Retraining/Retooling a character from Game Day

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Would any DMs running Encounters care to comment on the ethicality of retraining/retooling a character that had been created on the Game Day? I guess the whole reason I'm bringing it up is because I'm a new player to Encounters and 4e in general and the character I created at the Game Day didn't really fit with my play style. After looking through the character creation books more in depth, I realized that it was really one of two options I wanted to do: retrain my Dwarven Knight's Endurance skill to Heal and Cleaving Assault to Poised Assault, or have him suddenly receive divine guidance and become a Warpriest instead. What are the community's opinions on this?
Wizard's first rule: People are stupid.
Would any DMs running Encounters care to comment on the ethicality of retraining/retooling a character that had been created on the Game Day? I guess the whole reason I'm bringing it up is because I'm a new player to Encounters and 4e in general and the character I created at the Game Day didn't really fit with my play style. After looking through the character creation books more in depth, I realized that it was really one of two options I wanted to do: retrain my Dwarven Knight's Endurance skill to Heal and Cleaving Assault to Poised Assault, or have him suddenly receive divine guidance and become a Warpriest instead. What are the community's opinions on this?

You have 3 days until the game so I would recommend contacting the Organizer for the game and posing this question to them.
Considering that the same rule for changing characters in last season is in this season, there really shouldn't be an issue.  When a player changes characters, they keep all experience points, but lose items and gold.  The only thing you'd lose is the gold reward from game day.  If your GM says no, then play him for one session then change.  That's why it shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks Devyn. That's what I needed to know.
No Problem....Glad to help.
I talked to two Encounters DMs at my store on Saturday with a very similar question.  Both DMs are allowing unlimited changes to your character and you get to keep all gold and xp from gameday.  From a practical point of view, it's unrealistic to allow only one hour to make a character on gameday and expect a player to use that character for a whole season.  From a story point of view, you can just assume that the "old" character gave the "new" character the gold and training (xp) and then ran off for the hills.

Keep in mind, the policy above was specific to changes made between gameday (8/6) and the start of Encounters (8/10.)  I don't know if the policy would be so generous if you make the character changes at another point in the season.  Have fun all!!
From my story point of view I'm making my old character "get religion" but yes it is similar. Thank you for the clarification. I get to keep my 300 gp then =)
While I am the author of the adventure, I'm not your DM, but I think it's fair for you to be able to change feats and skills and even class/race if it'll be more fun for you. The key is to have fun with this, not feel strait-jacketed by what you used at Game Day.

Cheers
Thanks for the reply Erik. And I must say the Game Day preview was really fun. Neverwinter is definitely proving to be a challenge, but a fun one at that =)

And I was thinking that something like being able to change stuff around was in place. No one but the DM who you play the Game Day with really keeps track of who your character is, which is why I posed the question as more a moral/ethical issue. I had assumed that if the season had already started, a new character would lose both gold and exp, so what's already in place already feels very generous to me (being able to keep exp, which to me is more important).

Anyway, here's to a fun season!
Sign In to post comments