want to know how to keep a moron busy? Reread this sentence to find out!
Well, I'm sure this isn't the case for most players, but my parents will normally drive me to events within the state, and 1-2 out of state events. In the case when I don't have a car, my friends will normally give me a ride, and I pay the normal amount for gas. I can normally afford this from babysitting kids. Normally traveling isn't overly expensive, but the best way to afford it is getting a job (part-time or full-time) at McDonald's or something. Like, if your parents don't support you, that seems like the only option.
Out of curiosity, how do most people travel to events?  My closest large scale events are usually SCG Opens (with the occasional GP), but my parents don't agree with me playing this game so they don't take me anywhere and I feel awful half the time having to ask friends for rides, unless they're going too and I'm not out of their way.  What is the easiest way to travel for an 18 year old trying to find a job without a car.

The reason I ask is I really want to go to PTQs and GPTs (okay, there was a GPT today, a friend offered to take me but i couldn't afford the $15).

I'm thinking that maybe the best thing I should do is finish my decks (I can barely afford $7 FNM) and sell my prizes back to the store and make the money that way.

So, this question is mainly to people who actually travel (Eater, Cyrus, LL7, etc), how much does it cost to travel to a place farther away (like I know Cyrus you are going to PT: Philly) so I know how much I should start saving up?

Sorry, if most of this thread is rambling, I am more or less trying to piece myself together (and thinking out loud).

The best way to do it is to travel as a group in one car with other folks that are headed to the events and split costs. You can all squeeze into one or two hotel rooms (just becauses there's one bed doesn't mean the other three people can't bring sleeping bags and hit the floor). If you're ultra-poor, bring sandwiches and water/soda from home rather than eating out, or go to a local store and buy cheap food.

As far as how to get the money while jobless, you might consider trading the flashy rares you get in drafts for more spendable rares. I don't mean ripping other kids off, but there's no reason why you can't make a couple bucks on a deal (consider it dividends on your Magic knowledge). If nobody has any money, you can try to e-bay them.

And for "trying to find a job", I suggest getting a job like Burger King or Starbucks or the mall while you wait for that job you want to open up. Those types of places have a high turnover and are always hiring. There's nothing shameful about working at such a place. It's not where you work that matters, it's *how* you work.

I'll take you to PTQ Orlando next time it's here =D
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

i live near chicago so things tend to happen here and i'm near ong.

Anyways i take a 40 minute train ride to chicago and then the bus system is SO good there you could just take that to whereever you need to go.

or simply take the "L"
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]
You'd think more stuff would happen in the LA county area, but not really.  Most of my reason for not going to PTQs before was a mix of money, time, and not having friends who want to go.  I can drive, but...my car sucks and it would suck to drive so long and grind out a long event with literally nobody to talk to that I know.  There was an SCG Open down there not too long ago, but I missed that opportunity.  There should totally be a GP LA.

So basically, yeah, I see where you're coming from.  You want to step your game up to the next level, but the opportunity hasn't arrived yet.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
I don't go anywhere, ever.  I live in a hermit cave.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png

Ditto...

I mean Quagsire.

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

Mono: There's a really friendly group in Claremont that occasionally sends people to major events.  If you like I can send you the email address for the guy who's more-or-less in charge.

Also, I'm one of the hermit cave people, though not really by choice.  Western Maryland sucks.  Thankfully, I'm moving to the Baltimore area in a couple of days and starting a job shortly thereafter.  Maybe then I will actually try playing competitively?

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

I travel 1.5 hours by train to university every day; that's further than going interstate for some of you Nor'easters. I travel the same distance to go to a major tournament.

Do you guys not have a public transport system? It costs like 8 bucks return for child/concession.

I drive, but we only get 8 PTQ's per Pro Tour in the UK. I am usually happy to travel up to two hours to get to them, which usually means I hit 2-5 of them, depending where they fall. This PTQ season(for phily), I only went to two PTQ's. With a car full, it's not usually more than £10, but often much less, plus £10 for the tournament.

However pro level tournaments like Phily are costing me a lot more, unless someone can put me up or share with me etc, it's looking like $400+. Which is a lot of money even with the favourable exchange rate. Although I am playing for money, so 65th or above pays for it with extra money as well.(WOTC paid for flights)

I'm also attending GB nationals which is in the north of the country(I live in the south), so we are travelling up in a car, it looks to be about £10 each, and the hotel cost us £120 for three nights(three people), which is amazing value. GB nats has no money prize though, which sucks, so it's purely for a spot on worlds and Pro Points.

I'm then going to Amsterdam GP this year(legacy). I have a freind who is dutch so we are driving over there, which shouldn't take that long once we get the ferry to roterdam, and accomodation will be free/cheap, so again I'm looking at about £50 or so, maybe more due to the entry cost, but once again, I can win money back off of it to cover my loses, and pro points go down past 100th place, so that's good.

Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
I travel 1.5 hours by train to university every day; that's further than going interstate for some of you Nor'easters. I travel the same distance to go to a major tournament. Do you guys not have a public transport system? It costs like 8 bucks return for child/concession.

Same. I travel 2 hours to uni, and 2 hours back to home everyday. Sometimes, people complaining about travel distance, especially US folks, irritate me tons. 1-2 hours is nothing.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet

u no kool. u no play irl magik.
get a job?  bus system?  or just play online PTQs like me!  but i know you need more money for your MODO account....

would you like fries with that?

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I am lucky, as most of the small scale events are close to my house, but if it is outside of an hour-ish I usually just catch a ride.

For the big things like a local GP, Nationals, or TCG Championships, my parents support me. They essentially view it as going to a sports tournament. I am lucky.
Team GFG: Great Flatbread Gangsters
Accomplishments
Top 8 Charlotte Regionals 2011- Qualified for Nationals 1st place TCG Player Qualifier- Qualified for TCG Player Championship 2nd place SCG Invitational Qualifier Top 32 SCG Charlotte Open 2011 (7-2, stupid tiebreakers)
MTGO name: Battle7
hey kids, magic used to be viewed on ESPN.... so it is like a sport, right?   RIGHT?!?!

(lol, its a little sad its viewed as "like a sport", you have to admit)

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

You know what else is shown on ESPN?  MathCounts.  

8th graders doing math.

Yeah. 

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

we dont have a huge public transportation system as most everyone has a car... most of our public trasportation is simply within the city

The reason US folks complain about travel is the fact that they really cant do anything while they are traveling... whereas if you are riding a train it would be easy to study for the exam on friday or even take a nap if you needed... where as in the US it would be an hour or more lost because we are driving