[PEACH] The Pyromancer's pet dragon (counts-as Dragonborn Warden)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, our Tiefling Pyromancer has a pet dragon wyrmling. We've decided to build the character as a "counts-as" Dragonborn Warden (eventually PPing into Scion of Arkhosia). The goal is maximum synergy - the Tiefling has rather abysmal defenses and health, and uses area-effect fire spells virtually exclusively, so we've settled on a fire-based Dragonborn. Here's what I have so far:

Nevermind, the CB isn't allowing me to copy/paste right now, and the 'clipboard' button isn't working. In the meantime, here's a non-standard rundown:

L1 stats: Con 20 / Str 14 / Dex 10 / Int 8 / Wis 10 / Cha 13
Dragonborn choices: +2 Con/Cha, Dragon breath Fire (Con)
L5 stats: Con 21 / Str 15 / Dex 10 / Int 8 / Wis 10 / Cha 13
AC 23 / Fort 19 / Ref 15 / Wil 15
Init +2 / Speed 6
HP 71 / Bloodied 35 / Surge Value 25 (14 surges/day)
Trained Skills: Endurance +9*, Athletics +6*, Nature +9, Intimidate +10 (* Armor Penalty)
Theme: Guardian
Feats: Toughness, Swift Recovery, Swaying Branches
At-Will Powers: Nature's Wrath, Warden's Fury, Warden's Grasp, Thorn Strike, Playful Torment
Encounter Powers: Second Wind, Dragon Breath,  Guardian's Counter, Roots of Stone, Erupting Font, Rough Strike
Daily Powers: Form of the Walking Conflagration, Wellspring Strike

"Gear" (all innate bodily attacks/defenses; these are the "counts as") - 
Hide Armor of Resistance (Fire) +1, Brooch of Shielding +1, Heavy Shield of Deflection, Iron Armbands of Power, Maw of the Guardian Alhulak +1 

What I really need:

As many ways as possible to redirect attacks from the pyromancer back onto himself, or to otherwise punish people who try to target the pyromancer.
The aim of a defender is to make monsters respect your mark, and thus attack you rather than go after the squishy pyromancer. Like a fighter a warden needs to hit with his mark to do damage (and knock prone with swaying branches). For this reason you definitely need more than 15 strength. By level 5 you probably want to looking at 18/18 con/str at the least. You get double stat to damge through the maw of the guardian but you actually need to be able to hit to get this damage to have any effect.

As a warden you already have the most hit points in the game and you really have no need for toughness at this level. I would say having an aditional +1 hit by using a longsword and taking heavy blade expertise (this also gives you +2 to defs vs OAs, which you might need to prevoke if a monster manages to get between you and the squishy).

Just some thoughts.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I agree with Fardiz. A defender is more than just a bag of hit points, he should be a considerable threat himself to give enemies more incentive to target him. The idea is not to "redirect attacks from the pyromancer back onto himself", but rather to convince enemies target him in the first place, or make them feel pain if they don't.

The Pyromancer himself can help with this a lot if he stays well out of melee, uses his ranged attacks and let's the warden hold the front line.

What kind of weapon does the "pet dragon" get? If you decide to reskin his natural attacks, they should be equivalent to what a standard Warden would use.
Right now, I'm using a Maw of the Guardian +1 Alhulak. If I drop the shield, I might go with a longsword instead; they're both 1d8/+3.

Why would you need to drop the shield to wield a longsword? The longsword is a 1-handed versatile heavy blade with +3 prof and 1d8 damage.

Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Oh! Sweet then. 
Sign In to post comments