Baby Beholder

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, lets just say you wanted to have a Level 0 Baby Beholder.  What stats/attacks would you give it, and how would you grow it, to say level 5?  Level 5 is where Beholders start in the Monster Vault!
Don't you mean level 1?

You can probably just downgrade the Beholder Gauth from level 5 to level 1 using the default rules for it (-1 attack/def per level, -8 hp per level, -1 damage per 2 levels) and be done with it.

Unless you have some kind of special purpose for it which doesn't include players beating the snot out of it when they encounter it Wink 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Simplest approach: I'd start with a Level 5 beholder and de-level it.

For level 1, take 4 off all attacks, defences and skills.

Hit points should be re-calculated according to role and type (Elite Artillery). I make that 54 HP for the L1 Beholder Gauth.

Damage is more complicated, but on average it is +1 per level, so you need to drop damage expressions down to get new averages.

Finally, I'd probably reduce the slide effect of the telekinetic ray down to just 2 squares, on a kind of "feel" basis.

For aging it, add +1 each level to attacks, defences, skills and damage.
Yeah, I meant Lvl 0, it is a baby after all  

The players are not meant to beat the tar out of it.  Its meant to be an NPC. 
Yeah, I meant Lvl 0, it is a baby after all  

OK, a suggestion:

Make it Level 1, RP it being a "baby" and make it behave inconsistently. Give adjacent enemies Combat Advantage against it. Make the two eye-ray powers Recharge 5,6.

If it's supposed to be an NPC then I'd base its stats on what it's supposed to do. If it's not supposed to be in combat it has stats of "who cares".

If it is supposed to be in combat and the PCs have to protect it, I'd base the stats around that.

Can you tell us what the encounter will be around? I'm sure I can come up with some interesting stats for it. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Given that beholders are half-mad hyperintelligent egotistical things from the Far Realm, the most important thing for a "baby beholder" isn't the stats but the story. Why is it alone? (be sure the PCs have access to clues to the answer, at least in part) What will be the consequences of having it in the party? What will happen as it matures? etc. . .
Two of my players reads this forum, so I have to put in this bit first -

PHIL and STEVIE from NORWICH - STOP READING NOW. 

SERIOUSLY

I MEAN IT

GO READ ANOTHER POST. 
I am thining of having them find an Egg, and if they manage to hatch it, the Beholder "imprints" on one of the players. 

It will be a baby, and it needs combat stats, as it will randonmly attack monsters, maybe the other players a bit(mostly status effects) depends on how it "grows up" and what the players do to it.  After all, if you kick the beholder, baby or not, your gonna lose your leg  

I like the ideas about de-leveling etc, and the players won't know the stats, only me.

Anyway, who wants to be chased by a deranged big daddy beholder, who only wants his child back?  Not me, thats for sure.   
Hm, if it's going to fight alongside the players, you might want to make it a Companion Character instead.

I'd say it'd be a Controller or Artillery and would have an array of eye-powers which it selects randomly for use. 

Also I wouldn't start it at level 0 if it's supposed to see combat, you're better off starting it at roughly the PC's level. Otherwise it'll just be killed the first time a monster randomly throws an Area spell at the party since it won't have the HP nor defenses to survive the battle.
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
Its not supposed to see Combat, at least not at first.  Plus, everyone knows that baby beholders have impenetrable shields :P 

Whats a companion character? 

Companion Character are from Dungeon Master's Guide II, they're basically rules designed so you can add an NPC to your party and have him act more or less like a regular character rather then as a monster.

While things don't see combat there's no real point to having combat stats for them; I'd just refrain from giving it any stats at first and just roleplaying it. Then design some stats for it once it's big enough to fight alongside the party. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
Hopefully those rules are in the compendium

Its not designed to see combat at first, but we both know how stupid players are.  Kick the baby behilder and loose a leg  
From 3e Lords of Madness p.41, if desired:
"Newborn beholders grow quickly. For the first few months of life, though, they are fairly helpless, since their eye rays take some time to develop. A beholder needs to spend several months observing magic before its eye rays develop fully. For beholders born in remote ruins or magic-fi lled dungeons, the proper development of their eye rays takes about two to three months. Until then, they keep low profiles and feed on smaller animals and beasts. In areas where magic is scarce, it can take up to a year for a beholder’s eyes to absorb enough magic to properly fuel its powers."

And from p.42: "A vast number of beholderkin exist. Not true beholders, these creatures do not share the race’s xenophobia... The death kiss, eyeball, and gouger are detailed in Monsters of Faerûn."
"Eyeball: An eyeball is a Tiny beholderkin with four eyestalks; they are popular familiars in some wizardly and sorcerous circles."
Ooh, Thanks for that. 

I will probably give him some low level status effects rather than actual damage, at least to start with. 
Speaking of, the Beholderkin is a current Arcane Familiar option (Dragon 374, pg. 28). You could have one of the arcane characters gain the Arcane Familiar feat as a substitute treasure item to gain control of the Beholderkin.
Simplest approach: I'd start with a Level 5 beholder and de-level it.

This. And of course... +1.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

Then it needs no stats.

[edit]
I actually mean that, even after having read the rest of your posts. It lives as long as you want it to live, and it dies if you deem it ready to die.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

Then it needs no stats.

This.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.