Maps, tiles and miniatures?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I personally always like to buy straight off amazon, so can anyone please link me to amazon pages that can help me find:

1. Maps, terrains like forests, caves and temples.
2. Miniatures, preferably gnolls, kobolds, undead, goblinoids, orcs, humanoids and aberrations (mindflayers forever! Laughing), no underwater creatures, bugs or animals please. Also, are there -sets- for this stuff? I hate ordering booster/starter packs that only contain around 8 or so miniatures. I used troll and toad to order a randomized set of 150 miniatures but thankfully they can link to amazon so that the order is placed through amazon's systems.

On a quick note, I've been a little confused on this, but are tiles there to spruce up maps, or to string together to form maps of your choosing?

I already have old miniatures I currently use and they're an eyesore (think old hero quest board game), they're in need of serious replacement. I'm beginning to wish I'd come here for advice in the first place, a few days ago I placed an order for quite a few miniature booster packs.

I don't mind non-amazon sites, but only if they can link back to amazon so that the order is placed through them. I'd LIKE to order bulk, but I'm noticing some of the more stylish looking models are the new 4e ones, and I don't think they sell those bulk.
D&DI The product links will get you there. Or just search on Amazon for 'Dungeon Tiles'. I don't see anything much on Amazon in the line of figures. Safari does sell a lot of figures, which I guess are mostly around 40mm plastic painted castings. They don't look bad at all, but are a bit large. They have good prices though and the dragons might be pretty good, though not having seen any of them it is hard to say how nice they really are.

There are a whole number of good quality online vendors of gaming figures. Don't know any of them that particularly go through Amazon though. I'm thinking you'll have better luck using Paizo or one of the other established vendors.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
You could check to see if CoolStuffInc or Troll and Toad has a presence on Amazon.  If so, they may sell their miniatures there.

Celebrate our differences.

You could check to see if CoolStuffInc or Troll and Toad has a presence on Amazon.  If so, they may sell their miniatures there.

TnT does. They have a lot of stuff listed but not much in the way of minis. I've bought from other online retailers in the past and I would say you'll really find a lot more variety and easier shopping elsewhere. The real problem is it isn't all that easy to find just minis on Amazon, and then you have to mill through the results. Amazon is nice to deal with, but OTOH your better online RPG suppliers are pretty reliable (like TnT I guess, haven't ever dealt with them).
Auggies Games.  lots of singles.  good prices.  cheap, fast shipping.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Just search amazon for 'Dungeon Tiles Master Set - The Wilderness', and 'Caves of Carnage'. Don't know of any temple kind of tiles in print. Non-essential dungeon tiles get out of stock after about a year. The master set 'the dungeon' is pretty generic.
The master set 'the dungeon' is pretty generic.

That's the idea. Usable in multiple scenarios.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Thanks for the advice all, will try out the other sites. I just discovered that on amazon I'm buying some of the miniatures from other independant sellers, I'm hoping that it's merely that they're out of stock, not that they're not being made any more (they're pretty new, would be crazy to not be making more).
Thanks for the advice all, will try out the other sites. I just discovered that on amazon I'm buying some of the miniatures from other independant sellers, I'm hoping that it's merely that they're out of stock, not that they're not being made any more (they're pretty new, would be crazy to not be making more).

Eh, a lot of the manufacturers tend to come and go, or only revisit specific castings now and then. A lot of stuff that is out there is very old stock too. Something 'new' will show up and it is often some stash of old stuff that surfaced in some distributor's warehouse someplace from 10 years ago, or a recast of something that was done who knows when. Most places making minis these days are farming all the manufacturing out anyway and often stuff is small runs. It isn't a real high volume business. 99% of what you see out there got cast in one short run and MAYBE will get another run someday.
for maps id say paizo

paizo.com/store/byCompany/p/paizoPublish...

dnd unfortunately missed the boat with a lot of this. in the past they would rather them be sold on ebay for outrageous prices. they finally announced they would sell maps at gencon, but it will likely take them months to start doing so

dnd is still the leader in tiles though

For miniatures, your best economical bet is to buy collections off either an auction site, or from minis collectors on one of the minis sites (Maxminis, Hordelings, Plasticrypt, etc...)   This gets you the most minis for the dollar, although sites like Auggie's are also very good to pick up specific figures you want.  Note that figures add a visual appea to the game that any people enjoy, but are clearly not necessary - you can use any old thing to represent PCs, monsters, etc...  A cheap and viable method is just to make your own tiles by printing pictures and cutting them to make your own tiles.

For maps/tiles/etc..., there are dozens of directions to go. 

Maps tend to be ~$5 to $10 each and come in dozens of different packaging methods.  WotC, Paizo, and a few other companies make them.  I recommend only buying maps if you can reuse them.  Good maps to buy, IMHO, are wilderness settings, ships, taverns, keeps, and other locations where the PCs might have multiple fights.  

Tiles can be used to either modify maps (something I often do), or to make an entire dungeon.  I find that making an entire dungeon with tiles does not work for me, as it constrains PCs too much and it is too easy to destroy the dungeone by bumping the table.  There are work arounds, but they tend to be cumbersome.  

Another solution is vinyl battle mats that can be used to draw on over and over, allowing you to make all your dungeons on them.  Chessex makes some nice ones.  These also are the easiest maps to change on the fly - to allow for collapsed areas, etc...

I also buy 1" grid easle paper on occasion to make maps that I plan to reuse often, but that do not exist in premade maps.

About 40% of my map use is done on premade maps I've acquired over the years - mostly from Paizo, the Fantastic Locations Series of maps, and DDM maps, 10% on easle paper, and 50% on Chessex battle maps.  I use tiles, toys and other miniature sized features to supplement my maps.

If you're new to the game, I suggest buying a Chessex map and printing your own tokens to start.  Then, allocate a small portion of your RPG budget to figures and maps and slowly build your collection.  However, you may wish to consider what technoogy is going to do to the game over the next decade.  I strongly believe that most of us will be playing D&D on either a TV screen or a computer screen in the next decade.   

D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
for cheap maps? 

go in my sig & click on the  Graph paper link. you can create 1 line per inch square grids you can print and "piecemeal" your own dungeons in this fashion. i recommend using the light blue color for the lines: they're visible enough to show but not too

alternatively, i would recommend you print 4 of them and tape them together, then buy some overhead transparencies and simply use them as wipe-away piecemeal dungeons/tiles. 

for cheap minis?

check my sig for tokentool. it's a free java app you can use to click and drag images from the web (you can get free profiles from my sig or the various image boards/google searches), then zoom/crop them into different size .gif and save it.

use the GIMP software (again, my sig & totally free) can be used to create "sheets" of these tokens and you can even number/alphabetize them since GIMP is like a free Photoshop. 

i recommend having a few quarters or pennies around to tape the paper tokens to
3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2
Hey there. I can vouch that RPGNow.com has some great maps on the cheap. I myself have a little online shop right over here under the D20 Cartographer label. I can also fully recommend the Fantastic Maps series by Jonathan Roberts under the Rite Publishing label and the Fantasy Maps label. There is a pretty good selection on RPGNow, but there is a lot of rubbish to wade through to find the gems. They are there to be found though, and publishers like me and the Fantastic Maps series have extra perks like VTT support.
The master set 'the dungeon' is pretty generic.

That's the idea. Usable in multiple scenarios.

Apparently that grey stone flooring is the cheapest they sell at Lair Depot.
Try Auggies- he has the lowest price on miniatures and offers Amazon prices on D&D products. Troll and Toad is just as good but they charge more for shipping. Also, Auggies is an awesome dude.
Try Auggies- he has the lowest price on miniatures and offers Amazon prices on D&D products. Troll and Toad is just as good but they charge more for shipping. Also, Auggies is an awesome dude.

Excellent suggestion!!!!!
GMT +10 (Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ....)