Archive Trap

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
greetings

the 13 cards are put on the graveyard before or after my oponent search the library?

Archive Trap
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
the 13 cards are put on the graveyard before or after my oponent search the library?

Archive Trap

They are put into the graveyard when archive trap resolves. If you're casting Archive trap for its alternative cost, then it must already be after your opponent searched his library.
let me put this example.

my oponent carst Demonic Tutor

at the same time e uses the card i use  Archive Trap

then the top 13 card are put in the graveyard after he gets is card? 
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
depends
are you paying or
proud member of the 2011 community team
let me put this example.

my oponent carst Demonic Tutor

at the same time e uses the card i use  Archive Trap

What do you mean by "at the same time"?

You have two choices:
1) respond to demonic tutor. Archive trap will cost and will resolve before the library is searched
2) allow demonic tutor to resolve. Later in the turn, cast Archive trap for . Archive trap will resolve after the library has been searched.

normaly i respond by paing the 0 cost

thanks for the help

best wishes 
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
normaly i respond by paing the 0 cost

that doesn't work unless he searched the library before with a different spell

proud member of the 2011 community team
To elaborate - if you want to pay 0, you have to wait until after your opponent has searched his library. In other words, casting it in response to Demonic Tutor (i.e., when Tutor is still on the stack) is too early to allow you to pay the 0 cost, because Tutor hasn't yet resolved, and so your opponent hasn't yet searched his library (assuming he didn't already search it earlier in the turn due to a different ability/spell).

If you want to pay 0, you need to wait until Demonic Tutor resolves. Part of the Tutor's resolution is searching the library and selecting a card. Necessarily, the 13 cards from Archive Trap will be put in after your opponent searches his library.

If you want to pay the regular casting cost of Trap, you can do so in response to Tutor. In this case, Trap will resolve first, your opponent will put 13 cards in the graveyard, and then Tutor will resolve, allowing them to search the remainder of their library. 
Rules Advisor - 10/24/2010
ok, so if i wait after they search their library and then play it for the 0 cost, is its converted mana cost now 0 or still 5?
The converted mana cost of the Trap never changes, no matter how much you pay for it. The converted mana cost is always 5, whether you're casting it for its normal cost or its alternate cost.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

I realize the difference when casting Archive Trap in reponse to a tutor vs after said tutor has resolved; however, my question is in regards to the instant tutors that put the card on top of library: Vampiric Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, etc. The group I play with (EDH) that have use these types of tutors, usually only cast them at the end of the turn prior to their own as a way to lessen the chance/risk the tutored card is milled away before they can draw it. Is there time to cast Archive Trap for on that same end of turn after the tutor resolves? I know I can just cast the Trap on the Tutor owner's upkeep before they draw the tutored card, but that would be for since no opponent would usually tutor during this time.
Is there time to cast Archive Trap for on that same end of turn after the tutor resolves?

Yes.
To elaborate:

Yes, because a phase or step does not end until all players have passed priority while the stack is empty.

So, after your opponent's Enlightened Tutor (for examle) has resolved, the active player will receive priority.  If they don't have anything else to do, they'll pass priority and it will go to the next player, and so on.  You'll get priority to use Archive Trap eventually, and you can do so for its alternative cost.

Also, in the future, please start a new thread for your questions, as it's generally frowned upon to revive threads that are over a year old. 
Sign In to post comments